Options

Empty Glycol tank

This is my first time posting on this Forum. I want to express how amazed I am by the camaraderie and knowledge of its members.
I need your advice. I just came back from a trip on my CS-S and found that when parking the trailer there was a green liquid coming out of a drain on the driver side behind the axle. I'm assuming what i saw is glycol from the heating system. I used the heater this weekend and i forgot to turn it off before leaving our campsite. Will that be the reason why i may have lost all the glycol?...in addition, The tank in the shower is empty. I would appreciate any guidance. Have a great Thanks Giving!

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Sounds like the Glycol. Leaving the Alde on while traveling wouldn't do anything or cauze a problem. Sounds like the valve to drain the Alde Glycol is open (I'm surmizing as I've never checked for that valve but presume there is one as they recommend replacing every 2-5 years). Hopefully someone will check in and verify there is and where it is for you to check.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    On ours, there is no drain valve, just a plug (i think it looks like it's brass) in the drain hose that sticks through the floor near the Alde.

Maybe that's leaking?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    EddyEddy Member Posts: 12
    Thaks ChanW. I believe that is just a flexible rubber hose that is seated below the Alde unit. I don't know if because I forgot to turned it off while moving the vehicle for two hours cause the lost of the glycol?
  • Options
    @ PXLated. Thanks, makes sense. I will check below the bench area if there is any valve that might explain the issue.
  • Options
    As ChanW mentioned - It might just be a plug in the drain hose. Kinda remember seeing that way back when checking something else out underneith.
  • Options
    I might call the factory to check if I lost the plug but I don't see any sign of thread or glue to the rubber hose
  • Options
    It was more like a rubber stopper.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Just to prevent it from happening again, I'd invest in a small radiator clamp to stop the stopper from escaping :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,473
    @Eddy, just to clarify, the drip in your photo looks like it is coming out of the hole into which that clear overflow line from the expansion tank empties. The drain line with the brass plug that others have mentioned is in the same general vicinity, but is a different, smaller diameter hose. It's not attached to any valve inside the T@B, but rather pokes directly out from one of the large rubber hoses that brings heat to the cabin radiators. If that plug is gone, so is your glycol.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    edited October 2022
    I posted this a while back. This is what the drain for the Alde glycol fluid looks like. There is a rubber tube coming out the bottom and what looks like a metal plug in the tube. If the plug has been removed or is leaking your Alde fluid may have leaked out.    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/3877/anyone-know-what-this-thing-under-the-trailer-is
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    Compare Photomom's thread photo versus Eddy's above.
    The end of Eddy's glycol drain tube has been torn off. The tube should be longer with a brass plug in the end.
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    The end of Eddy's glycol drain tube has been torn off. The tube should be longer with a brass plug in the end.
    Eagle eyes there, Tabber! Good job.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Sure looks that way, but it's hard to tell for certain which tube is which. The configurations are clearly different in the two photos.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Thanks everybody for your input. The glycol is coming through the bigger hose, which is about 1-1 1/2" diameter. Unfortunately I can't see the trailer now since I'm on a business travel until Wednesday. As soon as I can first thing to do is to check if  there is any evidence of detached plug or torn off hose. My first impression was that is the original length of the hose.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    If you look at the floor inside you should be able to match up the drains there with the tubes under the trailer and figure out which is which.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    What year is your CS-S?
    I see what you mean now by enlarging your photo. There is a green fluid drip line on the larger tube.
    The smaller ones looks a bit ragged, but it is unclear what's what.
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    Photomom said:
    If you look at the floor inside you should be able to match up the drains there with the tubes under the trailer and figure out which is which.
    It is located just below the Alde unit.
  • Options
    What year is your CS-S?
    I see what you mean now by enlarging your photo. There is a green fluid drip line on the larger tube.
    The smaller ones looks a bit ragged, but it is unclear what's what.

Is a 2016 CS-S Max. You are right the large one is dripping a green liquid (Glycol)
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    That still leaves the million dollar question...  Did you locate the tube with the brass plug? Was it intact?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ScottG said:
    That still leaves the million dollar question...  Did you locate the tube with the brass plug? Was it intact.
    @ ScottG: I will check that in a couple of days, once I'm back home. I'm on a business trip now
  • Options
    gbellgbell Member Posts: 88
    I was wondering if any one has a picture of the tube and brass plug mentioned above to drain the glycol ?  What I need to do is drain only about 2" out of the glycol container, as it should be 1/2" above the min, but is more like 2+" over the min, which could be why I need to open the lid when using the alde.  but how do I drain only a small amount?  I was thinking if I could get a new clean baster into the container then i can just draw out the correct amt.  Any ideas, or pictures for the drain plug?  
    If at NuCamp, could someone ask and take pictures for me? thanks
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @gbell, Now you've peaked my curiosity. When you say that you have to open the lid, do you mean the glycol container? And EVERY time, and for hot water as well? What year/model is your T@B, and where is the container located? This is the first I've heard with your issue, and that's why I'm asking. Thanks.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,525
    What is the problem with the Alde?  Our glycol level is between the Max and Min and we have not had a problem.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @SAM, Have to agree. Mine was low, so I just had to add some, and mine is now between Max & Min as well. Still works just fine. Wonder if @gbell has an air pocket in the system somewhere that requires the lid to be open for the Alde to work?
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    There's an overflow tube on the tank. It also acts to prevent a vacuum. The top on mine had a spongey area where air could also enter to prevent a vacuum. Perhaps both are clogged. Wash the cap in soapy water? 

I doubt you need to drain anything. I ran mine more than 1/2 above min. Anything above the 1/2" above just makes it prone to more gurgling with a faster pump speed (my experience only).
  • Options
    before our last trip out in May we had the Alde working pretty well with minimum rattle with a longer exhaust hose, for the freight train noise, since then we have put in the new regulator, so it is working very quietly, at least at home for a few minutes i had it running.  What didn't work  (and this has happened off an on since we bought it in Aug 2017) was that the Alde would run for a max of 2 min then turn off and would come back on 1/2 to hr later (of course this during the night when it is cold and your trying to sleep :-) It would just get colder and colder in there. This happened more when on propane than electric but it would do so on electric also, just stop running.  No error lights or anything.   

So one night I thought what about a vapor lock.  So I opened the container lid so it was loose but still on top.  Turned Alde back on, and also to Continuous vs therm.  The  Alde ran all night and never turned off again, other than when to temp then to return on as was need according to the room temp.

it really was a strange thing, and we only had the one night out to try it as our trip was into the desert then CA where we were in the 100 by day and 80+ at night and since then it has been in storage.   

But opening the lid did seem to be the answer for it to run and have heat without it shutting off all the time.  I put a flashlight looking down into the glycol contain as it was running and it boils and boils. Before it would hardly get going and stop.  That is where i was wondering if I didn't have the room in the container with it filled more than min by about 2".  

• Options
    I am going to try washing the lid and see if it is stuck or something.  It does have the small pvc tube on top and leads down to the floor to exit outside, it isn't crimped or anything, I wonder if I could blow on the end (exit end) and see if it is plugged or would blow bubbles into the container.  I didn't try that.  I would have thought that that would prevent any vapor lock if it was working. 

It has an automatic bleeder doesn't it? the manual talks of both.
  • Options
  • Options
    If you can reach the end of the overflow tube, you can get a little tire compressor to blow air up through it. Remember to keep the cap off when you do that.
  • Options
    that is great idea thanks. soon as i get it out of storage I'll try that. (keeping it stored and out of all the CO thunderstorms and hail) Next trip is to Yellowstone and then south of there for the solar eclipse.  I noticed that it has been pretty cool up there the last couple of weeks, 30 and 40's at night, we're going to need that Alde.