Frig while towing

is it a bad idea to keep anything inside the refrigerator while towing? What about when driving on dirt roads?

Comments

• NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    No - We full/part timers do it all the time. Keep the fridge on so nothing spoils.
  • db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    You'll learn how to pack it to keep stuff from bouncing around too much.  We were running it on battery while traveling, but you'll find it freezes things as it runs on high on battery, no thermostat control.  Now we run on propane while moving, with no ill effects. 

The Norcold is well insulated, if stuff is cold you can turn it off for hours and it holds the cold.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    If you run on propane (which I prefer) and your fridge vents are on the front of the T@B, stop every so often and make sure it's still lit. Winds/gusts can blow out the flame. I've even had it blow out in high winds in a campground.
  • db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    Agreed with Pxl, I check when we stop, so far no blow outs yet. 
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    How would the beer stay cold if I didn't keep it in the fridge.  You just learn how to pack it so stuff does not bounce around too much.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Gotta keep the beer cold! I found a dedicated cooler works the best! =)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    Ericnliz, is that the one on wheels with the attachable pull straps? ;-)
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Nope. ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    The thermostat is inoperable when connected to the TV battery?
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    OutbackAZ said:
    The thermostat is inoperable when connected to the TV battery?
    On dc power, yes.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Boo - are you saying the thermostat does work on DC?
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @OutbackAZ, Frank, there is no thermostat operating while on the T@B's battery. The thermostat only works on AC or propane. Someone noted that last year (I think) when they were going through the Norcold schematics and associated paperwork. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    Thanks Jenn, Boo and Verna. Did not know that. I'll travel with the Norcold on propane from now on. Too many temperature variations cannot promote food safety.
  • AldebaranJillAldebaranJill Member Posts: 451
    OutbackAZ said:
    Thanks Jenn, Boo and Verna. Did not know that. I'll travel with the Norcold on propane from now on. Too many temperature variations cannot promote food safety.
    Getting a digital thermometer with probe that lives inside the fridge has really surprised me with regard to interior temperature with various knob positions vs outside temp (propane or AC). Wild differences day to night and between running propane and running on shore power. I used to rely on knob setting, now I rely on thermometer and adjust knob several times daily to keep between 34 and 40 F. 
    2013 MAXX T@B towed by a 2015 Volvo S60 5 CYL AWD Sedan
    Seattle, WA
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    If you don't use the 12 volt when towing when would you use it? My understanding is that 12 volts is designed to maintain when traveling, and operates at low level. That is why it is not thermostaticly controlled. I always use it, but it is very important to remember to switch to an alternate source upon arrival.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    We used 12v on the the way to the first winery last weekend but it was less than 30 minutes away. It was easier than taking the time to turn on the propane. But, I've been concerned about using the refrigerator on 12v too.... based on the story after story of people that ended up at camp with a dead battery. @Dalehelman I should know but it seems that I forgot what you tow with? do you have a beefed up alternator because you purchased the tow package for your TV?
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    dsatwork said:
    We used 12v on the the way to the first winery last weekend but it was less than 30 minutes away. It was easier than taking the time to turn on the propane. But, I've been concerned about using the refrigerator on 12v too.... based on the story after story of people that ended up at camp with a dead battery. @Dalehelman I should know but it seems that I forgot what you tow with? do you have a beefed up alternator because you purchased the tow package for your TV?
    2015 Jeep GC with factory tow package 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    dsatwork said:
    If you are going to be traveling less than 3 hours, you could easily get away with letting your fridge cool down before you leave and leaving it off while you drive.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Thanks @jkjenn but on our big trip the days are going to be 6 to 7 hour days...but we may give it a go on one of the days that we have electricity and water... so if it does drain the battery...no harm no foul. Also we ran  the fridge on propane all weekend and it worked perfectly. 
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
    dsatwork said:
    2015 Jeep GC with factory tow package yes my theory is proved ....with the powerful alternator...it's not a problem
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    I gave up on the 12V setting after season one. Even if the TV alternator was able to keep up with the demand, it was too much hassle to remember to turn it off at every stop to avoid draining the T@B battery.

If we pre-chill the fridge on AC, then pack it with cold/frozen items (including two jugs of must-have ice cubes) we arrive in camp 6+ hours later with everything still rock solid. If you think of the Norcold as a simple cooler, it's no different than what we did tent camping.
    2015 T@B S