Air Conditioning unit change out part 2, AC Cabinet modification

2»

Comments

• RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Frigidaire doesn't have a "vent" feature, but I've had other older units in my home that have had that feature. Just acts as a fan. I think the "low fan" and "high fan" is similar to it on the Frigidaire, but not 100% sure.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    You were right. The magnetic strips with sticky on the back do not do well in the heat. Oh well! Stick to the washers (pun intended). :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Pop-T@BPop-T@B Member Posts: 199
    I am going to look into having a custom set of flaps made, the cost maybe to high, if so I am just going to keep with the low cost plastic deflectors :)
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    edited August 2016
    I put a pair of deflectors on with command picture hanging strips. There is still about an inch between the back of the A/C and the louvers. In order to be 100% effective I think the deflectors should go through the louvers and touch the back of the A/C. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
    I agree, that is just much harder to get something to fit into the louvers. I still feel this is about an 80-90% improvement over nothing at all, even with the gap.
    Lowes trip this weekend! I already have the plastic industrial command strips up there for the cover I made for when the T@B is sitting next to the house. I forgot to take it off before the last trip and it stayed on (oops). I might have over-command-stripped the cover lol. Since they are there, I shall use the same for the deflectors. Still a wonderful idea. 
    Oh, I like that. Is that the industrial strength velcro?
    It works great @Photomom!! My cover is just white, alas. Same industrial velcro though!
    What did you all make your covers from?
  • Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    Geez Shawn, you should go to work for NASA. We could save Billions on the space program.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
    sign me up, that would be a great job!  :)
    I know someone who wrote software for the Shuttle. Very demanding job - your work has to be perfect every time. 
    Well, sounds like  am out. I only get it right about 1% of the time, according to wife. :)  
  • AldebaranJillAldebaranJill Member Posts: 451
    What do folks use to seal the space between the rear of the AC and the inside of the grille (so that the exhaust goes outside the box)?
    2013 MAXX T@B towed by a 2015 Volvo S60 5 CYL AWD Sedan
    Seattle, WA
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    What do folks use to seal the space between the rear of the AC and the inside of the grille (so that the exhaust goes outside the box)?
    The stock units come with a sheet metal frame that could be cut, shaped and taped to the back of the AC unit.,  That's how the factory does it using sheet metal and aluminum tape.  However if you buy a unit with remote control the AC unit sits snug up against the grill so that is not necessary.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 909
    edited November 2016
    "A question: Cold air comes out the top section (red arrow). I assume the lower section (red rectangle) is an air intake from the T@B's interior. If I put some kind of deflector on the top section (actually requested by DH because cold air blows right on his side of the bed) won't that just deflect the cold output air right into the intake? I can see the thermocouple inside the lower part; if colder air comes in, won't that trick the A/C into thinking the T@B interior is cooler than it is?"

Photomom - I made a deflector from a section of a piece of light duty 4" drain pipe.  I cut it the length of the opening and the width that made for the desired deflection.  It needed a small notch in the center for clearance around some vent frame.  It just slips in place when we need it to help move the cool air up in the T@B from the floor mounted unit.
    Maybe something like this could work for your situation.

• rcarlson1957rcarlson1957 Member Posts: 178
    Getting hot here in North Texas and have our TAB 320 in the sun in driveway plugged into shore power till we take it out for a trip next next week. Doing various mods but interested helping the A/C cool better. Noticed space between frame and A/C and can see outside daylight so fill it in with insulation as many others have. Also got deflectors for outside vents to help separate intake from exhaust paths. Inside the cold air blows across the inside roof and cool up high but could be better lower. So will putting a wing or deflector on the top exhaust of the Danby A/C unit to deflect the cold air down instead of across help disperse the cold hair better inside? 
    2018 TAB 320S Silver/Black w/Dandelions
    2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL (AWD) Lunar Silver Metallic
    Rick and Barbara - North Texas 
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
    Enjoy doing and sharing mods
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Cracking the vent and a window will improve air circulation in the TaB.  Maybe use a small fan, too.  Try deflecting it with cardboard and see if it makes a difference.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    They have the opposite problem over on the TaG forum.

I am using the Frost King HD5 Heat Deflector purchased on Amazon for $3.75, works good. A little hot glue and done.

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    @rcarlson1957...current T@G owner...be careful with putting your deflector pointing downwards..condensation can occur and leave wet fabric below...in a T@G that's our bed! keep an eye on it..
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 504
    POP-T@B I know it would take some engineering but by using drawer slides if the a/c could slide out when in use like it was designed to do, as it is a window a/c,  that sure would fix this problem! Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
    ontheroad said:
    @rcarlson1957...current T@G owner...be careful with putting your deflector pointing downwards..condensation can occur and leave wet fabric below...in a T@G that's our bed! keep an eye on it..
    I hadn’t thought about that. Makes sense for a TAG since A/C is low. It’s up near ceiling on TAB but I think I’ll try it out with cardboard 1st and see. Thanks!
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
    Cracking the vent and a window will improve air circulation in the TaB.  Maybe use a small fan, too.  Try deflecting it with cardboard and see if it makes a difference.
    I do on window but not on vent because thinking it will tend to draw hot air in towards AC since it’s so close. Like the idea of testing with cardboard 1st. Thanks!

More Smiles Per Mile! B)