Options

How do you determine if your T@b is level?

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
I have noticed that one of my levels is off. It's either the one on the front for side to side or my flat round level that I get really sit on the stovetop cover to determine if I am level. So, I started measuring at different spots today and realized "level" varies, depending on where I measure.

Where do you place your level? 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    On the propane box for front-to-back. On the Norcold fridge (top of the black plastic facia) for side-to-side.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    I have been using a high quality 1' carpenter's level on the floor near the door, first side to side, then front to back. Per PXLated's recommendation I did compare the fridge frame to the floor and once I was satisfied they were very close, I just use the floor. I am careful to get the bubble right in the middle of the window. I have had no problems with the fridge working properly using this method.

I did buy a pair of those little stick on levels but the carpenter's level is so accurate and easy I never stuck them on.

I'm interested in hearing others' experiences too. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    I was using a 2' level but decided I didn't want to bring one that big. I find my little round bubble level to be the next best thing. I usually do an aggregate of floor, stove top and propane cover.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Thanks to someone here explaining the relationship between using Legos and the graduated levels that tell you how many Legos to use (or how many inches to level). When I got to a campsite that was perfectly level, using the level on the countertop, I attached one level above the fridge (for side to side level) and one level under the water pump switch (to the left of the sink, using this one for front to back level). I can see both of them from the door and I just have to remember which side to put the Legos under the tire. 

You just find a place that you get consistent results for level and always use that spot, and your results will be consistant with your previous campsites. Countertop, floor, tongue box, tongue frame--whichever. 

My results are consistant with the one perfectly level campsite I found in January. 

LEGOS

GRADUATED LEVELS

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Well, I have yet to find a place that is perfectly level, including my own driveway. Someday...
  • Options
    @Photomom, make it level using one spot on your floor for side-to-side and for front-to-back. When you are satisfied, attach the graduated levels. Then you are always referenced to the site you know is level. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    I think my stick on levels went bad because I used to get the same readings from them as my round bubble level. I wonder if extreme cold impacts them?

• Options
    jkjenn said:
     I wonder if extreme cold impacts them?
    I know I'm not the one to answer that question ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    TommyTommy Member Posts: 175
    We use my wife's Iphone leveling app - on the kitchen counter ... point it side to side then front to back and ... good enough! haha
  • Options
    Tommy said:
    We use my wife's Iphone leveling app - on the kitchen counter ... point it side to side then front to back and ... good enough! haha
    I have a clinometer app on my iPhone too - eats battery like crazy if you forger to kill it!
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Jenn - Not sure about cold but they move if in the sun - That foam tape backing shifts/sags, etc. I removed the foam and used a double layer of Command Strip material and they haven't shifted at all this last year. I used to have two outside, now I just have the front to back one so I can immediately see where I'm at before I open the door. Then I use a 1ft level on the black frame of the fridge for left to right.
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I used a level inside the camper on the floor and got it level all directions, then placed sticky levels over each wheel well and over each front handle. Then I check those as I raise or lower the tongue and as I raise the BAL leveler.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Norbert1223Norbert1223 Member Posts: 82
    I use a carpenter level on the counter by the fridge, first side to side then front to back.  The last spot I was at I tried using the camco leveling block, chocked the opposite tire and when I unhitched the trailer rolled sideways and off the leveling block, freaked me out. Thankfully I still had the chains hooked to the tv.  The site was at a slop and in the middle went from pavement to dirt. I rehitched, rolled back on the camco block and chocked the hitch wheel.  I could not get the front low enough to get it level.   SO the next day I re-hitched moved everything and re-positioned.  I had to use the wheel dock without the wheel and I pulled the new BAL leveler out of the box.  I had the front as low as it would go without the wheel on and then had to lift the left side with the BAL about 3/4 inches.  Viola....level!   
    Debbie and the Bulldogs; 2016 T@B Max S; 2016 Toyota 4 Runner
  • Options
    In that situation (can't lower the tongue enough) use a block or two under each wheel to raise the whole camper - add a block to one side or other for side to side leveling.
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    I use one of those stick on triangular levels attached to the tongue. Lays flat with two levels on it. First time I used it the front to back didn't feel level, Checked it with my torpedo level and actually had to shim the  other one so it would be correct. Couldn't believe it, well, then I realized it was made in China. 
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    My very first camping trip I had to dig a hole under the jack wheel to level the camper front to back. I finally found a use for my old "U Dig It" backpackers trowel.
  • Options
    PSBreenPSBreen Member Posts: 13
    I also use a T level on the tongue. I must have got lucky and found a good one as everything seems fine. I messed up and left it on the tongue for 10 days and the liquid is no longer green though. :(
    Patrick
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Torpedo level on the counter...and I'm a finish carpenter.

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,502
    PSBreen,  where did you find that T level?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    We use an app on our i-Phone by the door, ,stove, and propane box.
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,432
    I just park it and give it a night. If I haven't rolled off the bed by morning, I know it's fine!  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    I think I like ScottG's method. Must be after a few home brews though!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    edited July 2016
    I just use a carpenter's level, similar to below, sitting on the tongue, flush next to the surge break.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    jkjenn,
    Ok, new method:
    #1 open door
    #2 step inside in front of fridge
    #3 close eyes
    #4 tilt head back
    #5 touch nose
    #6 if you haven't fallen over by now, you,re level!
    OOPS, wrong test :o
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    PSBreenPSBreen Member Posts: 13
    SAM That level came from Harbor Freight but I've seen them in other stores to.
    Patrick
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,502
    Yes, I found it on Amazon, too!  Thanks.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Norbert1223Norbert1223 Member Posts: 82
    Cyclonic Thats the same level I use.
    Debbie and the Bulldogs; 2016 T@B Max S; 2016 Toyota 4 Runner
  • Options
    I use the same level as well, only in blue. The blue ones are more accurate.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    I disagree - I'll put my red one up against your blue one any day :-)
  • Options
    Well yeah--everybody knows the red ones are the best. Too spendy for me, though, so I had to settle for the blue.
    2015 T@B S