Options

Jensen TV & Stereo - Work on Battery Alone?

So I know the Jensen TV & Stereo are 12v and I've found at least one post from 2016 that says they will work on battery alone (when not connected to shore power).

But... I just saw this in the 2017 Manual: "Televisions run on 12VDC and 120VAC power. Your recreational vehicle must be connected to shore power have the generator (optional) connected for the TV to operate." (page 31).

Is this a typo?  I know it doesn't make much sense as it even confirms at least the TV is 12v...

Also, could anyone confirm (in a 2017) the Model number of the TV and Jensen stereo?

2018 T@B Max S silver and black (aka TadT@B), Full-timing since July 2017

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    They absolutely will run on battery, alone, but just make sure you  understand how much battery they will use. 

I have a spreadsheet with the common things used in the T@b and the power they consume. The Jensen stereo used is the old Jensen, not the model with Bluetooth, but I doubt there is much, if any difference.But, you can see how much power is consumed if you use just the tv, DVD plater, or all 3 and model the impact of using different things on your battery.

https://1drv.ms/x/s!Ap2jOFwlywQSmI8nvyWYKrbg1hkDUA

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    HR_TalyHR_Taly Member Posts: 119
    Thanks for confirming @jkjenn! Strange the manual says that it won't work.  Should we give feedback to Nu Camp for the next iteration?

Appreciate the spreadsheet, too.  My set up looks similar to yours, 225Ah battery bank and 200w solar.  Although I'll be out of my T@B most of the day nearly every day, so the occasional use (I'm still more of a kindle person!) won't impact me too much.  Just wanted to know if it would be available if I wanted it!

2018 T@B Max S silver and black (aka TadT@B), Full-timing since July 2017

• Options
    lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    I upgraded my battery to a 100 amp hour battery and I have solar panels.  One movie each nights makes a noticeable but not unacceptable drain to the battery, as long as you are sure you will get a good charge the next day.  If I was buying new from the dealer, I might get a TV with a built in DVD player and skip the Jensen.  We mostly listen to music from an iPhone through a Bose rechargeable speaker.  That Jensen is taking up some serious storage space.
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Best investment I made was getting the bluetooth BOSE Mini speaker. Charge it, and it lasts quite a while and sounds great. (https://www.amazon.com/BOSE-SoundLink-Mini-Bluetooth-speaker/dp/B00D89H1NO/ref=sr_1_22?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1490654227&sr=1-22&keywords=bose+bluetooth+speaker).

That would eliminate the Jensen all together. I rarely watch TV and have a 110V small LG bluetooth player and 110V LG TV for when I have electric hookups and it's raining. Mostly, I read my Kindle or just collapse after a long exhausting day by the fire talking to friends. :)

2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    The Jensen unit generates parasitic draw when off.  I installed a 12V on/off switch in the cabinet wall next to it.  I also unplug the power cord from the television when not in use.  Every little bit helps conserve battery power.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Ratkity said:
    Best investment I made was getting the bluetooth BOSE Mini speaker. Charge it, and it lasts quite a while and sounds great. (https://www.amazon.com/BOSE-SoundLink-Mini-Bluetooth-speaker/dp/B00D89H1NO/ref=sr_1_22?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1490654227&sr=1-22&keywords=bose+bluetooth+speaker).

That would eliminate the Jensen all together. I rarely watch TV and have a 110V small LG bluetooth player and 110V LG TV for when I have electric hookups and it's raining. Mostly, I read my Kindle or just collapse after a long exhausting day by the fire talking to friends. :)

I will probably be doing this, often this summer with my Bluetooth speaker, using the headphone port.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    HR_Taly said:
    Thanks for confirming @jkjenn! Strange the manual says that it won't work.  Should we give feedback to Nu Camp for the next iteration?

Appreciate the spreadsheet, too.  My set up looks similar to yours, 225Ah battery bank and 200w solar.  Although I'll be out of my T@B most of the day nearly every day, so the occasional use (I'm still more of a kindle person!) won't impact me too much.  Just wanted to know if it would be available if I wanted it!
    It's the way Jensen describes, actually. I noticed that recently when I started looking at replacements for my broken TV.