Options

Chipmunk invasion mitigation

ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
No chippie, you may not live in my battery box. Chewing steel wool is not something your dentist would approve.
(As I've seen, the Irish Spring soap bars did nothing to repel them - he's probably sneaking into the back of the trailer right now, while I take this nice picture...)

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
2014 S Maxx
2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,450
    You should just let him have the battery box, in the hopes he might stay out of the cabin!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    Use a live trap and teach it to swim.

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    Had my oil changed Winslow, az. The mech showed me a rat nest in my Jeep's air filter box. I guess he/they went out at night and rode around with me during the day. I wondered where they ended up.
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    source3source3 Member Posts: 142
    Try moth balls. Highly toxic so do not let the balls get exposed to the elements. Place in battery box. 
    Andrew P. 
    Durango, CO

• Options
    Actually the stainless steel scrub pads are working so far. Will see if I find any tiny chipped teeth lying around...
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    I agree with Chan's approach. They even make a no-rust copper version for this very purpose. Based on another Chan tip, I stuff some into the open ends of the trim to keep visitors out of there in the winter.

In my yard, trying to battle mother nature with traps and poison is a losing proposition, as well as a nuisance. The best you can do is try to keep them out of the places you really don't want them (and check your air filters every so often)!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Yep, air filters...

A stink developed in the cab of our Tacoma, starting as mouse-pee-smell, and after a few months became dead-mouse-smell - awful! It was blowing out of the air vents into the cab.

I got lucky and found it in the first place I looked, the cabin-air-filter - easily accessible under the dash. That is, I found what remained of it, and it's nest. Thank goodness for that. Disassembly of the dash was not something I wanted to do.

There was no way for the mouse to have got to that spot in the ducting, other than from inside the cab, so I figure he jumped in when we were setting up camp, when we'd innocently left the door open.

Live and learn.
    ScottG said:
    I agree with Chan's approach. They even make a no-rust copper version for this very purpose. Based on another Chan tip, I stuff some into the open ends of the trim to keep visitors out of there in the winter.

In my yard, trying to battle mother nature with traps and poison is a losing proposition, as well as a nuisance. The best you can do is try to keep them out of the places you really don't want them (and check your air filters every so often)!

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Driving home this weekend we kept hearing a noise that sounded like scraping or gnawing inside our dash. I was terrified that a rodent had gotten inside at the campground and was chewing up my wiring. Turned out to be the campground hangtag that was still on our rear view mirror. It made a surprisingly loud scraping noise every bump (and it was one of those concrete roads that have a gap every few feet so the bumps were periodic.) Whew.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    We suffer a hangtag infestation almost every year. They typically nest in the glovebox, and sometimes under the seats. I clean 'em out, but they always return the following season.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    TommyTommy Member Posts: 175
    lol @ScottG  Our vehicles tend to get infested by North American Fast-food Napkins. When you need one they are never around but sooner or later piles of them are in the doors, the console, the cup holders, the glove box... it's horrible. At least they are quiet.
  • Options
    How timely...

Merging onto the interstate this weekend, my not quite two-year-old truck said "I'm done." The RPMs dropped, the pedal had no response, and it eventually died and left me on the side of the road. Fortunately, I was not out in the willy-wacks towing the T@B.

Turns out a mouse had moved into my air cleaner and done some remodeling. The resulting shreds found their way to the mass airflow sensor, which got blocked and promptly shut down the engine. (And no, of course I wasn't following my own advice to check the air filters every so often!)

I try to live in harmony with the little buggers, but they just don't always keep up their end of the contract. They must be PO'd at me since I stopped letting them bunk in my attic...
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Oh man, so much for loving nature!

Hope it wasn't too costly for you.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    ScottG, Sorry to hear about your truck! Wow, I've seen many critters do similar damage. Porcupines by the way, LOVE to chew on rubber stuff [hoses, and wire insulation are their favorites!] Maybe time to either open the bunkhouse back up, or get a cat, or two!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Not too bad--nothing was actually damaged (except the air filter) so it was just a clean up. Probably could have done it myself, but I'd already had the truck towed to the dealer in the event it would be warranty work.

I've fished rodent handiwork (and rodents) out of various places in various cars, but have never suffered serious damage or inconvenience until now.

Next project? Figure out how to attach some 1/4" hardware cloth over the cold air intake. Not sure plugging it up with steel mesh would do the trick in this case!  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ScottG, Glad to hear that it was only a temporary set back, and nothing permanent! I deal with squirrels and raccoons! The raccoons [went from 3 to 5 now] have taken up residency in my very large fir tree, and are out & about destroying not only MY garden, but the neighbors as well. My dog keeps them out for the most part in the back yard, but the critters have free roam in the front at night. Now I know why they have the masks! :o
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    And let's not leave out the skunks, porcupines, and woodchucks. Some day I expect to find my entire backyard has suddenly sunk about three feet! (Hopefully not under the T@B...)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,512
    We had chipmunks store bird seed in our car air cleaner and another time chewed wires.  These were city chipmunks.  Very costly as I recall.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    SAM & ScottG, It's a jungle out there, we're just the visitors! ;)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,512
    How true.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ericnliz said:
    Yup. That's why I mostly just live and let live, and try to keep 'em out of the places where they can really wreak havoc!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    ScottG said:
    ericnliz said:
    Yup. That's why I mostly just live and let live, and try to keep 'em out of the places where they can really wreak havoc!
    Of all the things I've been called, a chipmunk hasn't been one of them, although a Rat can cause as much havoc and chaos as a cute little chipmunk. LOL :lol:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Ratkity, Are you trying to tell us YOU'RE destructive? :o
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    ericnliz said:
    Ratkity, Are you trying to tell us YOU'RE destructive? :o
    Not in an intentional, evil way. I just sometimes say "oops" and a few more choice words a little more than others when handling tools.

But.... long, long ago...there was this time (no, not at band camp) I was so mad at a friend, I took the coil wire off his distributor cap so he couldn't start his car for a bit (I eventually put it back on, gave an evil teenage grin and walked away). He apologized for whatever it was we were arguing about - something trivial, I'm sure. For some reason, it always surprised the guys when a girl could do more stuff on a car/truck than they could.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    Yeah, just don't do what I did…. now I'm not saying there was alcohol involved, and I'm not saying there wasn't… but I snagged the coil wire off a pal's VW beetle as a joke while in high school. Yes, at a party.

Some fun-- forgot the engine was running at that moment! Landed on my back about 6 feet away, a casualty of (remember, this was an old car) around 14,000 volts….

Live & learn!
  • Options
    LOLOL @irvingj - Ouuuuuuuch! Bet it was shocking to experience to have such a jolt just to hit the ground 6 ft away. Next time something energizes you to spark a prank on a friend, remember to turn off the electrical source (only 5 puns - I'm losing my touch).
  • Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    Well, it wasn't so bad, my forearms only ached for a few days…

(These days, I think spark ignitions are running in excess of 30K volts. I like diesels.)
  • Options
    irvingj, Just be glad it wasn't an HEI system! You would have gone a LOT further than 6'! Now, 'ya probably wonder HOW I know that....... :s
    Spokane, Wa.