Single Black & Gray Water Drain Setup

1235»

Comments

• DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    If you are talking about the one I designed. Yes I have done more than one.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Rolltide82Rolltide82 Member Posts: 89
    Exactly the one you did..... appreciate it!
    edited August 2017
    Not that difficult and you will love it.
    let me know if I can help.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Rolltide82Rolltide82 Member Posts: 89
    I love any excuse to go to Lowe's and Home Depot...lol
  • libertyolibertyo Member Posts: 33
    Getting ready to switch to single drain.  Also installing the outback aluminum platform.  Some of the configurations look like gray water handle is pointed up, others look like they'd work, but didn't see a pic posted with platform. Are both handles easy to reach?    
    "Bella"  2016 T@b maxs blue, towed by '18 Chevy Colorado ZR2 duramax diesel - yes NEW baby, accompanied by the Red dog
    Rural Liberty Hill, TX, near Austin
    libertyo said:
    Getting ready to switch to single drain.  Also installing the outback aluminum platform.  Some of the configurations look like gray water handle is pointed up, others look like they'd work, but didn't see a pic posted with platform. Are both handles easy to reach?    
    Yes
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    Search "single waste discharge for the outback."  I went with a cable activated handle for the gray valve because I didn't want to be rummaging around on my hands and knees.  The black valve is easy to access with the outback platform.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • libertyolibertyo Member Posts: 33
    Thanks tabaz!
    "Bella"  2016 T@b maxs blue, towed by '18 Chevy Colorado ZR2 duramax diesel - yes NEW baby, accompanied by the Red dog
    Rural Liberty Hill, TX, near Austin
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Roamey said:

Does anyone know if nucamp is producing this in production yet...2018s?
    Yup!
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
    edited September 2017
    I finally took the bull by the horns and decided to adapt this mod to my trailer.  I'd been given some good advice previously, have mulled this one over for months and finally got around to clenching my teeth, grabbing up some tools, my small hacksaw and going forward with it.  I'd also been told by a few members that this couldn't be done with the original plumbing in place and not to attempt it.  Well that was the first mistake, don't tell me that it's not possible!    :o   =)  hystericalgif

First step was to remove the old valves and cut bonds with the original black tank piping.  This area is close quarters and there is minimal space to cut this pipe.  Took me a few minutes but I started at the bottom and worked my way around the pipe to keep as much surface available as I could.  

From this point on it is really just measuring, cutting straight pieces of 3" PVC and ensuring that things line up.  Each trailer probably differs some, so everything is not equal.  have a good hacksaw handy for these cuts and a vice certainly makes this process of cutting easier too.  Create your assembly, put it in place and make certain that things all line up and that you have total confidence in the fit before attempting to make the assembly permanent as there is no second chance here.  

I was able to piece the assembly together but my vocabulary revved up a bit when I tried removing the straight piece if pipe from the 20.5 degree elbow above.  

Just wanted to show a shot of the full assembly prior to final hook-up as it's pretty close to what everyone else has done so far as appearance, angles, etc.  THANK YOU @Pop-T@B (Shawn) and @Dalehelman (Dale) for inspiring me with both of your prior mods, your insights into this project, in helping others attain it and making it all possible.  For lack of better words, this does take a bit of courage to throw abandon to the wind and to forge ahead, making cuts you know you cannot turn back on and reaching the final goal.  Feels pretty good right now!   =)

I was able to gain an inch or so here as there is some flex in the gray water piping and enough drop to ensure that gravity will do the rest.  I was crimped for time yesterday as my beloved Wolverines were taking on the Florida gators in Texas so I still need to install a "U" clamp here to snug the pipe up against the frame.  I'm sure a heavy duty zip tie would accomplish the same thing too.  

As noted above, there is room for either a large hose clamp should you prefer it or a heavy duty zip tip that could be installed around the frame.  But note that once the assembly is glued into place it is pretty rigid and beefy in my opinion.  

This is what things look like when completed.  This assembly can be adjusted according to your preference via the straight 3" pipe that goes between the two 20.5 degree elbows.  The elbows are the key here in that they allow you a means of adapting things.  This was a fun project and obviously very gratifying and a relief to get done!  

edited September 2017
    Nice work Mike. For those of you who are afraid of the cutting part. The method I used only requires one cut to the gray water drain pipe. If you were to cut in error it can be easily corrected. Keep in mind if you cut or glue incorrectly to the black water holding tank it will not be  reversible and will probably require a new holding tank. I am just saying  proceed with caution. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    I certainly do admire those of you who go after these great mods! For myself, I am getting this mod done at NuCamp in October. I just don't trust myself with my lack of DIY abilities. I have done some other mods on my T@b, but this one is just a bit too much. :) Congrats @Michigan_Mike on a great job!

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
    Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

As Dale noted, his mod allows you to keep your original valves and eliminates the gut check moment when you cut the pipe free from the black tank.  If you are not confident in attempting this one you shouldn't attempt it as Dale's note above is spot on.   And agree, the factory does these type of projects daily, they are the pros and they do have the means and wherewithal of correcting any mistakes should they make one.  
  • dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    @Michigan_Mike nice job....I knew it could be done and now your life at camp and the dump station will be changed forever...for the good that is.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
    @Michigan_Mike there is another reason to straight valve setup....  is the ability to use a Rhino Blaster Sewer Tank Rinser. I tried to use my Rhino blaster with my single valve mod and it can't shoot around the corner, if you know what I mean.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
    dsatwork said:
    @Michigan_Mike there is another reason to straight valve setup....  is the ability to use a Rhino Blaster Sewer Tank Rinser. I tried to use my Rhino blaster with my single valve mod and it can't shoot around the corner, if you know what I mean.
    I don't see the difference. Neither one is a straight shot. Am I right?
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
    dsatwork said:
    I don't see the difference. Neither one is a straight shot. Am I right?
    Nope your right, I was thinking that it went straight back to the 3" line, but it doesn't. I only used the Rhino blaster a couple of times, but it was useful for cleaning out the black tank before the changed to a single valve. Needless to say the negatives don't outweigh the positives, of the single valve. I'll just get a Valterra Master Blaster Tank Wand from amazon for $12.64 https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A01-0184VP-Master-Blaster-Tank/dp/B000BGHYDO That should do the trick.

• elmeauxelmeaux Member Posts: 44
    Was going to try to get this mod done before the weekend but NO stores (HD, Lowes, Ace, multiple plumbing specialty) in Houston seem to carry ABS pipe or fittings.   :o

2016 M@x S Sofitel - The T@bahoula
    @elmeaux
    3 of the abs fittings have to be  sourced through an RV supppy or Amazon. You will not find them at a regular  hardware store. The two gate valve parts and the  bayonet fitting.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • elmeauxelmeaux Member Posts: 44
    Yep. Ordered those, they'll be here tomorrow with Prime shipping. It's the others that aren't available locally.

2016 M@x S Sofitel - The T@bahoula
  • EMacDEMacD Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a used 2014 Tab.  Would this solution work for me?  Also I seem so have an unknown projectile lodged in the top of my blackwater drain.  Not sure if it was there when I bought it or not.  My bro in law thinks it was as he thinks someone tried to fix it.   Need to fix leak....  sigh  
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @EMacD,  I have a 2014 T@B S Max and @Dalehelman made his sewer mod on mine....and it is one of the best mods ever!  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    @EMacD
    Does your 2014 have separate gray and black water tank? ie two separate discharge valves.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726

Another happy @Dalehelman mod customer.  Really appreciate him figuring this out for the rest of us, and providing the parts list.  Had everything delivered, it went together easier than expected, and Dale answered all my stupid questions. Can't say I look forward to using this,  but yeah I look forward to using this! 😁

Going to be a lot easier with the  outback platform, even with an extension on the gray outlet it was really awkward.  Put it off for two years,  if I'd known how well it was going to go,  I'd definitely have done it sooner. 

Cheers Dale! 🍻
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

db_cooper said:

Another happy @Dalehelman mod customer.  Really appreciate him figuring this out for the rest of us, and providing the parts list.  Had everything delivered, it went together easier than expected, and Dale answered all my stupid questions. Can't say I look forward to using this,  but yeah I look forward to using this! 😁

Funny how we get excited over things like this but it beats having to unhook and re-hook up the hose!  I know your feeling as even small, incremental improvements like these make chores easier, more efficient and you wonder why this wasn't done earlier. 

Something I consider a big improvement or BIG time saver (and obviously more efficient) was buying the socket adapter for my drill and using it to raise and lower the trailer stabilizer legs when setting up and leaving.   So much better and sure beats manually hand cranking the legs up and down.  If I could only fine someone to bend over and do it for me while I sat back under the shade tree I could enjoy it 2X more!    =)