Options

Alde Heater

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    Math major! Now the truth come out. I've met plenty of kooky ones, but never one with a feeble mind.  ;-)

You may already know this, but just in case...  In newer construction, 15 amp receptacles are frequently connected to 20 amp circuits. This is perfectly legitimate, as the receptacles themselves can handle higher amperage--the rating is more about the type of plug that will fit in the holes.

Check the breaker/fuse on your garage circuit. If it's 20 amp, the wiring should be sufficient to run your Alde at full tilt with reckless abandon!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    But not totally reckless abandon...  
    Limit your extension cord length, and make sure it's a heavier gauge cord.
     B) 
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    BillLBillL Member Posts: 1
    On the original subject of the Alde Heater not working, I have found with mine that I have to have the water heater selector turned to ON in order for my Alde Heater to work!  The squiggly arrow things on the left side of the control is the water heater selector.  I put mine to two squigglys.   I have no idea why but it works and I just keep on doing it. :-)  Then I turn the thermostat wide open until I feel heat.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I got rid of the original thermostat and installed a new digital thermostat and it has made using the Alde a dream and the heating of the trailer is far more efficient and the temperature stays as set.  It was well worth the investment and time spent installing it.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Bill ... Sounds like you have the analog thermostat as I do...
    The squigglies on the far left (slider #1) are lightning bolts and are for if you are hooked up to power. The 2&3 positions are the same here in the U.S. If you're not hooked up to power, you can leave slider one off.
    The second slider is for running on propane. If you are hooked up to electricity, this will give you a propane boost and heat things up quicker.
    The third slider controls whether you want both heat and hot water or just hot water.

Right now I'm boondocked so slider 1 is off, slider 2 is on propane, and slider 3 is on both heat and hotwater - it's nippy at night here.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Bill ... Sounds like you have the analog thermostat as I do...
    The squigglies on the far left (slider #1) are lightning bolts and are for if you are hooked up to power. The 2&3 positions are the same here in the U.S. If you're not hooked up to power, you can leave slider one off.
    The second slider is for running on propane. If you are hooked up to electricity, this will give you a propane boost and heat things up quicker.
    The third slider controls whether you want both heat and hot water or just hot water.

Right now I'm boondocked so slider 1 is off, slider 2 is on propane, and slider 3 is on both heat and hotwater - it's nippy at night here.
    You mean to tell me you've been riding around for over a year with that new digital thermostat in your trailer and haven't installed it yet?  smilie
  • Options
    22.5 months to be exact :-)
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    22.5 months to be exact :-)
    Next time you're in Michigan stop by and I'll install it for you!  smilie
  • Options
    BillL, the squiggly arrow things are the electrical wattage selector for the Alde, for using shore power for your heat source. They aren't the water heater selector.

One lightning bolt represents @ 950W, also, two lightning bolts represents 950W (it's a European controller being used in US), while three lightning bolts represents 1900W.

The flame indicator on the second-from-left switch represents propane as the heat source. 

You can use either electric or propane, or both, but you must have one or the other selected for the Alde to function at all.

You also must have the third-from-the-left switch on, either choosing room heat plus hot water, or only hot water.

I've attached the instruction manual for the controller, it's the European version, in many languages, but it covers it generally.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Mike - Thanks for the offer :-)
    Back when I got it you had to make your own faceplate so being on the road I couldn't. The install sounds easy and one can get a faceplate from Elsie now. Just haven't had a reason to make the change.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    V will get her saws out, PXL! Just get out of the way if you see a "Jason" mask anywhere near the bench (j/k!!!). Verna is an AWESOME artist when it comes to woodwork.

I have an old house and several receptacles on one 20A line, so I can trip the breakers on the T@B if I turn up the Alde to full force. It's just the nature of a 1935 home. If you use an extension cord, please do not leave it coiled or on one of those "roll up" devices. Current generates heat. My bro-in-law found out the hard way that running an extension cord from the house to two chicken rotisseris on a picnic table with a coiled extra-long extension cord got hot enough to not only melt the cord, but caused a wee fire. Just unwrap the cord, no biggie. If you are drawing too much amperage from the house through a cord to the Alde while testing it at home, a breaker will flip in the house at the most.

I have to ditto the ease of the digital Alde thermostat. My backer plate looks like it was done by a kid in wood shop, but it was adequate and I made it work. I'd much rather have a Verna-made backer plate! 

PXL, I bet Elsie would send you one for free if you gave her a call and you stayed in one place for more than 10 minutes. :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Yes peoples, it's a "one of these days" project :-)
    Ratkity - I'm sitting still. Unfortunately the post office in this little ghost town is long ago boarded up. Now if it'd just quit raining I might get some shooting done.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    Ratkity said:
    I have an old house and several receptacles on one 20A line, so I can trip the breakers on the T@B if I turn up the Alde to full force. It's just the nature of a 1935 home.
    That's peculiar. The scenario you describe should not be causing the breakers in the T@B trip. You might trip the 20A breaker in the house, if you have something else plugged into--and running--on that circuit. Otherwise, a 20A line is more than sufficient to power the Alde at full force.

(And yes, this assumes the T@B is plugged in with a sufficiently sized extension cable.)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    PXLated said:
    Yes peoples, it's a "one of these days" project :-)
    All you need is a keyhole saw and you will be good to go!   Once installed you'll be scratching your head and saying, "why didn't I do this long ago!!!?"   =)
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I offered to help PXLated last year. Maybe I should just cut a blank and he'll allow me to help him ;)

What flavor of hardwood lumber, PXLated?  Plain or some scrolling done on it?
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Cutting the hole is no problem and getting a plate is not the problem - thanks for the offers...
    You see, the problem is, it's like those fancy battery monitors, it's not something I "need" so it sits on the back burner kind of forgotten. If the analog one went on the fritz, it'd become a priority I'm betting :-)
  • Options
    ScottG said:
    Ratkity said:
    I have an old house and several receptacles on one 20A line, so I can trip the breakers on the T@B if I turn up the Alde to full force. It's just the nature of a 1935 home.
    That's peculiar. The scenario you describe should not be causing the breakers in the T@B trip. You might trip the 20A breaker in the house, if you have something else plugged into--and running--on that circuit. Otherwise, a 20A line is more than sufficient to power the Alde at full force.

(And yes, this assumes the T@B is plugged in with a sufficiently sized extension cable.)
    You're right. The HOUSE breaker blows, not the T@B (flips - fortunately, it doesn't blow up anymore since the Heavy-Up).
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    j_ntabownersj_ntabowners Member Posts: 133

Sorry, it took me until tonight to finally get around to digging into this again.   Football season is the blame,  right... oh Man I've got to get organized LOL. 

Good news!  It was just a blown fuse. I replaced both of the little ones and turned it on and I immediately heard it kick in.   Thanks so much from the group for the comments  and suggestions. You guys are the best.

Jim & Nadine 2015 T@b Max S pulled by 2016 KIA Sorento - East Wenatchee, Wa

States Visited Map

• Options
    Glad that's all it was :-)
  • Options
    gbellgbell Member Posts: 88
    My alde eats the 3.15 fuses. Had it on yesterday, turned main breaker and alde breakers off this morning before unhitching then at a new place today and same keep breakers off til needed and it blew again. Out for 2 weeks and 8 days we will need it. Any ideas,?
  • Options
    What if I were to pull out the 20 amp fuse? Before and after each use?  Even with the breakers off it is still receiving electricity from the 12v battery.  I have tried every combo except remove the 20 amp fuse.
  • Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    Not trying to state the obvious . . . If a fuse keeps blowing, it is either getting hit with a surge or there is something wrong that needs to be fixed.  As for the surge, are you turning your Alde off before cutting your main power, then turning on your main power before turning on the Alde?  If you aren't, you could be causing a "main line" surge, which could blow your fuse.  As for the breakers, those turn off 110, not 12 volt.  I would think that, even on propane, the Alde still uses 12 volt electricity to operate the electronics, so it should be getting electricity from the 12 volt battery.  That should be normal.  Anyway, in short, everything should be off that runs on 110 prior to turning your main breaker on or off or plugging into shore power.  If you are doing all of this, but still blowing fuses, there may be something wrong in the wiring somewhere.
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    I am beginning to think that.i even use a surge protector. I do all the above and it still blows them. Wondering if it would be from being bounced around while driving. 12 volt is on for power to the refrigerator, I remember reading in the forum that someone put an inline off switch to the battery to alde. This might need to be done.
  • Options
    I discovered the 2nd time out, when someone here suggested it, to check the neutral block under the seat where the converter is. Indeed, there were a few loose screws (not including the one with the screwdriver). 

Also, look under the next seat and find the 110V plug to the Alde. Sometimes it creeps out. That could be causing a surge if it's not plugged in all the way.

You can always check the obvious things under that seat that could be loose. 

Are you using slow blow 3.15A fuses? The are not supposed to be fast blow.

That's all the ideas I have!

Best of luck :lucky:
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited September 2017
    "Are you using slow blow 3.15A fuses? The are not supposed to be fast blow."

Am I reading this right Ratkity?  They are"not" supposed to be fast blow?  Others said to use fast blow, which I did, resulting last night huddled under the blankets, as it was late when we turned on the Alde and no heat...and we didn't want to bother...  brrrrr...... I've had both fast and slo fail on me..
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Btw, we always follow protocol and have everything off when plugging in and also unplugging...

i did check my fuses and was using slow blo.  I can certainly live with it if everyone has blown fuses on the Alde from time to time.  When I first bought our T@b,  it always blew (left side one).  I took it back to the dealer and he fiddled with the wires and we have had some success with heating...
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    We emailed the company about a water pump issue and I thought, hey, why not go for a two for....  I asked about the fuse issue and Marvin wrote back and said I could run my current ground on the Alde all the way up to the negative on the battery.  This might help.  Now, how to do that...  

Problems problems...  and to top it off, I was informed that our network health plan was hacked and someone might have stolen my identity.  Now I don’t even know who I am!! 
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    Just ordered a new one.  On Amazon, they are about 69 bucks.  I paid 46.80.  They are sending along a return envelope and want us to send our old one back.  Apparently they are getting a number of these...  Now, once I get the new one, I’ll have to decide whether to self install or not...
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    edited September 2017
    @TerryV6, If your identity was stolen, I doubt self-installing will work...  :o
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    I’ll probably have to self install in both areas... grin...

Not sure how my insurance people are going to help me in the hack situation... I think I’ve had to get a new credit card 2-3 times in the past year...  sigh

With the pump,  I’d rather not do it myself.  I’ll make some calls first...
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI