Options

CS-S Refrigerator

I read the discussions on the various refrigerator options for T@Bs. I plan to order my CS-S soon, but I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around the refrigerator issue. I want a refrigerator that is on the unit (not in my TV). Is the 12v my only choice or should I order the unit without a refrigerator and can I put something else in. It sounds like the ARB cannot be put in the spot reserved for the fridge.

Also, does anyone understand and could explain why the three-way can't be in the CS-S?

Thanks,
Aileen
Aileen, Muggles & Scout @ 2018 T@b CS-S @ 2018 RAV4 Adventure @ Massachusetts

Comments

• Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 941
    The three way (LPG) cannot be vented properly with the CS installation.

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    3-way can't be vented <- Wonder if that's still true. Until recently, the 3-way was vented thru the front of the T@B. No way to do anything like that on the CSS. But, the 3-way fridges they are now putting in are vented to the passenger side.
  • Options
    VikingsVikings Member Posts: 147
    We have had CS-S for a year, over 5000 miles, and 20 plus nights out.  We are always nervous about the 'frig draining the battery when we have no shore power...which is a frequent occurrence.  And I hate running generator.  So this spring we are getting a solar suitcase which might solve our problem. 
    However, we wonder if trailer would have worked just as well with icebox (cooler) in the place of the 'frig. 
    Know I did not answer your question, just provided more to think about. 
    Good luck on your decision. 
    Kim & Mary Kay,  2016 CS-S,  Spokane, WA

Map of Provinces I Visited

• Options
    R&BR&B Member Posts: 16
    We had the Norcold AC/DC freezer/refrigerator installed in our CS. This is mounted on a pull out tray and provides for a counter that is flat all the way across. It is more miserly on power consumption as well. We have been very happy with it. 
  • Options
    geekmamageekmama Member Posts: 107
    R&B - Did you have them install it at the factory when you ordered the CS or later by someone else? I do like that pull out drawer.
  • Options
    R&BR&B Member Posts: 16
    Geek mama, had it installed by factory. Like I said real convenient and like the full width flat counter. 
  • Options
    Anyone have the ARB installed in the unit somehow, on a pull out tray or something?
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    geekmama said:
    Anyone have the ARB installed in the unit somehow, on a pull out tray or something?
    I've measured and my 50 qt ARB would fit sideways on a slideout tray. But, no, I have not tried it. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I was almost ready to mention the ARB. I don't have the 50. I have the smallest one - 37 qt. I did get the slide-out for my truck. It has sooooo much room! 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    So, it seems that the ARB can't really fit in the T@B itself. Thanks to all your help, I've decided to get the Norcold AC/DC freezer/refrigerator installed in the pull-out drawer.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,517
    We ordered ours to have a custom tray for the ARB frig.  It has not been built yet - sometime in March.  We sourced an aluminum slide for our 50 qt ARB and it will fit sideways.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    SAM, that sounds interesting, but I don't understand the sideways part. How do you open it if it's laying on its side? or do you mean it's upright, but just when you pull it out the side is facing you, not the front?
  • Options
    It is upright.  It is too deep to install it where the opening faces forward.  It will only fit the CS galley on a slide with the front of the ARB facing left or right.  Hope that makes sense.
  • Options
    RuntarootiRuntarooti Member Posts: 76
    How deep and tall is the galley on the CS? I am also considering what fridge to order, and wondering if my EdgeStar will fit.
    2015 T@B Max CS-S Silver and Black
    Goes where it's towed to by 2017 Subaru Outback
  • Options
    NomadPilgrimNomadPilgrim Member Posts: 111
    I'm ready to get rid of my fridge and get a Yeti cooler. I mostly boondock, 
    2016 T@B Maxx CS-S  following a 2008 4Runner Ltd

Be brave. Take risks. Nothing can substitute experience.-
    Paulo Coelho
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,507
    Resurrecting an old thread here but...
    I'm new to this trailering thing but I've spent a fair amount of time on sailboats.
    So I'm wondering, has Pleasant Valley ever considered using a marine-type top load refrigerator arrangement? Wouldn't that yield more storage in the same space and use less power due to superior insulation? 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    ARB is a top loader.
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,507
    SAM said:
    ARB is a top loader.
    Yes. But it's not built-in. LINK

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    seitzmikeseitzmike Member Posts: 25
    Do others find that the Norcold top loading frig (12v only) can not keep up when temps reach 90?  We have solved our battery problem, we think, so the battery reads 12.4 or so.  When the ambient temp reaches 90 or above, the frig temp goes into the 50's.  Has anyone found a solution to this?
    Marilyn & Mike, Vancouver, WA
    2016 Red on silver CS-S.  Pulled by 2016 Kia Sorento 6V AWD
    2016 T@B CS-S   2016 KIA Sorento   Vancouver, WA
  • Options
    TabsterTabster Member Posts: 118
    edited July 2017
    We have been having some terrible heat here in So Cal. 107 in the shade. Went campin 2 weeks ago. A week before I  left I turned on the fridge to cool. 3 days later I was going to  pack the fridg and discovered my converter had died. Fridge had drained my  battery  down to 6 volts and the fridge was 80 degrees!!  Turned off  fridge and deployed solar panels. Got the battery up to 13.7 in a couple days. The morning I left I turned the fridge on. I have a rubbermaid food storage container that fits in the door. Its tall and rectangular. Filled it with ice and put it in the door. Fridge cooled and held to 40 degrees on solar power for 2 days. Still had ice in the rubbermaid.will be emailing elsie about the converter. (Yes, I checked ALL the fuses)
    2015 CS. Ford f150 v8. Southern california
  • Options
    Oh no @Tabster!! Geesh. Glad you had the solar panels and didn't fry that battery. Don't forget to check the water if it's not an AGM battery. Ugh. I feel bad for all those in that heat wave.

Glad you found the converter issue before the trip? Not glad you had an issue to begin with.. bleh. Sounds like solar came to the rescue for your trip!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    TabsterTabster Member Posts: 118
    Thanks ratkity. It is an agm  hopefully no damage was done. If I didnt love solar before I sure do now!
    2015 CS. Ford f150 v8. Southern california
  • Options
    OKOK, it's a sign! I *must* get my solar stuff SETUP! :lol: