Options

3 way fridge or no?

Looking at buying a Tab S.  The sales guy recommended against ordering the 3 way fridge since it reduces cabinet space.  He said most don't use the propane function.  Made the point that running the ac will require a generator when boondocking anyway and that will power the fridge in that situation.  Opinions?
Fred and Nicole Willison
Tulsa, OK
2017 Tab S Max Outback silver/silver

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Nice to see Little Guy opened a dealership in the Twilight Zone. Let me put my tinfoil hat on before responding. Don't buy the fridge because it reduces cabinet space. He's correct on that point. Personally, I'd rather have cold food than a laundry hamper. Most don't use the fridge on propane? The fridge works best on propane - uses very little of it to boot. Need to put a metal colander over my tinfoil hat for the next one. Opps. Sorry. No message from the Mother Ship on the generator/fridge comment by the salesperson.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited August 2016
    Yep, what Outback said. Propane works best.
    We're happy with the 3-way. We wouldn't be happy with a two-way.
    I wonder what the dealer is thinking. 
    I guess I'm confused. Does he think a two-way fridge takes much less space?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    He's suggesting running the generator 24/7 to power the fridge?

How do you intend to use your T@B? 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    Fridge good, cold milk good, cold beer good.  The fact that the fridge and Alde both run on propane was a strong selling point for me.  With solar panels and these two things running on propane I could camp for weeks without hookups and be very comfortable.  So the fridge was a big selling point for me. 
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Agree with all the above - If possible I think I'd find a different dealer, this one is off in la la land.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,442
    edited August 2016
    Yeah, what they said!

Does your dealer perhaps have a fridgeless T@B hidden out back that your sales guy is trying to surreptitiously unload?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    fwillison said:
    Looking at buying a Tab S.  The sales guy recommended against ordering the 3 way fridge since it reduces cabinet space.  He said most don't use the propane function.  Made the point that running the ac will require a generator when boondocking anyway and that will power the fridge in that situation.  Opinions?

Where are you located? If you will be doing all high elevation camping, I might not order the three way.  Otherwise, the 3 way is totally  worth it.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Jenn - My 3-way works great on propane at higher altitudes (7,500 so far).  Have you had issues with yours?
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Same with mine at 7-8500. Haven't camped higher yet.
  • Options
    OutbackAZ said:
    Jenn - My 3-way works great on propane at higher altitudes (7,500 so far).  Have you had issues with yours?
    Yeah, seems to be above 8,00'. I had previously used at 9,000' with no issues but found it worthless between 8,00-9500' this summer.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Maybe it needs a refrigerant recharge, Jenn.

I know I 'overcooked' an absorption fridge once, which made it work way less efficiently.

I wonder if the system can be checked for refrigerant like a standard AC system can be.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ChanW said:
    Maybe it needs a refrigerant recharge, Jenn.

I know I 'overcooked' an absorption fridge once, which made it work way less efficiently.

I wonder if the system can be checked for refrigerant like a standard AC system can be.

If that were the case, it wouldn't work in DC or AC, correct? It was working fine in those modes and appears to work OK in lower altitudes. I need to do a longer lower altitude test. Maybe I can get to that this weekend.

• Options
    Machak88Machak88 Member Posts: 160
    Depends on where you are and how you intend to use your T@B. We ordered electric fridge because we do not boondock, we go mainly to GA state parks all of which have electric+water hookups. We just LOVE extra cabinet space we have because of our refrigerator choice.

2014 T@B S-Maxx with 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, Atlanta, GA. 
  • Options
    fwillisonfwillison Member Posts: 35
    edited August 2016
    The cabinet space in a tiny trailer is pretty important.  Some facts are necessary to judge: How long will the fridge run on battery power?  How long must I run a generator to recharge the battery?

Additional facts: the battery obviously recharges while towing/driving, and I intend to use the AC when camping in the summer in my area which necessitates having a generator when boondocking.  (not sure but maybe 50/50 boondocks vs. full hook up use).
    Fred and Nicole Willison
    Tulsa, OK
    2017 Tab S Max Outback silver/silver
  • Options
    There's more storage space than one would expect - Almost need to spend some time in one poking around and thinking about what can go where.
    FYI - If you're running the fridge on battery while towing it may not charge, just maintain - or even lose if your alternator isn't up to the task.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    There's more storage space than one would expect - Almost need to spend some time in one poking around and thinking about what can go where.
    FYI - If you're running the fridge on battery while towing it may not charge, just maintain - or even lose if your alternator isn't up to the task.
    This is true - especially behind the back bench. I think most of us have not really tapped the potential for innovative use of that space, yet. I think we will have see what @Pop-T@B
     comes up with. :wink:

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,442
    fwillison said:
    The cabinet space in a tiny trailer is pretty important.  Some facts are necessary to judge: How long will the fridge run on battery power?  How long must I run a generator to recharge the battery?

Additional facts: the battery obviously recharges while towing/driving, and I intend to use the AC when camping in the summer in my area which necessitates having a generator when boondocking.  (not sure but maybe 50/50 boondocks vs. full hook up use).
    The 3-way fridge is not designed to run on battery power. If you do so it will deplete the battery very quickly. The fridge's DC setting is intended for use only when the fridge has been pre-chilled (on AC or propane) and when the trailer is attached to a running tow vehicle with an auxiliary 12 volt line. However, as others have noted, using this feature may make it difficult for your tow vehicle to recharge your battery on the road.

If you are going to have a fridge, and you intend to dry camp/boondock, running it on propane is the way to go.

Prior to this season, I weighed the generator vs. solar options for recharging the battery. I don't recall the specifics, but I came away with the impression that the generator would need to run for several hours to properly recharge the T@B battery. Since I have very little need for A/C, I opted for a larger battery and a solar panel. YMMV.
    2015 T@B S