Options

Weatherstripping flew off in hot weather!

LeeiamLeeiam Member Posts: 1
I saw several posts about this over a year ago, but I didn't see a conclusion.  I own a 2015 CS-S T@B that I bought about a year ago.  No problems until this week.  The difference...the hot weather.  With temperatures above 95° the weatherstripping became very pliable, expanded and popped out of the aluminum track.  Then the wind caught it and ripped the rest of it out.  Then I had a black streamer whipping in the wind alongside the T@B, first one side popped loose and then the other.  So I stuffed my streamers into the front window, closed the window and headed for the Oregon coast where the temperature is 60°.  Based on the timing mentioned in the other posts, I presume that I have the later, stiffer weatherstripping.  At 60° the weatherstripping is quite stiff and would hardly stretch at all.  The front end of the weatherstripping is anchored by the handle surround.  The back end is stretched past the end of the aluminum channel and tucked under the trailer where it is held in place by a piece of very sticky mastic tape.  I presume that the point of the factory rep. using a heat gun was to heat up the weatherstripping so it could be stretched to provide some tension before anchoring the end with the mastic tape.  As a temporary fix I tried stretching it about 8" and anchoring it with a piece of duct tape.  That worked for about 15 minutes until the weatherstrip expanded further, popped out, and rhe whipping action tore the duct tape.  I could easily get the weatherstrip to stretch as much as two feet or so and maybe anchor it with a screw and washer under the trailer, but I worry that the tension created when the temperature cools to 50° might break the weatherstrip.  So, do I have to resort to the shoe goo solution, or does the factory or anyone else have a better solution?

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
  • Options
    AllieAllie Member Posts: 194
    The same thing happened to me coming back from Santa Fe.  Both ends were still attached but the rest was flapping.  I cut it at both ends then said, I'll fix it when I get home.  Just wondering if maybe I should take some silicone and give a few dabs when I install the new trim?  I bought a new roll from Camping World.
    Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2018 Casita Spirit Dlx (KONDO)
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
  • Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    Are you all talking about something other than the filler strip in the keder rails?
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Shoe Goo, available on an end aisle at Walmart in the shoe department, has been used for years to keep this particular piece of rubber trim in place. Dab the Show Goo every 6-8" replace the rubber trim and it has been reported as staying in place for years. 

Use the seatch feature to seatch for Shoe Goo--lots of people have used it. 

If your rubber trim is not re-usable, this same trim can be purchased at any RV shop--take a piece so you get the correct size). 

Your Pleasant Valley warranty is one one year from the date of purchase for the original owner. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    I think this is also the same trim that covers the screw rails on aluminum truck caps. I got some on ebay a few years back.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I did the same thing as V, used shoe goo. I had trim replaced and the rubber weather strip on that side just wouldn't stay put. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    edited August 2016
    To avoid confusion, I'm deleting my stupid comment. :)

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    What confused me is I've never examined a CSS model closely so can't recall if they have the rubber seal that runs along the plastic trim on the other models so was thinking keder rail also and the same thought as RZRBUG.
  • Options
    Not the black molding in the keder rail, but there's a black rubber strip that runs along rooftop portion that is tucked into the side roof trim the entire length of the roof to the bottom panel. It's a rain and debris gutter. Don't think it makes a lot of difference if it gets loose for a little bit of time. It is annoying to drive down the highway and see it flapping in the wind!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    So Ratkitty, the CSS models have the same rubber seal as the other models?
  • Options
    I dunno, PXL. Never inspected one close. The rubber seals are on either side of my T@Bitha roof trim.
  • Options
    That's where we're confused, we all have non- clams.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    It came out of an aluminum track.  What could it be other than the keder rail?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    SAM said:
    It came out of an aluminum track.  What could it be other than the keder rail?
    @SAM, the CS (Clam Shell) models are made without the colorful plastic trim of the other models. Therefore, there is an aluminum track on the top edge that extends from the front bottom to the rear bottom. This is where the screws are that hold the fiberglass embossed solid body pieces to the frame. The black rubber covers the screws in this aluminum track. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    Is the black strip on the outer edge in this picture from the Tab Rv website what you are talking about!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Yes, @SAM
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    Yep happened to me too. Glued in place every foot or so. It's stayed put since. Travelled in temps over 100. No issues. I don't remember what glue I bought but it reminds me of rubber cement, or maybe model glue. Kinda stingy. 
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• Options
    Grant_KGrant_K Member Posts: 9
    Hi folks, I have a 2006 Clamshell and experienced the same problem with the black trim material. Never thought about using Shoe Glue, instead I used black RTV (which I had on hand) placing a dollup every foot or so. Have had no problems since.
  • Options
    cookdavcookdav Member Posts: 1
    That plastic trim on my T@G is white. It "dry rotted" and started coming off in pieces as I drove down the highway!  I called Pleasant Valley and they sent me a 50' roll -  FREE! Haven't replaced it yet, though. I was looking in this forum for instructions when I discovered this conversation..
    Cookie D.
    Houston, TX
    2016 T@G/2015 Ford Escape