Options

Where to store?

EmyEmy Member Posts: 24
Got kicked out of my garage this winter because of a car. So, I have the option to store my rig next to my house or in my wooded yard. Considering the snow, leaves, rodents, how close is too close, etc.  No cover this season, in northern Ohio. What would you do?
emily . northern ohio . 2015 320s . jeep wrangler

Where to store? 27 votes

Next to House
59%
CyclonicT@Balongjkjennwizard1880ChanWIrishCamper74dartabasco_jimSmullis7jgram2cmacminischRollingBnBAldebaranJillTulsaTimeLauraRey 16 votes
Wooded yard
0%
Other
40%
VernajdargisAllieLibrarydragonPhotomomTerryV6Lil_Lucyericnlizj_ntabownersrfuss928dsatwork 11 votes

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Other
    Save up for the Paha Que cover from the Teardrop Shop which will protect from the the winter snows and ice, and scrapes from the branches that tend to be blown around the yard. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Other
    Kick the car back out & buy a car cover! =)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    AldebaranJillAldebaranJill Member Posts: 452
    Next to House
    Install outlet on house, run power to T@B, and put oil heater inside, on continuously to keep warm.
    2013 MAXX T@B towed by a 2015 Volvo S60 5 CYL AWD Sedan
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    Other
    AldebaranJill, Rather than an oil heater, wouldn't it be a little more efficient to run the Alde heat system since you already have a thermostat installed in the trailer? ;)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Next to House
    We have stored outdoors, keeping an eye on snow depth, and shoveling it off now and then.

I've noticed that when we park under the maples, it tends to get a good coating of detritus from the tree.

I'd rather keep it out of the barn, so I can use the barn for other things  (DW doesn't agree however)...

I've been told that heated spaces tend to attract mice. Maybe don't heat it unless you want to use it.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Next to House
    We keep our Tabitat next to our house, behind the front line of the house as dictated by city rules, by necessity-don't want to pay $100+/per month for storage. I also like this because I'm always running to check our trailer against questions raised on the forum and to dream of mods!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Next to House
    T@Bpole lives next to the house, plugged in and heated as needed, year round.  Never have a problem.  Get a cat for the mice, we have several running around the neighborhood, no mice, no squirrels, few birds, seems to work well :grin:

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Other
    A friend has a barn in his back yard and rented a corner of it to me at a very good rate. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    Next to House
    In the driveway, plugged in with full 30a service for maintaining the batteries, and winterized with compressed air.  No cover as we have no trees nearby.  Gets an occasional exterior wash along with the cars. :)
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    Lil_LucyLil_Lucy Member Posts: 82
    Other
    Lil_Lucy winterized and tucked away in the back garage. Let those nasty Michigan winters come.

2016 T@b 320 Max-S (Silver/Red Trim) / TV: 2019 Ford Flex
    "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 932
    Other
    My solution was a "portable garage".  Less than $200 at Harbor Feight.  Lots of snow here in western NY.

• Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    rfuss928 said:
    My solution was a "portable garage".  Less than $200 at Harbor Feight.  Lots of snow here in western NY.

Impressive solution for <$200.
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    Lil_Lucy said:
    Lil_Lucy winterized and tucked away in the back garage. Let those nasty Michigan winters come.
    Does this mean you took the wheels off to reduce height and rolled it back on some type of dolly?

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Other

Does this mean you took the wheels off to reduce height and rolled it back on some type of dolly?

Yes. I removed the 14" tires and wheels and replaced them with 12" rims (no tires) then just pushed it into the garage. It's a real close fit. The rubber door seal on the garage door header just skims over the A/C fan vent cover but I didn't have to remove anything on the top. I would suggest to anyone to MEASURE, MEASURE, MEASURE before you attempt this in your garage. Height clearances could vary and there is no room for error. There was no dolly involved.

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Next to House
    Looks like a good solution! Will have to look into it.
    rfuss928 said:

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Other
    rfuss928, I really like your solution. Do you recall the size you got, and manufacturer? Does it open on both ends? How long have you used it? Do you have any issues with the weight of the snow, as it appears from your photos, you get about the same as we do as far as snowfall. Thanks, Eric
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Lil_Lucy said:
    Yes. I removed the 14" tires and wheels and replaced them with 12" rims (no tires) then just pushed it into the garage. It's a real close fit.

How much bottom to floor clearance does that leave you? Are 12" rims the smallest practical solution?
    I wonder if there is something made expressly for this purpose that has hard rubber rollers. 
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Lil_Lucy, you are teasing me.  I ended up close enough to house where the power cord reaches, far enough where others in the house cannot find me. Starting a money jar for the cover. 

• Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    Gravel pad next to house,  with a cheaper Classic Accessories R-pod over over it.   I highly recommend a fan cover so you can keep the trailer vented during the winter.  I never close the top vent all the way.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    My 2015 T@B Max S will be safely tucked away in a few days inside big red,  resting until the 2017 New Year and hopefully on to Arizona for the winter months.  

1.jpg 187K
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Other
    Emy, Want some more leaves? ;)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    Mike, that is a great looking barn! I'll be storing mine (when it arrives) in the back yard under an R-pod cover also.  Dave

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
    Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    Did PXL photograph Big Red?  Beautiful.
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 932
    edited November 2016
    Other
    ericnliz said:
    rfuss928, I really like your solution. Do you recall the size you got, and manufacturer? Does it open on both ends? How long have you used it? Do you have any issues with the weight of the snow, as it appears from your photos, you get about the same as we do as far as snowfall. Thanks, Eric

My "portable garage"  is a Shelter Logic 10x17 sold by Harbor Freight. It lists for about $200 but is often on sale for ~$170. 
    The frame is bolted to the concrete blocks for stability and the extra height needed for overhead clearance.  I added some wooden 1x3 diagonal braces to keep the frame square and stable with wind and snow load (about 100" a season around here).

The cover started showing signs of failure at the high stress points at the frame corners after the forth winter.  It is possible if I had adjusted the tension on the cover it may have lasted longer.  It turns out a new cover is more costly than a new complete shelter at HF.

Last fall, I was concerned the small tares at the corners would lead to a major failure with the next big snow.  The T@B had certainly earned it's place as a keeper in our life by then so..... I built a shelter on the side of our shed. 

BTW - The portable garage sold "as is - you remove" on CraigsList for $80.  It was gone in less than 24 hours after listing!!  No regrets.  It was a great solution for several years.

• Options
    Other
    rfuss928, Thanks for the reply. I was wondering about the wind as well, and you answered all my questions. Nice T@B hut you built!
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Other
    @rfuss928, yes, a great shelter for the T@B. Since I have decided not to sell my house, I have been thinking about a summer shelter for her. Thanks for the idea to put the Harbor Freight shelter on concrete blocks to get it high enough. Great idea. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Other
    How much bottom to floor clearance does that leave you? Are 12" rims the smallest practical solution?
    I wonder if there is something made expressly for this purpose that has hard rubber rollers. 
    I'm not at home right now so I can't go out and get you an actual measurement. I'm just guessing but with 12" rims on it right now I would guess-timate the axle is right around 6" off the floor. Nothing was dragging (not even the door step bracket) when I pushed it in.

As for smaller rims, I think going smaller than 12" ones could cause some problems. You're getting into the garden tractor type now and I would have some concerns about weight distribution and such.

There may be other solutions, but I've never researched them. This is the second year I've used this method to bed Lil-Lucy down for the winter.

I will add that it gets a little tricky as far as the jacking sequence goes. Using my normal floor jack that I've had for years, when I set her back down on the 12" rims there isn't enough clearance to get the jack out. I took care of this problem by buying another floor jack with the lowest possible clearance. I believe it's somewhere around 3 1/2 inches. Then placing this jack towards the back of the frame, I'm able to get the bigger floor jack out.
  • Options
    AldebaranJillAldebaranJill Member Posts: 452
    Next to House
    ericnliz said:
    AldebaranJill, Rather than an oil heater, wouldn't it be a little more efficient to run the Alde heat system since you already have a thermostat installed in the trailer? ;)
    I do not have the Alde. I don't want to use up my camping propane for heating.
    2013 MAXX T@B towed by a 2015 Volvo S60 5 CYL AWD Sedan
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    Other
    Gotcha! :)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Lil_Lucy said:
    Yes. I removed the 14" tires and wheels and replaced them with 12" rims (no tires) then just pushed it into the garage. It's a real close fit. The rubber door seal on the garage door header just skims over the A/C fan vent cover but I didn't have to remove anything on the top. I would suggest to anyone to MEASURE, MEASURE, MEASURE before you attempt this in your garage. Height clearances could vary and there is no room for error. There was no dolly involved.
    I have 90" to work with and that looks too close without clipping the standard fan.
    I'll try letting some air out of the tires first. :) Otherwise your 12" rim solution looks like the way to go.

Regarding a dolly -- If clearance isn't an issue but someone needs to maneuver a T@B in a tight garage space, consider these:
    http://theautodolly.com/the-auto-dolly-line/the-auto-dolly/