Options

Awoken by detectors

It's always something with our beloved Sunny...this weekend, on our fifth trip out, we were jarred awake about 3 hours after going to sleep by the LP detector. We've never used the LP so we were befuddled, and by the time we got it to stop, the carbon monoxide detector started to go off. Then I was totally freaked out so we opened ALL the windows, even though it was really cold outside, and ran the fan full blast for the rest of the night.

So here's everything that was different about this trip than any other (and this will probably make some of you go "Duh"): we were plugged into 20 amp and still had both of our 15 amp switches on (but we were plugged in with a converter), and we were running an interior heater that should have been totally safe. In the morning we noticed that the battery box was really hot and smelled weird (we had turned off the electricity when the alarms went off). 

Flipping the 15 amp switches turned off the LP detector beeping, but nothing would turn off the CM detector. Even after the trailer was totally aired out, the unit gave off a high whine when I put the batteries back in. Does the whole unit need to be replaced now?

I'm just glad Sunny's not our final resting place. It was a gorgeous spot but not worthy of being our last trip. 

Tiff in Seattle

2012 BMW x3/2008 TCS "Sunny"

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    You didn't have anything in front of it, blocking it did you?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    SunnyTABSunnyTAB Member Posts: 65
    Neither the carbon monoxide nor the heater were blocked. 

Tiff in Seattle

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited September 2014
    Sounds like it's time to buy and install a new CM monitor?  Call the factory as they probably can supply you a replacement via their parts area.  I know there is a lifespan on these or any other similar detector too.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    All good advice. I spoke with our local RV folks....now my feeling is that none of this would have happened if we'd been plugged into 30amps, but they're suggesting we get our converter checked out and maybe our battery replaced (it's 7 years old, as is its spare). They had no advice on the CM detector, but I'll call the factory per Mike's suggestion.

Tiff in Seattle

• Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    A low battery will set it off in the Dutchmen models.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    The battery shouldn't have been low since we're now all hooked up to have it charge as we drive. I do think the batteries should be replaced as they are both about 6 years old and were totally dead when we bought the trailer. It's SO annoying that the CM detector won't reset. We'll find a nice weather weekend to bring her and have everything checked out before it gets too rainy.

Tiff in Seattle

• Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    Maybe you have some voltage drop.  The LP detector will beep when there is too little voltage which can indicate the battery is down.  I would check the voltage or have the battery tested.  It could be another electrical problem or connection.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    IACamperIACamper Member Posts: 109
    Tiff, it might still be possible your battery was low. I had never had a problem, but this year the charge isn't keeping up with the draw while I travel. I suspect the issue is with the tow vehicle wiring, but I haven't gotten around to dealing with it yet.
    Kristi Des Moines, IA 2008 T@B L
  • Options
    GidGid Member Posts: 4
    First check ALL the ground wire connections. Under In and On the TV.

• Options

Thanks everyone. We're going to take both batteries in when they check the converter.

If we'd been hooked up to 30 amp and this happened, I'd think it was just the batteries but there are so many variables. Now why won't the CM detector reset? That's so annoying.

Tiff in Seattle

• Options
    AnneLarkAnneLark Member Posts: 15
    1:00am, planning to leave on a forced-march style drive at 7am, and the alarm goes off with an urgent 6 beeps, pause, repeated for about 20 minutes. I am sleepy, have no idea what is wrong, or what to do. I check, no internet. NO ONE would be up at this hour. I go to the floor and see something has a light. Great. What is different this time? Yesterday we changed out the fuse for the Aldi, and get heat for the first time, and leave the heat on through the day, just to be sure it works. Sure enough. I unplug the Aldi, alarm still sounding. I plug it back in, still sounding. I open the window to let fresh chill in, still sounding. Finally we decide to go for a walk to a friend's house to wake them and get ourselves some sleep. I open the door, step out, and the alarm quits. I don't know if it was the cold, the fresh air, or if the alarm just got bored. So we came in, turned the heat down, and went on to sleep. T@B 2016 with shower and inside kitchen, hooked up to normal home power - I guess 20 amp?
    Traveling with The Tiny T@B@rn@cle
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 930
    I needed to replace the CO detector in my 2009 CS this spring.  Like yours it would not reset.  I think it had just passed its useful life.

The LP detector could have been set off by low voltage as suggested.  You had the fan on full and "the electricity off" so the fan would drain the battery fast as it was not being charged.

The "hot battery box" is a bit mysterious.  Is your battery under the closet?

20A vs 30A hook up should make no difference.  The input to the converter is no different.  It is possible the electric heater (~15A) could have caused low voltage on your 20A connection if the wiring was marginal.   I don't know of low supply voltage causing problems with the convertor - usually only air conditioning and other large draw appliances are effected.

• Options
    AnneLarkAnneLark Member Posts: 15
    AnneLark said:
    1:00am, planning to leave on a forced-march style drive at 7am, and the alarm goes off with an urgent 6 beeps, pause, repeated for about 20 minutes. I am sleepy, have no idea what is wrong, or what to do. I check, no internet. NO ONE would be up at this hour. I go to the floor and see something has a light. Great. What is different this time? Yesterday we changed out the fuse for the Aldi, and get heat for the first time, and leave the heat on through the day, just to be sure it works. Sure enough. I unplug the Aldi, alarm still sounding. I plug it back in, still sounding. I open the window to let fresh chill in, still sounding. Finally we decide to go for a walk to a friend's house to wake them and get ourselves some sleep. I open the door, step out, and the alarm quits. I don't know if it was the cold, the fresh air, or if the alarm just got bored. So we came in, turned the heat down, and went on to sleep. T@B 2016 with shower and inside kitchen, hooked up to normal home power - I guess 20 amp?
    I sure would like some specific help before we wind up out in the wilderness or in a downpour with no retreat!
    Traveling with The Tiny T@B@rn@cle
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    Which alarm is going off? Is it the one up above the driver's side window, or the one near the floor below the driver's side bench?
    2015 T@B S