Options

Outback spare tire concerns

Greetings all,  New to the forum and first time posting on any media actually.  Been visiting here since the late summer of 2015 when I bought my Outback.  You guys are a wealth of information and very helpful, thanks.  I am moving my Outback spare tire off the back 'rack' to the front and observed it had a number of 'marks' on the tire.  Has any one else had this issue?  Should I replace the tire?  I'll post a pic'. Hopefully I'll get the right 'pixel' size correct for the team.  thanks for your input.  

TV-07 FJ w/lift kit & '15 T@B Outback Max S
Irvin - North, Alabama  

"...It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to..."  J.R.R. Tolkien

Comments

• Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    As a spare, I don't think I'd worry about it.  Probably cosmetic.  I'm curious if that's from heat or under inflation?  

I have the same tires and will be replacing after 6 years regardless of mileage. I imagine the spare will be mostly unused when the time comes.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Are those marks from the Yakima rack?
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Agree with db_cooper, cosmetic from where it was mounted on the Outback frame. Looks like from the cross member bars where they came in contact with the tire. Make sure 'ya check the air pressure though!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    Are those marks on both sides, or just the side against the rack?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    LeChapLeChap Member Posts: 5
    Yes, is from the Yakima rack.  Yes is only on the side which was against the rack. not on the other side.  Assume it was rubbed off or over tightened, but unsure.  wanted to know if anyone else has had this issue and if replacement is needed.  thanks 
    Irvin - North, Alabama  

"...It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to..."  J.R.R. Tolkien

• Options
    Good point db_Cooper..
    Irvin - North, Alabama  

• Options
    I just moved ours to the tongue as well.  This cover fit perfectly, and should hide most of the marks. :)

Classic Accessories 75347 Overdrive Universal Fit Spare Tire Cover, Black, Small https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MDZLR2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_5qdSpxQPozmd6

• Options
    thanks
    Irvin - North, Alabama  

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,443
    Along the same line, those using the jack-post mounting approach (where the tire actually sits on the frame rails), might want to rotate the tire on the mount every so often to avoid creating dents or other irregularities in the tire.

Anyone know if this is even an issue? I haven't touched my spare since moving it to the tongue a year ago.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    I was able to mount the bracket high enough to have the tire suspended about 1cm above the frame.  I was planning on letting it rest on the frame but that made it impossible to put the tire cover on.  I figure if the jack can hold the trailer it can hold the tire too. :)

• Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    edited March 2017
    I'd be concerned about the leverage from that tire's weight bouncing and bending the jack post.  Perhaps you can put the tire cover on first, then let the tire down to rest?
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA