Hitch height of T@B

kingintroykingintroy Member Posts: 8
edited October 2014 in Trailer & Towing
Just bought a 2008 T@B. I need  to know the proper height the hitch needs to be for towing.

Comments

• NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    There's another thread that was discussing this and as I recall - according to the manual - it's 16 inches to the top of the 2 inch ball. 
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Here's a video that will also help you determine it....

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Would just add that after I finally got the height just right, I had to play with the weight distribution to completely eliminate the wiggle.  Finally solved the problem by adding the spare tire to the tongue and placing some of my camp equipment ahead of the axle in the trailer when towing.  Each set up will be slightly different because of the difference in tow vehicles, and you may have to play around with it to get it just right.  You even need to consider how much weight you will be carrying in the tow vehicle because that will lower the rear end some.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    So a higher tongue weight (within reason) helped with the wiggle - Does weight distribution left to right affect much?
  • RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    I found that having more weight behind the trailer axle definitely increased the wiggle, so I moved some of it forward and it helped.  I try to keep side-to-side weight distribution as equal as possible and have not experimented with anything else.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited October 2014
    As Larry noted, weight distribution in general impacts the way the trailer tows and feels behind your vehicle.   If you are getting "trailer sway" (from side to side) then you probably have too much weight behind the axle or to the rear of the trailer, or not enough tongue weight.  By redistributing weight over the axle or between the tow vehicle and the front of the trailer axle you can correct this action of the trailer swaying from side to side.  As he noted above, put more weight on the tongue and also check tire inflation as it's important.   And remember too that with speed, the sidewalls of the tires do heat up and it's important to travel at a safe speed to be able to stop the trailer and ensure the integrity of the trials.  

Some useful tips can be found in the video below too....  

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • kingintroykingintroy Member Posts: 8
    Thank you all for taking the time to respond. The information has been very helpful.
  • GidGid Member Posts: 4
    Do LG T@Bs have a problem with weight distribution? I have a Dutchman CS and as long as I have SOME weight on the ball it follows with no problem. The main problem I have seen is too much tong weight for the tow vehicle. Even then the trailer follows but the tow vehicle is unstable.
  • TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588

Here's Michigan_Mike's first video clip post boiled down (C = drop/rise required):

Something else to consider when C is rounded to the nearest inch -- Depending on TV tow package and tongue weight the receiver tube might drop an inch when the ball is weighed down.
    Within an inch of where you want to be is spot on IMO.

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • HR_TalyHR_Taly Member Posts: 119
    Resurrecting this thread as I might be having a blonde moment...?

I suppose we all know that the proper measurement is 16" to the top of the ball for the T@B Max S to be towed level (Outback is different, I know).  BUT all the diagrams and information on how to properly measure for the length of the drop/rise tell you to measure "from the ground to the bottom of the coupler" (to get measurement "B" above). Not to the top of the ball. I know the 2" ball is the diameter, not the height.

So do you need to subtract the height of the ball mount from 16" to get the proper "B" measurement, or does anyone just know "B" for a standard (new) T@B Max S?

(... or am I just making this all more complicated?  =)  )

2018 T@B Max S silver and black (aka TadT@B), Full-timing since July 2017

edited July 2017

The diagram shows how to obtain an accurate drop/rise measurement with TV and trailer present.
    The formula assumes the T@B and TV are parked on level ground where you can level the tongue (with jack) before measuring B. 

16" is a ballpark ;) measurement from the T@B manual for a model 320 that can be used to determine drop/rise. Mention "16 inches to top of ball" to a local trailer hitch supplier and they'll figure out what you need assuming your TV receiver is already installed. They'll factor in the ball height as you surmised. 

In hindsight I wished we'd used the formula since the 16" method turned out to be bit high with our TV/T@B combo.
    I suggest rounding up to nearest available size if a drop is required or round down for a riser.
    Also make sure the ball gets mounted on the right side!! (yeah, that happened)

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • HR_TalyHR_Taly Member Posts: 119
    @TabberJohn I was hoping to purchase a ball mount (likely from eTrailer or Amazon) in advance before heading out on an 8 hour trip to pick up my T@B. I know that after loading, this can alter the height by an inch or so, but at least I know when I arrived, I should be able at least to hitch up and go and tow safely!

I found a source that stated the ball is a little over 2" in height.  So should I use:

Option 1: "A" - 16" = Ball mount with x drop (using manual that states 16" to top of ball)
    Option 2: "A" - 14" = Ball mount with x drop (using appox math to assume "B" is 16" minus 2" for the ball height)

With an 8 hour drive, I just want to get as close as possible - I know 2" can make a big difference to level towing!  (Don't ask me about my joke on why women don't make good carpenters!).  

2018 T@B Max S silver and black (aka TadT@B), Full-timing since July 2017

• rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    edited July 2017
    Where are you buying the trailer from?  Private, or dealer?

My dealer included the ball / mount in the purchase. I did not worry about it before picking up the trailer.  
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    HR_Taly said:
    (... or am I just making this all more complicated?  =)  )
    Probably. There are other variables involved, not least of which is how much your particular vehicle squats under the load of your particular trailer. If you want to be as precise as possible, park on level ground with everything hooked up and adjust the ball height as needed to get the trailer as close to level as possible.

I realize that is hard to do before you have the trailer. You'll need to make a best estimate using the available info, but be open to the idea that further adjustment may be needed.
    2015 T@B S
    If not sourcing the ball mount locally or through the dealer during pickup, I suggest you measure A (ground to inside top lip of receiver tube) then call etrailer with that measurement. Mention the T@B manual spec and your TV model. They likely have experience with that combo and can best advise you.
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    HR Taly, why not ask other TaB owners using your same TV what mount they used.  It will get you close anyway.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    We originally did 16" to the top of the ball...but turned out to be too high for a level tow.  Got a lower hitch for a level T@B and it tows MUCH smoother!

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• abenteurerabenteurer Member Posts: 72
    Pete, At 146 lbs your hitch weight seems a little light for a 2017 T@B Max S.  The recommended hitch weight is 10-15 percent of total trailer weight.  For example, my T@B weighs about 2000 lbs loaded for a trip so my hitch weight should be 200-300 lbs.  A dry trailer weighing 1700 lbs would need a hitch weight of 170-255 lbs to be within the recommended range.

2016 T@B M@x S | 2015 Grand Cherokee 5.7L HEMI (awesome) with factory tow pkg | 2017 Wrangler Sahara (awesome) 4-dr with factory max tow pkg
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    *Starts singing Jimmy Buffet* "... Wasting away again in Margaritaville, searching for my lost sugar and salt - some people claim there's a woman to blame....."
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)