Options

Propane tub needs floor

I bought a sheet of black plastic at Home Depot (8$) to provide a floor in the propane tub so I could store a few things there. This comes after getting home to find the tongue wheel I had wedged in there missing in action and presumed lost on the highway!
Has anyone done some similar work? Pics will post when I complete the job.
 2016 T@B CS/ 2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser

Comments

• Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited January 2017

Are you using some type of plastic mesh sheet?
    I believe the tub should not be enclosed at the bottom since propane is denser than air and sinks.
    Notice when you buy/exchange a tank they are stored in a mesh cage for ventilation.

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The upgraded diamond plate tub (stock on the Outback model) does have a solid aluminum floor. There is also an approximate 3" tall "wall" across the rear bottom of the diamond plate. As long as the rear wall is open there is enough ventilation for both the propane and any ventilation needed for wet cell batteries. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Verna said:
    The upgraded diamond plate tub (stock on the Outback model) does have a solid aluminum floor. There is also an approximate 3" tall "wall" across the rear bottom of the diamond plate. As long as the rear wall is open there is enough ventilation for both the propane and any ventilation needed for wet cell batteries. 
    I did drill a few drainage holes in the bottom of my aluminum tub since water collected there every time it rained. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Photomom said:
    Verna said:
    I did drill a few drainage holes in the bottom of my aluminum tub since water collected there every time it rained. 
    That is interesting, I have never had an issue with mine, I don't seem to get any water in the tub except when I am on the road in the rain.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    I cleaned the pin oak leaves from my tree out of the tub and left the leaves in AZ!  I think I still have some sand in the tub from last winter's sand storm in Southern California....so I really don't think mine gets wet. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    If there are no drain holes in the bottom of the Outback tub there must be a gap or slot by that 3" wall.
    Otherwise the tub would retain water in a heavy storm and create a nice little pond for skeeters while you camp. :)
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    Mine seems to be sealed up pretty well, then. After one rainstorm there was an inch of standing water in there.
  • Options

Photomom said:
    Mine seems to be sealed up pretty well, then. After one rainstorm there was an inch of standing water in there.
    Hmm... Houston we have a problem and I don't mean a holding pond for bugs.
  • Options
    dundonsdundons Member Posts: 36
    Back to my post, I finished the job today with the help of my friendly assistant (Mrs Dundon), and it looks pretty good with plenty of ventilation around the sides and back.

Always good to have an assistant with a wrench in hand.

Nice enclosed tub=no more lost wheels  :)
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    That looks really nice. How did you secure the plastic?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Photomom said:

What did you do to resolve this? Drill some drainage holes?

Verna said:

I don't see how this could be OSHA compliant for propane storage without bottom ventilation under the tank.

• Options

Verna said:

I don't see how this could be OSHA compliant for propane storage without bottom ventilation under the tank.

My suggestion, @TabberJohn, would be for you to call NuCampRV, contact Ed and tell him that NuCampRV's front diamond plate tub is not in compliance with OSHA. It would be helpful if you had the exact rule number and page number for the factory to refer to. Phone numbers are on the right side of this page. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    The factory has an R&D department, I know they discuss these modifications prior to introducing them into the build and am betting that they are well within any federal or OSHA requirements/regulations and expectations spelled out for the industry.  And as noted there is more than adequate ventilation in the tub area for any propane to dissipate should there be a leak and if sinks low in that area.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Yes, I did drill some drainage holes for water. I am not concerned about propane since we rarely use it and then only turn it on while we are using it, and the whole back of the tub is open.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

This thread's title is "Propane tub needs a floor". That caught my eye.
    In truth you never want to place your propane tank in an actual tub.

The T@B tub is really more of a cover than a tub and should remain so from a functional viewpoint.
    If you are want a floor or back wall, adding mesh grill would be the safer way to go.
    You can cage in a propane tank (outdoors). Just don't seal it in. That's basic OSHA compliance.
    http://www.propane101.com/propanecylinderstorage.htm
    https://www.oswaldcompanies.com/blog-feed/stay-osha-compliant-know-the-safety-regulations-of-propane/
    You're not even supposed to store a propane tank (full or empty) in your garage. Certainly not in a cellar. Some people may do that but it isn't safe.

Let's forget OSHA for the moment and talk about common sense.
    Natural gas = lighter than air, rises and quickly disperses.
    Propane gas (LP) = denser than air, sinks and pools, does not disperse quickly.
    Vented propane gas -- or a slow leak -- will seek the lowest level available. That is why the T@B propane alarm is near the floor.
    Some T@B owners have substituted after-market utility boxes for their tongue storage needs. Holes drilled for battery wiring and stove connection aren't enough for proper ventilation or drainage.
    Simple test -- If you can dump water over your propane tank and it pools underneath it, that is not a safe environment for propane storage.
    Easy fix -- Drill drainage holes along the bottom perimeter so regardless what angle the floor leans, water (or leaking propane) will flow down and out.

The probability of an explosion may be small, but why risk it by providing the exact ingredients required?
    1. leaking propane tank (bad connector, hose, whatever) 2. enclosed container or sealed tub underneath tank 3. electrical spark (battery connection)

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,442
    Good info, TabberJohn--thanks. I've dabbled with the idea of replacing the tub with a larger toolbox, but wondered about the propane venting implications based on comments made here in the past.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I had the entire back opened to the same size as the plastic bin with my diamond-plate box. Holes HAD to be drilled in bottom because of rain (in a nice neat pattern, btw). What was nice was I used some stainless steel mesh that some people use for radiator cover fronts that I got at a big box store (I'm not sure where else it's used). It comes in small sheets and was excellent for containing escaping wheels, bungie balls, slinky parts and the like.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    dundonsdundons Member Posts: 36
    @jkjenn, The sheet was slid under the tub and secured by the four existing bolts holding the tub down and a couple pop rivets. 
    After reading the thoughtful concerns posted by @TabberJohn, I drilled several holes in the floor perimiter. Future mod builders may wish to do the entire job with the SS mesh mentioned above. Thanks all.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Future mod builders may wish to do the entire job with the SS mesh mentioned above. Thanks all.

Another option would be plastic poultry flooring from your local farm center.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    jkjenn said:
    Future mod builders may wish to do the entire job with the SS mesh mentioned above. Thanks all.

Another option would be plastic poultry flooring from your local farm center.
    Oops, I thought you wrote local farmer and I was gonna say something about perhaps cleaning it well :lol:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)