Options

Smelly Bathroom- yes we're going there

Hey!

So we've been FT for 3.5 months and haven't had any issues with the bathroom until the last few weeks. We changed toilet pods recently but other than that everything is the same. We made a concoction we found online of baking soda, ammonia, water, fabric softener etc and that worked great for a few days and then back to smelly. 

This space is too small for smells ;) Any help would be much appreciated. Sorry if this topic has been brought up-Couldn't find anything on it. 

Valerie + Jessi 

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Could be the shower trap is dry - If so, pour a quart of water down the drain.
  • Options
    KBaggins1KBaggins1 Member Posts: 135
    edited January 2017
    Is the valve on the bottom of your toilet bowl closing completely? The tank is always going to stink , the valve stops the smells from getting in to the trailer.
    2014 T@B M@XS;  2017 Ford Transit Low Roof, Reg. Wheel Base
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Don't worry @KBaggins1 , I gotcha!

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    HappyCamperWivesHappyCamperWives Member Posts: 33
    PXLated said:
    Totally dry! Never used the shower before (too tall) Thank you will def try that. 
  • Options
    KBaggins1 said:
    Is the valve on the bottom of your toilet bowl closing completely? The tank is always going to stink , the valve stops the smells from getting in to the trailer.
    Yeah it closes just fine but I'll take another look. Anyway to fix it if it looks off? Bang it? That tends to be my solution to everything :) 
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    PXLated said:
    Totally dry! Never used the shower before (too tall) Thank you will def try that. 
    Gray water tanks can sometimes smell even worse than black tanks. Checking the shower p trap was a great call.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    RamrodRamrod Member Posts: 164

Sani Sticks, Drain Cleaner and Deodorizer, Unscented .

I did not think this was going to work, but it did work in my home kitchen sink. So I now throw one in the shower and one in the t@b sink
  • Options
    Ramrod said:

Sani Sticks, Drain Cleaner and Deodorizer, Unscented .

I did not think this was going to work, but it did work in my home kitchen sink. So I now throw one in the shower and one in the t@b sink
    Oh, do they actually fit down the little hole in the sink? My bathroom is already smelling better by pouring the water down the shower so I think you're right- it may be the dang grey tank! (the more you know) 
  • Options
    ronin718ronin718 Member Posts: 92
    And this is why we got our T@B without the shower/toilet.  :D

John & Lori in Northern VA
    Former owner of 2015 T@B CS Max "Uteki" aka "H@wk T@B"
    2012 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 Off-Road "Zame"

• Options
    ronin718 said:
    And this is why we got our T@B without the shower/toilet.  :D
    Oh you don't even know. When it's 3am and we are in the 30 degree desert it is the best choice we've ever made! But, if we were just going on week long trips (instead of full-time) the toilet is pretty silly :) 
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    My Mom's house smelled horrid when I was home for the holidays. She was mortified!! Turned out the cleaning person knew exactly what it was... it was the p-trap in the seldom used bathroom with a small shower - Just like PXL said. Make that Fan work!! Turn it on high and crack open a window. If you don't mind dryer sheet smell, toss a couple on the bed (on towels). I never use Febreez or other air fresheners. They are just too strong smelling.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Ratkity said:
    My Mom's house smelled horrid when I was home for the holidays. She was mortified!! 
    So glad we're not the only ones haha! 
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    I saw a T@B on FB that had a small exhaust fan in the bathroom, allegedly installed by Pleasant Valley. Anyone seen one?
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    That dry trap bit me and later my brother - Took me awhile to figure out what it was. One is inclinded to think toilet.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Careful what you mix that ammonia with when making your concoction. Ammonia and Clorox, for example, is a killer, I believe.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Everyone. I would like to confirm- The smelly bathroom has been fixed with a simple quart of water down the shower drain!! It was, indeed not the toilet and I love you all for making our t@b smell free. 
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Everyone. I would like to confirm- The smelly bathroom has been fixed with a simple quart of water down the shower drain!! It was, indeed not the toilet and I love you all for making our t@b smell free. 
    I encountered it for the first time this summer in very high heat and dry weather. The water did it for me, too. Who knew? I am not sure the bathroom fan would help a lot with this. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    ronin718ronin718 Member Posts: 92
    ... I love you all for making our t@b smell free. 

So just what does a free T@B smell like?

John & Lori in Northern VA
    Former owner of 2015 T@B CS Max "Uteki" aka "H@wk T@B"
    2012 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 Off-Road "Zame"

• Options
    I find that the fear of bathroom smells is sort of like the fear of indoor cooking smells. I have never had any odors from indoor cooking. Not once. The fan really does its job. The only time I had bathroom odors were from a dry shower trap, not from the black tank. I know people also have issues with emptying tanks, but honestly, it is not a difficult chore. Yes, it's intimidating the first couple of times, but it is not hard.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    Use the shower!  I'm 5 10 too,  just accept it's a sit down affair.  We use a thin shower curtain draped over the toilet to keep it dry.  No more smelly shower trap or smelly you. :)
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    db_cooper said:
    Use the shower!  I'm 5 10 too,  just accept it's a sit down affair.  We use a thin shower curtain draped over the toilet to keep it dry.  No more smelly shower trap or smelly you. :)
    haha- ok ok, we will have to try it. And possibly laugh the whole time :) 
  • Options
    db_cooper said:
    haha- ok ok, we will have to try it. And possibly laugh the whole time :) 
    We took brief showers in our driveway when we first got our T@B to prove it was theoretically possible. It worked, but my 6'5" DH didn't enjoy it. 
  • Options
    db_cooper said:
    Ditto - I think I might have shrunk a bit, though, since my basketball days (the last time anyone measured my height.)

• Options
    Ok I'm going to say it- t@b owners are the best! 
  • Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    Sorry I didn't see this earlier, but advice was right on. The old New England Cape I grew up in had only ONE bathroom, and we step-kids, 3 boys, weren't allowed to use it at night (don't ask).  =)

When I built my modest house folks thought I was nuts, but I put in THREE -- one in the entry area, one in the master BR, and one upstairs. Never regretted it.

However, now that our kids are gone, I periodically go to the upstairs bath and run some water into the shower/tub, vanity sink, and flush the toilet. A necessary chore, every 6-8 weeks or so. Those P-traps are there for a reason!
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358
    Showering while sitting is not as bad as it sounds.  Just remember to set your Alde to heat the water about 20 minutes before you need it (it is not instant-on).  Also, be very prudent with the hot water - it tends to run out pretty fast at only 2.5 gallons.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    OutbackAZ said:
    Showering while sitting is not as bad as it sounds.  Just remember to set your Alde to heat the water about 20 minutes before you need it (it is not instant-on).  Also, be very prudent with the hot water - it tends to run out pretty fast at only 2.5 gallons.
    Also take navy showers.
  • Options
    Photomom - We didn't call them that in the Army - Can't say what we called them here in public though :-)
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    PXL, It was called steel pot, soap & water. At least that was my experience in the field! ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    OutbackAZ said:
    I agree, not bad, at all.