Options

Replacing LP Cover with Diamond Plate Truck Tool Box

Hi Everyone,
Just wondering anybody did this kind of modification? is it possible?
2016 T@B Maxx S, Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Yep, seen pics but can't recall who. Have you tried searching on toolbox or tongue or something?
  • Options
    JltabJltab Member Posts: 89
    Thank PXLated
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    I know it's on here somewhere, as I've considered the same mod as a future project.

I also have a friend who did this mod to a T@G XL, so it's definitely possible. I do suspect the impact on tongue weight would need to be carefully considered.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243

Not sure who these belong to, but I saved two pics for future add to my own T@B.
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
    JltabJltab Member Posts: 89
    How about the T@B warranty if doing this modification?
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Do a search for "tonydjd"  then "considering adding a"
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Jltab said:
    How about the T@B warranty if doing this modification?
    As long as you don't damage anything with the T@B, and as long as you allow ventilation low for propane and high for the battery, there should be no problems with the warranty. The open back on the stock propane/battery cover is intentional to provide adequate ventilation. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 927

Delta Pro 415002 Black 33" Long Aluminum Trailer Tongue Truck Box

• Options
    DennisHemingwayDennisHemingway Member Posts: 37
    This is my 2013 T@B S. Box is from HomeDepot.com We tow with a 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 dr or a 2015 Jeep Cherokee no problems towing or turning.

2015 Jeep Cherokee tow Vehicle. 

Barstow, CA

• Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    @DennisHemingway with your Lund box I didn't see in your original post how it affected your tongue weight? Just curious.... I'm guessing your  Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 door didn't notice any difference with the added tongue weight or was it a wash with the smaller propane tank? 
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    1968Healey1968Healey Member Posts: 64
    @Verna (really everybody with the boondock model).  Do you think the boondock upgrade is worth it?  

I actually would prefer the non-boondock handle. It really comes down to the black rims and the diamond plate tub.  Are these two items worth the $1000 add on or would we be better off upgrading to one of these other diamond plate tubs in the future?
    2020 T@B 400
    2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    Many folks who value the boondock model want it for it’s clearance.  The platform and tub also appeals to those who boondock and carry extra water, generator, etc.  If all you really want are the aesthetics, then you can add a diamond plate tub later.  You may be able to work with your dealer and have them order the TaB without the tub and have the dealer install the tub of your choice.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,650
    I agree with Sharon is Sam.....the advantage is the Boondock rack/platform.  It multiplies the options for storage space on the front of  trailer beyond the tub.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    1968Healey1968Healey Member Posts: 64
    Correct me if I'm wrong, there's no rack/platform option for the Tab 400 so that doesn't really apply?

Is there any axle difference on the Tab 400?  Just the black rims and 235/70R15 tires to get the added ground clearance?
    2020 T@B 400
    2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Correct, @1968Healey, the 400 does not have the front platform. 

I love my 400 Boondock Lite. When I ordered it, they didn’t have the name for the model, or it wasn’t advertised yet. It is worth every penny for the package, in my opinion.

I wanted the increased clearance, the diamond plate tub, the padded handle is a plus to me, and the lighted step was such a hit that they are now including it on more models.

How is it worth it?  Arizona has the monsoons in the summer and the heavy rain creates a lot of erosion. Although I still look in the mirrors and still go slow, I can easily cross these crevices (6”+) without dragging the rear of the 400 (I hit the rear many times in the 320). The 400 is still not made to be a “rock crawler”, but I can get to boondocking sites that I would not have tried with the 320. The diamond plate front tub is much sturdier than the plastic tub—I love the look of the diamond plate against the diamond plate along the lower portion of the front of the. 400. And, with the increased height of the Boondock Lite, the padded handle is very helpful when carrying an armful into the 400. If they are not adding the lighted step to the other 400’s, that is worth a lot of missteps to me. If the step is extended, the little blue LED light is on. It is not a super bright light, just enough for those dark nights in the middle of nowhere. And it’s not bright enough to bother neighbors. 

A very satisified customer here.....if you can’t tell ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    ^^ I also live in AZ and bought a 320 S Boondock Lite for most of the same reasons.  Also, a number of developed campgrounds that I want to visit have very steep approaches  into and out of washes, even when paved.  Chiricahua National Monument comes to mind specifically. 
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • Options
    kaylevine1kaylevine1 Member Posts: 165
    my dealer wanted $1,000 just to add the diamond plate tub

• Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    @kaylevine1 the entire boondock lite package full retail is only $1400 if memory serves......
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    ArwenArwen Member Posts: 68
    @Verna (really everybody with the boondock model).  Do you think the boondock upgrade is worth it?  

I actually would prefer the non-boondock handle. It really comes down to the black rims and the diamond plate tub.  Are these two items worth the $1000 add on or would we be better off upgrading to one of these other diamond plate tubs in the future?

We own a 2018 302S Boondock/Outback (Boondock name with the Australia/kangaroo logo), and am very happy that I insisted on the Boondock upgrade.  My tow vehicle is a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, and I love the look of the spare tire on the LoadWarrior rack, along with the higher clearance . . . they look totally made for each other.  I'm planning a long cross country trip after I retire in a few years, so I'm working on outfitting our T@B for lengthier stays, where we will need more space. 
    With the spare mounted on the back of the T@B, the tongue weight seemed too light to me (even with a full fresh water tank), so I needed to either move the spare or add more weight in front of the axle.  Since I like the spare where it is, I decided to take advantage of the platform as many others here have, by adding a large tool box to one side and a gasoline container and additional fresh water container on the other (this is currently underway).  I also just installed a Valterra Tube under the LoadWarrior rack. This will permit me to get all the external items (water hose, power cord, wheel chucks and leveling blocks) and tools out of the under bed storage area (and/or back of Jeep).
    This will free up some valuable dry storage space and should hopefully balance out the T@B nicely.
    For me, I had a long range plan when I was shopping for a camper, and the T@B 320S Boondock appeared to be exactly what I was hoping for. It was the Boondock model that initially got me interested in the T@B.

Arwen: Northern NH; 2018 T@B 320S Boondock, silver/blue; TV: blue 2018 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk