Options

Alde Heater

13»

Comments

• Options
    KARKAR Member Posts: 84
    We have a 2015 T@B with an Alde heater and analog control panel 3010 214. We 'll be driving in spring with cold temps and are wondering if the propane will need to be on while we drive to keep the T@B warm so that our water lines don't freeze while driving.
    We keep reading not to drive with propane on but I don't think the Alde runs on battery. So we're trying to see what our options are.
    Please let us know your thoughts.
    Thanks, K
    2015 Tab S with Alde 
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    The water lines you need to worry most about are those under the trailer. (This also applies to the FW tank.) Unfortunately, the Alde will not prevent these from freezing. If you are going to be in consistently sub-freezing temps--driving or otherwise--your only safe bet is to winterize.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Hi KAR,

Aside from the safety issue (and some state laws that make it illegal to drive in their state with propane tanks open and in use) using the ALDE to keep the inside of the T@B warm doesn't address the areas that will still be exposed to the freezing temps.  I think the 2015 T@B (this was my first T@B (SMAX)) has most of water lines running underneath and not in the temp controlled inside anyway.  If this is the case on yours using the heat inside will do nothing for you.  You also have another outside freeze venerable area, the dump valves.  

Its really super easy to just bring along a couple of jugs of antifreeze and just rewinterize before you leave the warm temps and dewinterize when you arrive and just repeat this as needed.  Let some of the AF out of the dump tank valves (I had separate gray and black plumbing on my 2015) so you get AF on both sides of the drain pipes.  All you have to do is put some AF in the fresh water tank and turn the pump on and cycle it through the lines.  It takes about 15-20 minutes and dewinterizing takes maybe 10 minutes. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    On a tangential note...  How did you end up with a Cool Cat in a 2015?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Where are you seeing a Cool Cat mentioned?
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,432
    Or just drain the water tank and water lines, and blow,them out for an extra measure, then you can just refill once the temps get warmer.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Where are you seeing a Cool Cat mentioned?
    Signature line.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Thanks!
    Very helpful!
    Not sure how the cool cat got in the signature line! Didn't even know it was there! Too funny! Good eye is right!
    Thanks, K
    2015 Tab S with Alde 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,529
    @Kar - the Alde uses 12V power when on battery, AC or propane.  The electric heating elements rely on 120V when on shorepower.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    HAHA! I have no idea what a cool cat is or why it's in my signature line!
    Thanks for all the great info!
    Happy Travels!
    K

(“CoolCat” removed per Moderator.)
    2015 Tab S with Alde 
  • Options
    @KAR, does your TaB have an Air Conditioner?  If so, it could be a Cool Cat, which is one of the ACs used in TaBs.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,529
    @Denny16 - the 2015 models have the elevated window A/C unit.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    OK, thanks, I thought some of the early original TaBs (pre 320) had a CoolCar AC mounted in the floor, not sure which years?  Thanks Sharon
    Cheers 
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    BTDT. 
    You'd think the Alde would keep the Tab warm, but no, the Tab's too leaky at 55-65mph.
    I tried it. Ended up with a nice stalactite hanging from our kitchen faucet.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Yes, even without any leaks, our TaB400 is very air tight, except around the door latch, cold air going over and under the TaB is going to super cool it down, especially an older TaB with minimal insulation.  
    Bottom line is, driving with the Alde and Propane on is just an accident waiting to happen.  I have seen several campers burned to the frame, or with major damage, along side the road as a result of a propane fire.
     Cheers 
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    @KAR  we've used our T@b multiple times in sub freezing temps, mostly skiing.  We sometimes arrive a bit late to the next ski hill, but have a few hours we'd like to be warm before bed.  My routine is to back the trailer close to where I plan to park it, then go to the T@b start the Alde on propane,  turn the fridge on propane.  Then I park, level, maybe unhook if necessary.  Next thing is put a kettle on the stove for some Baileys and coffee.  

Honestly as small as the T@b is,  it's pretty comfortable by the time I get inside and get my jacket off, especially if the better half is in there warming it up with body heat.  

And like others have pointed out, you really can't drive in sub freezing weather with water in just about any camper, even "4 season" campers.  
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra