Options

Zamp Solar Flexible

Has anyone installed the flexible model?  I was thinking that it could be attached to the roof in a section which had the least amount of curve.  I also thought that it could be installed as a removable installation when boon docking, by for example those Command strips. Thoughts?  Thanks!
SOLD: My T@BLEAU
2016 Max S Silver & Lt Blue T@B, 2007 Lexus 400h, Rockville & Port Republic, Maryland

Now riding/driving a Thor Vegas, 24.1 around the country

Comments

• Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited February 2017

Here's a recent discussion:  http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/60081
    It's going to take some type of secure mounting hardware since you don't want the panels blowing off or too easy to remove (theft).
    It is unclear how much a Zamp panel flexes, but other brands mention 30 degrees.

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    DebM11DebM11 Member Posts: 26
    Thank you!  I had done a search for Zamp flexible and didn't come up with that thread.
    SOLD: My T@BLEAU
    2016 Max S Silver & Lt Blue T@B, 2007 Lexus 400h, Rockville & Port Republic, Maryland

Now riding/driving a Thor Vegas, 24.1 around the country
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

Here's a recent discussion:  http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/60081
    It's going to take some type of secure mounting hardware since you don't want the panels blowing off or too easy to remove (theft).
    It is unclear how much a Zamp panel flexes, but other brands mention 30 degrees.

@Ratkity had mounted her Renogy flexible panels to her T@bitha. I believe she used some type of adhesive. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited February 2017
    I used 3M automotive trim tape, making sure if water ran down the roof, it wouldn't get underneath because the thickness of the trim tape isn't very high. I figured if cars and trucks running 70-90 mph don't lose their vehicle trim, my solar panel wasn't going anywhere. I was right. Then there was a problem. There was a recall. UGH. I had to use a plastic spatula in the snow to get it off. I was lucky because one square was overheating and temporarily discolored the roof. I still loved it.

It was 100W and ONLY for battery maintenance. Why? Because I live on the east coast and park under the shade when camping, so it wasn't secured or used for boondocking, it was secured cuz I live in "da hood". The T@Bitha was only parked in full sun in my driveway. It handled all the parasitic loads of the T@B.

One other caveat, all solar panels need airflow underneath the panel. The 3M automotive tape worked great for what I used the panel for, but it's efficiency was decreased because of lack of airflow (keeps it cooler on hot days and thus, more efficient).

There have been AMAZING advances in solar in the last 5 years. My sister has one of those Altos and two strips of totally flexible (not semi-flex) panel that does stick directly to the roof. They also camp like me, so I can't give you a report for an extended boondocking experience. 

I wish someone would sponsor our full-timers to give those totally flexible panels a run for their money. I think only 200W fit on the roof (100W per strip - the strips are long, taking nearly the entire roof and the outback rack would be in the way).
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 941
    The Altos used Unisolar panels (like those I use) which are NLA new. They are a hurricane rated roofing material and much different than other "flexible" panels I know of.  They are designed "peel and stick" for commercial metal roofing.  I'm not sure if new Altos are being built with NOS Unisolar panels or a new type. 
    As Ratkity described, cooling is a very important factor in PV solar panel efficiency.  It needs to be a blue winter day in Denver at noon with perfectly aligned panels to achieve rated wattage.  In my experience, a good day with the trailer in the sun I'll see 50-70% of rated output.  In this case, they are curved so they will never all be perfectly aligned.

• Options
    edited February 2017

I placed the spec PDF for the Zamp in my post above. The dimensions are 42"x22" which would easily fit either side of the fan vent.
    Two panels would provide you with 200 watts on a slightly curved surface.
    I believe 42" long would also fit starting just above an Outback rack.
    The issue is finding mounting hardware or strips that would allow you to slide the panels into place or otherwise install/remove them as needed.
    The mounting hardware/strips would be flexible or spaced apart so the design would work on flat or curved surfaces.
    Adhesive would only be used to attach the mounting hardware to the roof.
    Next you need similar mounting on a collapsible portable stand.
    Perhaps Zamp might be interested in offering this solution which could work for many types of RVs -- a portable/roof top conversion kit includes two 100 watt flex panels, mounting hardware, and collapsible stand with 25ft cable. :o

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options

I placed the spec PDF for the Zamp in my post above. The dimensions are 42"x22" which would easily fit either side of the fan vent.
    Two panels would provide you with 200 watts on a slightly curved surface.
    I believe 42" long would also fit starting just above an Outback rack.
    The issue is finding mounting hardware or strips that would allow you to slide the panels into place or otherwise install/remove them as needed.
    The mounting hardware/strips would be flexible or spaced apart so the design would work on flat or curved surfaces.
    Adhesive would only be used to attach the mounting hardware to the roof.
    Next you need similar mounting on a collapsible portable stand.
    Perhaps Zamp might be interested in offering this solution which could work for many types of RVs -- a portable/roof top conversion kit includes two 100 watt flex panels, mounting hardware, and collapsible stand with 25ft cable. :o

The problem with mounting these to hardware is that the primary means of mounting, is through the grommets and the grommets are not failsafe. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    edited February 2017
    I am suggesting long channeled strips the flex panels slide into and lock on one end.
    Similar to a storm window frame where the flex panel is the sliding storm window within.
    Only the side strips for the roof mount are flexible. Top/bottom are not.
    On the portable stand (solid all around) you'd drop the panels in from the top then lock the top.
    In both configurations the panels would be securely retained on all four sides. The top or bottom strip removes for insertion/removal. 
  • Options
    This is the point where I always remember that I can't bring myself to alter the whole look and feel of the T@b enough to go forward with a permanent mount. Others are fine with it and more power to them. I will stick with using my semi-flex panels as portable panels.

The other interesting option I have seen for mounting the semi flexible was by Jack Talley on the FB group. He has mounted on a pole at an angle (assuming optimized for sun angle) and it goes through the tongue...I believe he uses one of those portable flagpole holders for the pole but I cannot remember, for sure.