2017 Fall J@m - September - Pacif NW - T@b Gathering at Ft Worden State Park, Pt Townsend, WA

Comments

• icesk8ricesk8r Member Posts: 5
    Just found out about this event.  We really wanted to come and show off our new T@B 400, but it looks like all the sites are booked!
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    Check the other loops
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • icesk8ricesk8r Member Posts: 5
    The whole campground is booked.  Upper and lower.
  • Bill_CochraneBill_Cochrane Member Posts: 103
    Getting there.  Other than:

1.  the Reservation Number email sent from the Washington State Park,

and

2.  the Port Townsend / Coupeville Ferry reservation ( if decide to reserve that);

Is there any other Fort Worden State Park pass required?  

2017 White with Black T@B Outb@ck, Max S ( rec'd on May 2nd, 2017)
    TV is a 2017 White Honda Ridgeline, Detroit Auto Show North American Truck of the Year  Love it. 

• Bill_CochraneBill_Cochrane Member Posts: 103
    Believe I just found my answer:

Exemptions

Your purchase of the Discover Pass supports recreation on state lands. However, you do not need to purchase the pass under the following circumstances:
    • If you are camping or ... you will not need a Discover Pass for access to the state park where you are staying for the duration of your stay. ...

2017 White with Black T@B Outb@ck, Max S ( rec'd on May 2nd, 2017)
    TV is a 2017 White Honda Ridgeline, Detroit Auto Show North American Truck of the Year  Love it. 

• HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    I bought my Discover Pass in December for myself for Christmas, then found that out. I consider it a gift to the cause. It's good to know, though! Have a great time there!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • SeadusterSeaduster Member Posts: 147
    Would anyone be willing to give a "winterizing" demonstration at the meetup?
    2017 white/black trim T@B Outback; 2017 white Subaru Outback; Seattle
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Aussie, Good foresight! THAT time of year will be here before 'ya know it! Pretty simple procedure that is a lot more intimidating that it needs to be. Hopefully someone will step up & be willing to share.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• SeadusterSeaduster Member Posts: 147
    I'll even offer up my "Aussie" as the test vehicle.  (That otta get her fixed up for the winter ;)  )
    2017 white/black trim T@B Outback; 2017 white Subaru Outback; Seattle
  • TTTabTTTab Member Posts: 100
    Does someone have a photo of the Alde setup for early2015. I cannot figure out the valves that should be open. Not logical. They drain out under the trailer. The one that goes to the drain drains in the closed position. 
    2015 T@B M@x S silver and white
    tv 2010 Lexus RX350 Matador red  
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @TTTab check out the winterizing and plumbing category to the left. And @Michigan_Mike just posted this photo-he has a 2015 T@B.
    http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/profile/Michigan_Mike
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• FuzzyYanniFuzzyYanni Member Posts: 110
    "I know one thing, I know nothing."
  • 2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 904
    @TTTab- ours has started draining out the bottom sometimes too... Not sure what to tell you.
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    edited August 2017
    I have a 2014 CS with early Alde model, I'd be glad to share info on winterizing or help with any questions on the plumbing or electrical, or what have you.

Showing or explaining in person is far more effective than reading up about it, I've found. ;)
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
    I am finally making my plans for the trip to Ft Worden, to arrive Thurs Sept 21st.  So, any suggestions on camping in ND, MT, ID, WA along the way from MN. I will leave on Sept 12th.  I will probably take interstate 94 to 90.  I know I will stop for a few days in Theodore Roosevelt NP somewhere.  I will need to make one other stop before that.  Then MT?,ID,WA.  Any suggestions would be great.  I am off on Mon for 2 nights to Willow River State Park WI for my maiden voyage, trial run.   Also I guess I will need to make reservations for some ferry to get to Part Townsend.  Where would that be?  Thanks excited!!!
  • Mariner459Mariner459 Member Posts: 146
    edited August 2017
    Great!  There are about four ferries that traverse the Puget Sound one way or another coming from Seattle or other towns towns near Seattle over to the Olympic peninsula as you may know.  And you may also opt to "drive around" going down to Tacoma and then northward...lots of miles, rush hours, etc., but you do get to cross the infamous Tacoma Narrows Bridge which we often do if it's not rush hour.  Let me give you our humble opinion more specifically.  

Normally if you are coming to Seattle via I-90, you can drop down in the heart of the city and board the large Bainbridge Island ferry boat (holds about 300 vehicles and about 1200 walk on riders) that runs about every hour and more in commute times.  

Unfortunately the Colman dock is torn all to heck with restoration  construction these days, and it can be chaos down there with possible daily detours and can be complicated by morning and afternoon commuters.  Because of the excessive construction currently, we avoid it and instead use the slightly smaller sized ferry at Edmonds, WA, to cross over to Kingston and wind around through historical Port Gamble (go slow there...they mean 25 mph where it says that).....and head across the Hood Canal floating bridge to turn off on Hwy 19 that leads to Port Townsend.  The rate for the Edmonds/Kingston crossing is very similar to Bainbridge and that route to Edmonds is I-5 north and bypasses some the downtown construction...that is a few miles driving north of Seattle but also is also getting up a little northward which is required anyway on the western shore. Look at the map to understand.

There has not been any way to reserve a ferry spot out of Bainbridge nor Kingston!!  You just get in line. I highlight that because I think there's some confusion.  Be sure to know your max height and turn off propane when approaching pay booths.  They take credit cards....and you can buy roundtrip if you plan to come back the very same way...no date must be declared....money paid expires eventually I recall. And you may use the return ticket on other routes if price is same, varies.

Now, if you want to take a ferry that lands in downtown Port Townsend from east Puget Sound, you must take TWO ferries or drive a lot and then one.  You get on the Mukilteo to Clinton ferry (much smaller) and ride to Whidbey Island.  Then you drive a ways around/up Whidbey Island and pay/wait/load again but by reservation at the Whidbey Island Coupeville ferry to cross to Port Townsend.  Last I checked, the Mukilteo didn't require reservation but Whidbey Coupeville to Port Townsend has. They may have a few open slots without advanced online reservations but we have never been able to load reasonably quckly without making a reservation several days in advance or more, depending on tourist activity piling onto the smaller vessel.  :-)  

I will add link to Edmonds and Kingston ferry route below. Thumb typing right now.

Driving around from Port Townsend to Seattle often takes us 2 to 3 hours.  Driving from Port Townsend to Kingston or Bainbridge, waiting, loading, crossing, offloading and getting back to I-90 in Seattle also takes about 2 to 3 hours.  Difference is windshield driving plus Tacoma Bridge fare vs one or two ferry fares.  So depends on what else you want to see and cost.

You can also drive further north of Mukilteo and drive across a bridge near Anacortes area onto north Whidbey, then wind down to Coupeville ferry and with a recommended pre-reservation, cross to Port Townsend.  Lots of driving, too, on this option but like any driving up here...rural and scenic if away from big cities.....and last one boast crossing the historic Deception Pass bridge.

Ok!

Note, check your trailer brakes after 200 mile break in, recommend you address with dealer under warranty...ours were defective and scared us to death in a rainy trip. And.....we had a handout all about the "self adjusting brakes" and turned out they were NOT that type and both had to be replaced.  Whew!
    Wow @Mariner459!!  Thanks for all of the info. I am interested in seeing the area but not necessarily while pulling my T@B.  I have been to Seattle and the San Juans but not the Olympic peninsula.  Oops that may be a lie!  We left the San Jauns with my cousins after a sailing trip Sept 10 2001 and drove back to Portland only to wake up the next morning to the news and pictures of the twin towers being hit.   I was just a back seat passenger so I don't remember which route we drove.  After driving over 1700 miles to get there, I think I will want the drive the least stressful route so you tell me which way to go!!! Really excited about this adventure.
    If it was me... coming from Eastern WA way, I would come I-90 and when it t-bones into I-5, I would go north.  And then follow these directions to the Edmonds ferry.  And keep this link because it even tells you how backed up the sailings are with cars. You can always meander another way going home. 

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/vesselwatch/terminaldetail.aspx?terminalid=8
    P.S.  we were on Bainbridge ferry going into work when 9/11 hit...tragic.

@TTTab we are so very happy you may be feeling much better and able to join in!
    Sounds good thanks  Eastern WA T@Bbers, any suggestions on places to camp coming thru your territory??
    edited September 2017
    Cabelas in Billing Mt and Post Falls Id.
    are a great place to overnight. Easy off I 90. Free with water and dump.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
    Thanks @Dalehelman

• RedDoorGalsRedDoorGals Member Posts: 23
    Dry Falls state park on the Columbia. At the very least stop at the overlook on Hwy 2. If your a blue hiway traveler try Hwy 2 west from Spokane. Lovely non-freeway option. 

Also: take the cover off the ceiling vent to avoid an expensive doubling
    of your ferry fees!
    2018 T@B CS-S; pulled by a 2010 Toyota Tacoma v6
  • sephajsephaj Member Posts: 16
    @RedDoorGals Could you expound a bit about " take the cover off the ceiling vent to avoid an expensive doubling
    of your ferry fees! " ?
    The ferrys base fares on height and  length. If you have an after market roof hatch cover it will put you in the next  fare bracket which is  substantially  higher. I think even a stock Outback will put you in the next bracket.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • 2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 904
    So if I have not added anything to the top of my trailer, I should be fine?
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

edited September 2017
    More ferry info.

It's a surcharge effect.

22’ to under 30′ Under 7′2″ High 22.50 Peak Season 28.10 Based Fares

22’ to under 30′ Over 7′2″ High 44.75 Peak Season 55.90

30’ to under 40′ Regular Fare 59.80 Peak Season 74.75

40’ to under 50′ Regular Fare 74.85 Peak Season 93.60
    Etc etc