ARB sale and ARB informatipn

Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
edited February 2018 in Products and Accessories
If you are in the market for an ARB, this deal comes with a  free $125 insulation bag and a remote refrigerator monitor.  Oh, and free shipping and no tax outside of New Jersey! 

http://ok4wd.com/arb-fridge-freezer?redirect_mongo_id=579a7220863afb0aa9000023&utm_source=Springbot&utm_medium=Web&utm_campaign=Email
Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio

Comments

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Great sale!  If you order it, be sure to ask about the two wiring kits. The bottom $45 one seems to be the 15' cable I ordered to connect the ARB to my extra Zamp port on the tongue box, but I not sure what the other kit is for. Mine came with a 12V cord to plug into the cigarette lighter plug, and the other plugs into a 120V outlet. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Verna, thanks for the additional info, and thanks to SAM for the initial thread as well!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Fatman1966Fatman1966 Member Posts: 145
    Which size do people who have  this particular brand suggest. I have admired them for some time but never had the opportunity to open one up so I could review actual internal space. 
    @Fatman1966, I have had the 50 qt. ARB for 3 yrs. It's pretty much the same size as a "normal" 50 qt cooler, minus the yucky ice water ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Verna, I just realized that the optional ARB wiring kit provides the "non-cigarette plug style"  DC  threaded socket to allow you to tighten the plug and keep it from falling out of the socket while in transit. We purchased an additional DC power cord to be able to use the ARB in 2 different places. In our case, we will use one DC cord in the CSS galley with the threaded DC end and keep one for use in the van.
    We received our ARB already!  Boy does it cool down fast - 30 minutes from 70 to 27 F.  Crazy quiet, too.  @Fatman1966, we purchased the 50 qt. as well.  
    SAM said:
    Verna, I just realized that the optional ARB wiring kit provides the "non-cigarette plug style"  DC  threaded socket to allow you to tighten the plug and keep it from falling out of the socket while in transit. We purchased an additional DC power cord to be able to use the ARB in 2 different places. In our case, we will use one DC cord in the CSS galley with the threaded DC end and keep one for use in the van.
    That makes sense. I just unplug from the cigarette light plug in the truck, plug the cord into the extension, take it out the window and plug it into the front tub Zamp plug. After 3 years I'm used to it. I also have a 40' 110V extension cord for when I plug into electric. 

It does make sense to use the DC threaded socket plug for use in the CS galley. Great idea. 

And yes, it does cool down quickly. I love my ARB!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    Verna, when you say Zamp plug for the ARB, do you have an actual 12 V socket within a hole of the tub?  Did you use that rubbery port provided in the wiring kit?
    Crazy question but can it be plugged into a regular wall outlet out of the box? 
    edited July 2016
    Crazy question but can it be plugged into a regular wall outlet out of the box? 
    Ok I now realize it's comes shipped with a cigarette type plug and a home type plug.

Will the 50qt size fit on the top of the counter (where stove and sink are) between the counter and cabinets? If it fits is it too much weight for that area? 
    SAM said:
    Verna, when you say Zamp plug for the ARB, do you have an actual 12 V socket within a hole of the tub?  Did you use that rubbery port provided in the wiring kit?
    @SAM, I rewired my 15' cord to suit my needs. They sent me an Austrailian 12V plug that was useless to me, so I cut it off, spliced a 12V cigarette lighter plug onto that end, cut off the other end and spliced an SAE plug that plugs into the spare Zamp plug I have on my tongue tub box. So, I can plug my ARB into either one of two Zamp plugs, and I can have the ARB and Zamp solar panel plugged into my batteries at the same time.  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    @Fatman1966, which model of the T@B are you referring to?
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    edited July 2016
    I have a 2017 Outback S max ordered. It's a custom build and will have the Softel interior so the sink will have the cover like the stove
    I do not believe the ARB will fit on top of the cabinets height-wise and width-wise. It weighs too much, plus there is no way to secure it during transit. 

I keep my ARB in the back seat of my truck and it hasn't moved an inch, not even when I had a near- miss accident and almost rolled my Silver Shadow teardrop and 2012 Ford Escape. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    That's what I was thinking. I was considering placing it on the counter at night verses when traveling. I think the weight is a big concern as you stated as well. I live with ice cream freaks! Ice cream freaks! So I'm looking to have a way to keep those treats for them while camping. Ha! 
    @Fatman1966--the ARB only cools down to around 0* (as I recall). Is that really cold enough for ice cream to stay solid?  27* is enough to freeze meat and water for ice cubes, but I'm not sure about ice cream. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    Not sure, I was hoping it would, I might have to add a few pieces of the wrapped dry ice. Good question. 
    Thanks Verna, now I understand.  In reading the ARB manual, it specifies that it should not be connected to a battery charger or AC/DC converter.  I spoke with an ARB tech and explained that I want to run it off of power (both 12 V and AC) from a converter on a RV and they specify that if it is a pure sine wave type converter - smooth osvillation of current - that it should be okay.  Now I am wondering if we should instead have a direct connection to the Tab battery.  Do you know of anyone who has run the ARB off the Tab outlets?
  • gooseladygooselady Member Posts: 177
    I've been shopping for a T@B tent, but may have to buy this instead.  The 50 qt seems big and heavy.  Anyone using the 37 qt model?  Does one just fill it and leave it in the vehicle?
    SAM said:
    Thanks Verna, now I understand.  In reading the ARB manual, it specifies that it should not be connected to a battery charger or AC/DC converter.  I spoke with an ARB tech and explained that I want to run it off of power (both 12 V and AC) from a converter on a RV and they specify that if it is a pure sine wave type converter - smooth osvillation of current - that it should be okay.  Now I am wondering if we should instead have a direct connection to the Tab battery.  Do you know of anyone who has run the ARB off the Tab outlets?
    @SAM, I have run mine from the outside outlet of my T@B. No problems. Remember that the ARB is a miser in its use of power. That one of its biggest selling points. 

I run run mine from the battery on the T@B because it is closer in distance, plus it was easier to install an exterior Zamp plug than to install a 12V plug inside the tub. Both my Zamp plugs slso are live even if the battery switch is off going to the T@B. This makes sense so I can charge the batteries with my solar panel. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    Verna, the outside outlet is AC and avoids the converter, correct?
    gooselady said:
    I've been shopping for a T@B tent, but may have to buy this instead.  The 50 qt seems big and heavy.  Anyone using the 37 qt model?  Does one just fill it and leave it in the vehicle?
    @gooselady, I leave my 50 at ARB in my back seat, and I don't move it until I get home. As long as I can get power for it during the night, there is no reason to move it. I plug it into the truck's cigarette lighter/12V plug during driving, which powers it. Since I have ARB's insulated cover, plus a couple of flannel dog quilts on top of it to insulate it, I can go siteseeing or shopping without worrying about the contents of the ARB. I just remembr to plug it up every chance I get. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Ok... last day to order and I purchased the 37 qt one (I don't eat a lot of fresh stuff). Since I have a pickup with 12v wired in the back, I ordered the slide and tie-downs so I don't have to struggle with the weight of the cooler filled up on the truck bed's rubber mat. So excited!!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    @Ratkity, you are going to be so happy!  No more yucky ice water ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    Is there anyway to bypass the thingamajig that prevents the 12v from working in the TV when the engine is off?
    I think that is called an isolation relay.  I read a Toyota Sienna forum where someone did that.  It involved soldering burned out fuses.  The ARB is so well insulated, I don't think you need to worry about it being off for periods of time.  You can always put in qt. bottles of frozen water as a bavck up.
    @gooselady, look closely at my photo. There is a lack cable coming out of the passenger door, going across the roof of the shell and then plugging into a Zamp plug on the tongue box. This is how I get around Toyota's "no 12V after the engine is off". It is one of the extension cords from ARB that I modified to splice a Zamp SAE connector to one end and a cigarette lighter socket to the other end. This way, I get my 12V over night from myT@B batteries, not the Tacoma. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
    Ok, Verna, 12v socket which you then plug the 12v connector in from the ARB, right?  And a Zamp connector at the other end.  But I only have 1 Zamp connector, and I want to use it for the Zamp solar.  What are my options to connect it to the T@B battery?
  • AllieAllie Member Posts: 194
    SAM, well the company sold another one.  Figured it would be a good investment for not only camping, but when I head to the grocery store here in 110 degree weather and want to make a stop after buying groceries.  They will stay cool.  Got the 37qt.  Good for one person.  May be able to alter the back of the CS to accommodate it since there is no fridge there, but there is the wiring.  Thanks for the heads up to the sale SAM.
    Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2018 Casita Spirit Dlx (KONDO)
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
    @gooselady, you could wire a 12V cigarette lighter plug to your battery terminals and either screw it to the tub's support across the back of the lid on the inside of the tub. Or you could order an additional Zamp plug from Elsie at Pleasant Valley, drill a hole in the side of your tub as I did, to give yourself two Zamp plugs. There are different ways to get the 12V from the battery so you can plug your cable into it. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN