Options

Side window leaks

Wondering if anyone else has had an issue with their side windows leaking.  Ours is on one side.   The seam of the rubber window gasket was installed dead center at the top of the window,  and water drips down the seam and runs down the inside of the window.   Seems like a bad idea to put the seam at the top.   It let in enough water this weekend to dampen the side cushion overnight.

Has anyone replaced the gasket before?  I'm afraid it will be difficult to line up correctly, and be a mess to work with.  Or is there some type of repair material I could add to that area?  

I've got it temporarily fixed with duct tape, and while that's a source of pride with my climbing gear,  it's not the look I was going for with the T@B.  :)

2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    My brother had that problem on his rPod - A little black ShooGoo (sp?) sealed it up just fine.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    db_cooper, I had an issue with the seal on the drivers side window. [Don't know if it was leaking, as it had not rained since noticing it, but did'nt want to chance it either!] It was hanging down a little when I first noticed it, and then a LOT after camping in 90* plus temps. I looked it over really good, decided it was not seated properly in the "track" around the window, so I took a small plastic scraper, [handle end where it is rounded off] and started at a spot I knew was properly seated, and slowly went around the whole window until I was satisfied with the results, and it was seated. My seam was also at the top, and was curious to me also why at the top? If your seal is properly seated, I would go with PXL's suggestion with the Shoe Goo. Let us know what you come up with for a solution, thanks.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    I got a good look at it finally in the daylight.  There was some crusty sealant in the seam, but looked like it was mostly missing.  I used some clear silicone window sealant I had handy.   I imagine that will do the trick.  I've got it under cover with some heat on to cure the sealant,  so I won't know if it works until I take it out again.   Would like to know if there's a reason that seam is at the top.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Someone told me the seams are at the top because liquids run down so would be more problematic at the bottom. Makes some sense.
  • Options
    mrlynch1953mrlynch1953 Member Posts: 40
    today I’ve discovered a drivers side window leak. I don’t really understand about a seam or moving around the rubber. I thought I’d ask my dealer to seal around all edges, inside and out and that should do the trick I hope. I do ask my dealer to do annual window seal inspections on my tab max 2016 but I guess that doesn’t help. I started doing that when I needed the front window replaced. After that I saw recommended maintenance on said window — which I had not been doing! But I haven’t seen recommended continual resealing of the side windows? 
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    @mrlynch1953, I haven't seen many reports of leaking windows since this original discussion from four years ago, so I don't think it is a common problem (not that that helps you at all...). You are correct that there has not been any technical bulletins regarding ongoing inspection or maintenance of side windows. Please follow up and let us know what you figure out.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    It is quite a problem on the drivers side, soaking my sheet and cushions. I have localized the point of entry (I think) to the upper inside window frame between the rubber seal and the pull down blind. Of course that doesn’t help me figure out what to do about it, even if I’m right. Outside seems tight around the entire perimeter. I had to have my front window replaced so I’m hoping I don’t have that expense now! I won’t be back at my Tab dealer until late April. I never trust anyone but a Tab dealer with this. 
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    mrlynch, on my 2016 there was a small piece of 1/4 foam tape with sticky tape on one side only about 2 inches long on the front upper part of the window to stop water from entering from the wind driving water in while going forward down the road. With the window closed it was pinched between the window and the frame, it was on both side windows forward side only. This may not have anything to do with your problem as I would need to see a photo of your window to know just where it is coming in at. Wish you good luck fixing it Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    edited January 2020
  • Options
    edited January 2020
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    mrlymch Yes those front foam pieces are what I was referring to. Your leak seems to be quite unusual, please let us know what it is when you find out. Good luck. 
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    susaninnhsusaninnh Member Posts: 11
    We've had leaking in our driver's side portal window.  The seam was at the bottom and seemed to help the water leak down the wall.  Fortunately we found it before it had gotten too bad. We've dried out the wall and floor and strengthened the wall with sealant. Now we have to put the window back. Wondering what the grey epoxy was they used on the outside. Non-drying, sticky as heck and impervious to any solvents.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Probably not epoxy, but the resume from an RV Sealant material, that was used under the gasket?  Normally, at least in most marine applications I have seen, the gasket seam goes at the bottom, water runs out the seam, if sealed correctly.  Having the seam at the top would be more problematic., and prone to leaking behind the gasket.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.