Options

What is the hottest temp you have camped in and what cooling strategies/tips/tricks did you use?

I was in Indian Wells at the BNP Paribas Open last week and it hit 97F. I had a rental house with friends but was wondering if it would be feasible to come back next year in my T@B and stay nearby with hookups and use the A/C. I am interested in hearing hot weather T@B stories and what worked best to keep cool, especially at night.

Thanks in advance!
Jill
2013 MAXX T@B towed by a 2015 Volvo S60 5 CYL AWD Sedan
Seattle, WA

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited March 2017
    107 in a ghost town in SD - Headed to a river campground with shade trees, unloaded the generator, fired up the AC ... Luckily it cooled off enough at night so I didn't need the air. Shade was the biggy though.
    Edit-Add: I also made a deflector out of thin plastic sign material so the cool air was directed lower - down where I was sitting editing photos.
  • Options
    JiroTXJiroTX Member Posts: 124
    I live in East Texas. Temperature reaches 100+ easily in summer. Humidity is terrible most days, but if it gets too hot, humidity usually goes down (still very humid at night time-90% ish). Like PXLated said, shade is the important part of summer camping around here. A/C won't cool your T@B low enough (mine stayed 85F with A/C on when I tried when it was 105F outside), and there's a possibility your fridge (if you have one) does not cool enough if you are getting direct sunlight on the front part of your T@B....
    With proper shade, A/C and fridge should work fine. You can just buy a 12"x12" canopy and cover your T@B and hope for calm weather. I would get some canopy leg weights.

Jiro
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    It hit 104- to 108 for me in Utah and AZ, dry heat, this summer and only one site in these temps had shade. I found it too hot for the a/c to keep up in the hottest part of the day, but the a/c would start to really do its job, again after the sun went down. We took rocky (dog) with us and would do auto touring during the hot afternoons. I actually find that if in a humid area it is worse at a lower temperature. 

I think the canopy is not a bad idea for those consistently in this kind of heat. The fridge on a/c did OK for me, but it definitely struggles a bit. 

I did get a small amount of shade in Zion and that helped a little. Also, the Visor XL helps if you are getting direct afternoon sun on the side of your T@b. I am sure the awning or tent room help similarly. 

Honestly, you can fairly comfortable with the fan on high up into the high 80's, I think. I have a very low tolerance for heat, an even lower tolerance for humidity, and a very high affinity for cold weather. :)

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    111F last year and high humidity - hottest day of the year at a nearby KOA meeting my friend with his new land yacht and my sister's new Alto. My friend's 35' camper AC couldn't keep up in full sun. My T@B did just fine in full sun. I was worried it wasn't dripping enough condensation out of the pan, but it was a non-issue. The Alto did great too and there was two people in it. Those big rigs had water condensate pouring out of their ACs. Different types of ACs. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    edited March 2017
    We also camped in 100+ degree weather last year boondocking with no A/C. Had the tent room attached, and it actually made things worse when we just zipped up the screen, with windows partitions rolled up. Retains a lot of heat. Finally figured out to turn the inside fan on with the window open on the passenger side trick, and it helped a lot! Open the windows in the tent up and let it rip. Fortunately with the fan on, it cooled off nicely. About an hour or so after sunset, was able to open everything up, and it cooled off enough just to leave the fan on low to help circulate the air.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    AldebaranJillAldebaranJill Member Posts: 452
    Appreciate everyone's input! If I go the canopy route, it seems like you recommend the 12 x 12 vs 10 x 10 - wondering why, and which brands/styles of canopy people prefer.
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    JiroTXJiroTX Member Posts: 124
    I saw somebody using 10"x10" on YouTube, and he upgraded to 12"x12". Search jefferic 321 on YouTube and look at some of his videos. Look at the thumbnails and find blue canopy (10"x10") and brown-ish beige canopy (12"x12") on his T@B (videos from Sep. and Oct. 2015). It's a BIG difference. I think the price difference is only $30-40. 10"x10" can cover your T@B, but I would personally get the 12"x12". I would slide it to the front part so it can cover the fridge.
  • Options
    JiroTX said:
    I saw somebody using 10"x10" on YouTube, and he upgraded to 12"x12". Search jefferic 321 on YouTube and look at some of his videos. Look at the thumbnails and find blue canopy (10"x10") and brown-ish beige canopy (12"x12") on his T@B (videos from Sep. and Oct. 2015). It's a BIG difference. I think the price difference is only $30-40. 10"x10" can cover your T@B, but I would personally get the 12"x12". I would slide it to the front part so it can cover the fridge.
    Found the JeffEric321 - perfect,  I can see the canopy exactly, thanks!
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    edited March 2017

If you want to give your AC unit a break add this little trick. PopT@B gets all the credit for this idea. Trust me your AC unit will love you for it.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Thanks Dale - I was going to do that.
    What's the brass looking thing?
  • Options
    Rolltide82Rolltide82 Member Posts: 89
    edited March 2017
    If you want to give your AC unit a break add this little trick. PopT@B gets all the credit for this idea. Trust me your AC unit will love you for it.
    How does that help?  Just curious....I'll pick some up tomorrow at Lowes .  I live in Georgia so I'll need all the help I can get.
  • Options
    Rolltide - There's both intake and exhaust on the back of the AC unit. That mod keeps them from mixing.
  • Options
    Rolltide82Rolltide82 Member Posts: 89
    Ahh ok thanks.   Never have had a window type AC unit
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    The vents on the side of the A/C intake fresh air while the rear vent expels hot air.  Pop-Tab's idea with the plastic grill deflectors was brilliant.  Also, Dale's use of the grey foam in the grill is inspired.  Where do you get that Dale?  Do you leave it in all the time?
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    The foam stays in place the deflectors are held on with magnets. With out the deflectors the hot  exhaust is sucked right back in. Instead of in taking cooler air. The hot air just gets hotter and hotter as it is  recirculated.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    There was a similar mod I saw where the deflection was on the center part and exhausted the hot air up.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    There was a similar mod I saw where the deflection was on the center part and exhausted the hot air up.
    That would not be as efficient because deflation is also flow restricting.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Thought up would be better since hot air rises - How much restriction is there in real life terms?
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Thought up would be better since hot air rises - How much restriction is there in real life terms?
    If we were talking convection true, but this is forced air so even a slight restriction has an effect over hours and hours of use.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,517
    Dale, what kind of little foam fingers did you put between the air cond. grates?  Looks like it was made for that area.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    hymiehymie Member Posts: 150
    @SAM The foam looks like what hardware stores sell as backer rod for caulking (also called caulking cord). It comes in several diameters (1/4",1/2",3/4" etc). Very inexpensive and entirely useful for all sorts of stuff.
    James & Jacquie     Almonte, Ontario
    2016 Jeep Cherokee & 2017 T@B Outback
  • Options
    hymie said:
    @SAM The foam looks like what hardware stores sell as backer rod for caulking (also called caulking cord). It comes in several diameters (1/4",1/2",3/4" etc). Very inexpensive and entirely useful for all sorts of stuff.
    Correct 5/8 foam backer rod Home Depot SKU # 803064 There is a vertical piece that you can't see behind. The fingers that you see are glued to it.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,517
    Thanks
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Dalehelman, Do 'ya take yer lawn chair and coffee cup with you? Just kidding, say hi to Sandi, and travel safe.  ;)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    ericnliz said:
    Dalehelman, Do 'ya take yer lawn chair and coffee cup with you? Just kidding, say hi to Sandi, and travel safe.  ;)
    Heading home next week.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    A picture to tell the story to boot! Looking forward to seeing you two again. Keep the shiny side up, and the wheels between the ditches!  :)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Added to Mod To Do List - Thanks @Dalehelman !
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I've camped with my Dutchmen in 102 degrees, and the CoolCat kept up just fine. During the day, just sitting under the awning with the door open and a fan blowing the CoolCat air towards me helped tremendously. In the evenings, the CoolCat kept it really cool inside the T@B.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    You are lucky -- the Cool Cat has twice (or more) the BTU cooling power than the standard AC unit, I believe.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    ❤ everyone!
    Seattle, WA