Options

Love the Alde!

Camping this weekend, mid 40s last night but we were toasty warm. Not only that but the clothes we'd put on the back shelf were nice and warm. When we tent camped getting dressed in the morning was a shocking experience. The 3 way fridge is my favorite T@B feature but the Alde is a close second!
John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Couldn't agree more. I'd put it above the fridge though. The Alde was one of the deciding factors in choosing a T@B. 
  • Options
    JustjudyJustjudy Member Posts: 75
    Amen!
    Larry and Judy. 2015 T@B S M@xx. Silver with black trim. Bell@. Towed by a 2005 Toyota Tacoma.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Bathroom first, then the Alde ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    As a backpacker, I can pee anywhere, but I've never handled cold damp clothes in the morning!
  • Options
    Update: it was 37 degrees / feels like 33 last night and the Alde worked perfectly. We had to turn it down at one point because we were too warm. 

What an awesome appliance. 
  • Options
    Photomom - The only time it hasn't kept up for me is when there's an extremely cold side wind - blows in the fridge vent and inside around the fridge - blows in around the air conditioner. Definetly need vent covers in those situations. Couldn't keep it above 52 till I covered those.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Couldn't agree more and with the digital thermostat it is like being at home so far as ease of use, spot on climate control and comfort.  

I love the Norcold 3-way frig too and have used it on propane and 110 volts in campground areas.  One thing I did notice as I did try it on the last trip was that the Norcold does go out while traveling down the highway on propane.  And yes, to the naysayers, I understand your safety concerns regarding propane use (via the last discussion and comments) in travel trailers and do agree (e.g., the latest recall, etc.) but wanted to see what it would do along the trail and between camping areas.  I attribute the above to the fact that the unit isn't level during travel and could hear it trying to re-light itself when we stopped and I checked it.  I discontinued this experiment, but did run it on battery when I knew I wouldn't be traveling too far, then switched over to shore power or propane when the trailer was sitting idle and level.  

We also used the shower in all camping venues and the stool as it eliminates the need to pack clothing and toiletry items up and lug them to and from a camp shower facility.  What's funny about this is that we did meet other T@B owners along the trip with the S-model who had not yet used their showers (more or less because of the fear of the small shower area) and who were amazed and intrigued that we use ours exclusively and continuously.  For those of you reading this and who have not yet used the shower in the trailer you are missing out on a convenient amenity in the S-model T@B units.  Of course you have to conserve water, understand that the Alde hot water tank is 2.5 gallons, but that it does replenish the water and reheats it.  I squeegee the shower area down, then wipe it dry by hand completely (even open up the door where the pump is at and wipe all areas dry) to keep the area clean and ready for potty use, etc.  

The Lagun outside table mounting plate I installed on the side of the trailer is also invaluable as we are able to set up the Paha Que visor, secure the table outside beneath it and leave our bed set up full time and still use the table for morning coffee, use it for a place to set iPhone to charge (via my dual USB receptacles/electric install at the outside electric receptacle), have dinner/lunch or to enjoy a glass of wine outside in fresh air.  We had a great time and were able to enjoy the table at every camp site and we love the versatility it avails to us!  

1.jpg 170.9K
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    We haven't showered while camping but did shower in the driveway to prove it was theoretically possible. 

I dont think we'd be able to manage even Navy showers unless we were camping with a water hookup. We filled our fresh water tank on the way to our campsite Friday and after doing dishes 4 times and flushing the toilet 6 or 7 times the pump was sucking air. 
  • Options
    lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    I am a big guy and I have showered while camping.  I don't have much hair left on my head so I can take a very quick shower.  My wife on the other hand has long hair and that takes a lot more time to tend to .  I would guess that if we were dry camping and each took one shower we could last a 3 day weekend on the 11 gallon tank and the additional 5 gallons of water we carry in the TV.  Not being a fool I will use campground showers if they are available and have hot water.  
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

• Options
    Photomom - Can go a lot longer on the water with better technique :-) ... Non-stuck pots/pans, wipe out with paper towels first then use a small amount of water to finish or even use a natural spray cleaner. Paper plates/cups ... Made a big difference in my water usage. Can't remember the last time I actually filled the sink for dishes.

Mike - Been traveling on propane for a month or so with one blowout - Had two blowouts while camped in that same period. Haven't deployed my solar on an overnight in a month and can get a couple days before deploying for longer stays. So nice to pull in with a fully charged battery you won't find me going back to battery travel any time soon.

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    PXLated said:
    Photomom - Can go a lot longer on the water with better technique :-) ... Non-stuck pots/pans, wipe out with paper towels first then use a small amount of water to finish or even use a natural spray cleaner. Paper plates/cups ... Made a big difference in my water usage. Can't remember the last time I actually filled the sink for dishes.
    I'm guessing Photomom is using her sink and toilet similarly as she does at home.  I agree with your suggestions of wiping things clean as that does make a difference and once users practice and improve upon their conservation practices things do last longer and you find that you can actually do more with less and actually are just as clean as with non-conservative means of accomplishing these tasks.  I'll have to admit that I've found myself laughing out loud at the new T@B owners complaining of running out of hot water when taking showers since they obviously were unaware that the Alde hot water tank only has a 2.5 gallon max capacity.   =)

PXLated said:
    Mike - Been traveling on propane for a month or so with one blowout - Had two blowouts while camped in that same period. Haven't deployed my solar on an overnight in a month and can get a couple days before deploying for longer stays. So nice to pull in with a fully charged battery you won't find me going back to battery travel any time soon.

I think my issue is more a result of the trailer not riding or traveling at a perfectly level position while on the road.  I've thought a lot about this and my trailer hitch has a 7" drop and I actually need a 7.5" drop to come closer to level with the trailer behind my truck.  It's either that or it was the wind up in the upper peninsula on the last trip out?  I will check it out again as I don't want to risk draining the battery just for the sake of keeping things cold.  Depending on what we are keeping cold I've also transferred things like meat and other perishable items into the ARB that I do carry on trips so that things were protected.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Well, I'm used to heating water on a camp stove to wash dishes with and wiping them really well before washing, so I didn't really think I was using that much water. One sink mostly full, maybe 1.5 gallons each wash. So 5 washes would be 8 gallons max.

Does anyone know how much water a flush typically uses?
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Honestly, @Photomom, it depends on how long you hold the handle down with the water flowing.

I have an empty gallon vinegar bottle that I want to experiment putting gray water in and using that to flush the toilet. It would relieve some gray water tank space and save fresh water.  I have a bayonet with a hose fitting On the gray tank and a 5' black hose to fill the gallon jug. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    Photomom said:
    We haven't showered while camping but did shower in the driveway to prove it was theoretically possible. 

I dont think we'd be able to manage even Navy showers unless we were camping with a water hookup. We filled our fresh water tank on the way to our campsite Friday and after doing dishes 4 times and flushing the toilet 6 or 7 times the pump was sucking air. 

Photomom said:

Are your sure you are getting your tank filled completely? I now know for a fact, that the first time I filled mine with a hose, until it spit water back at me from the inlet, it was NOT full (figured this out later). I too only got one 4 minute shower and a couple dishwashing rinses in. I now lower the tongue and then raise it a couple times so that water gets over the built in hump in the tank. If you aren't sure you are getting full, try filling with known gallon jugs as a test.  
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    The last time I went camping, the water from my 4-gallon jug filled the tank about a gallon, then "spit" back at me and overflowed.  I stopped the flow, and just let it do the sloshing thing in the tank. When it was quiet (just about 30 seconds or less), then I started the flow again and the water flowed calmly into the inlet. It just has to burp sometimes ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I usually use my 2.5 gal jug with the nozzle that fits tightly into the replaced gravity fill port. I have the same port as Jenn and the spout of the little jug fits perfect. I can hear the air coming out of the tank overflow drain tube by my left foot. I can slowly fill the gravity water port with a hose and extender attachment that fits down into the gravity fill, but for the last part, I use the jug. It seems to push any alr lock out of the tank. I just wait until my foot gets wet and then I know my tank is full :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Photomom said:

Photomom said:

Are your sure you are getting your tank filled completely? I now know for a fact, that the first time I filled mine with a hose, until it spit water back at me from the inlet, it was NOT full (figured this out later). I too only got one 4 minute shower and a couple dishwashing rinses in. I now lower the tongue and then raise it a couple times so that water gets over the built in hump in the tank. If you aren't sure you are getting full, try filling with known gallon jugs as a test.  
    I thought so. We filled until the water started coming back out and the Seelevel read 95%. There were a couple of other trailers in line behind us so we didn't putz around much.

This was the last trip of the season and we've got to get to winterizing, so we'll have to experiment next spring. 
  • Options
    Photomom - 1.5 gallons per wash? Wow, I'm talking cups per was :-)

• Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    @Photomom.  I don't have the seelevel, so filling for me, is a "blind" endeavor. In your shoes, next time out, I would probably do a gallon-for-gallon ingress excercise to make sure the seelevel is recording the accurate amount you are putting in, and then go from there. Those of us without the seelevel pretty much have to do this in order to have any idea of exactly how much water we are placing into the onboard tank, or, we fill from a hose and take our chances...
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    @Photomom.  I don't have the seelevel, so filling for me, is a "blind" endeavor. In your shoes, next time out, I would probably do a gallon-for-gallon ingress excercise to make sure the seelevel is recording the accurate amount you are putting in, and then go from there. Those of us without the seelevel pretty much have to do this in order to have any idea of exactly how much water we are placing into the onboard tank, or, we fill from a hose and take our chances...
    I don't have the Seelevel thingie either - Just the redneck shoe indicator! Highly accurate too.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Ratkity, Also commonly known as the puddle method!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    Assuming you have the white opaque holding tank, a flashlight, and the ability to bend over, you can check your tank level visually. From behind the passenger-side wheel, if you look up and toward the front, there's a spot where the side of the tank is visible. If you shine a light on that spot, you can see the water level in the tank.

Your knees might get a little dirty, but your shoes will stay dry!  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ericnliz said:
    Ratkity, Also commonly known as the puddle method!
    Careful, I think some dog owners know the puddle method as something else! :lol:
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Or, I think I should have stood further away! :s
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf