Options

Where do keep your T@B spare tire?

TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
edited March 2017 in Modifications & Upgrades
Lots of discussions here about where and how to mount the spare tire.
Let's see how that breaks down or where it is when you do break down. ;)
2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)

Where do keep your T@B spare tire? 72 votes

Underneath factory mount
22% 16 votes
Underneath but plan to move it
12% 9 votes
Inside under back couch
2% 2 votes
Front tongue, jack mount
20% 15 votes
Front tongue, a-frame mount
16% 12 votes
On rear rack, Outback style
8% 6 votes
Carry in TV
11% 8 votes
No spare (What, me worry?)
1% 1 vote
Other
4% 3 votes

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I moved to a frame, moved to inside T@b, moved to TV, and am now moving it back to A frame.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    Started outside on the Outback rack, moved inside under the bed,  now mounted to the jack and resting on the frame.  Imagine it will stay there. :)

2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited March 2017
    My frame mount - notice the spacer inserted, allowed me to move the tire a little further back without the tire hitting or being too close to the tub...

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    We plan to carry it on top of the minivan.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    gbellgbell Member Posts: 88
    PXL does the spacer (piece of wood?) Allow the bracket to be behind the emergency brake cable. If so I would like to do the same with ours. We didn't think of that when we put ours on. Thx
  • Options
    gbell - The emergency brake box is in the frame almost exactly lined up with the wood block.
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    I had my T@B tire on the roof of my Jeep Wrangler then decided as it has the same hole pattern as my Jeep I removed my Jeeps spare and mounted the T@B tire on the Jeep where the spare goes. If I have a flat on the Jeep I can use the T@B tire as a smaller doughnut tire on the Jeep till I can reach a tire shop. Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    gulfarea - Daring ... Really big difference in size between my T@B tire and the Wrangler.
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    For longer trips I would place the spare on my TV.  Works well and still easier to get to than if it were under the T@B.  The new TV doesn't have a rack like this so I think I will finally get a mount for the tongue, much like PXLated's. 

I would mount it against the jack, as many others have done, however the diamond plate box along with the further back placement of the jack due to the surge brakes make for a space too small to do that.  Placing it off to the side will have the advantage of helping with my unbalanced tongue weight issue when I am also towing with a full fresh water tank.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    edited March 2017
    PXL, Does having your spare mounted there hinder getting to your propane tank? Yup, serious question. Would like to mount mine in a similar fashion and would like to know.
    Thanks, Eric
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    JoeJoe Member Posts: 72
    Spare #1 on the back of the Outback.  
    Spare #2 on the A-Frame.  
    I carry two spares because of a bad flat tire experience in remote northern New Mexico. 

2015 Max U Outback; 2011 Chevy Silverado 4X4; Austin, Tx
  • Options
    ericnliz - Hasn't so far.
  • Options
    PXL, Thanks.
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    jschemeljschemel Member Posts: 79
    We keep ours in tv for now. Considering moving to front of trailer but not sure how that would affect tongue weight on our clamshell. Looks like most who have done that have inside kitchen.
    Jaynie and Larry - Palo Alto, CA - 2015 T@B CS-S - Expedition EL - Nights spent in "T@b Spirit of Holly" 97
    (9/22/19/
  • Options
    ericnliz - I should add though that I've always stood on the drivers side when I pull my tank - up, angled and out.
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    PXL I have the 15 inch tires on my 1999 Wrangler, you may have 16 or 17 on yours which would make a big difference. 
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    gulfarea said:
    PXL I have the 15 inch tires on my 1999 Wrangler, you may have 16 or 17 on yours which would make a big difference. 

Actually, some of the JKU's have 18". My Sahara had 18" but I picked up some Rubicon rims for easier and cheaper tire replacement.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
  • Options
    PXL, git out yer wallet for replacement on those babies! I have 17" on my Avalanche, and I sat down when I priced 'em out. Not cheap, but 'ya get what 'ya pay for. ;)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Ya, I know, replaced them this summer.
  • Options
    texasaubiefantexasaubiefan Member Posts: 62
    I'm still trying to decide.  I'm pulling with a JKU and had the dealer add the outback platform and box to my sofitel.  Tongue weight is my biggest concern.  Besides, I'd like to add the storage bin for hoses (even though it currently won't work w/the outback mods), that would eliminate a jack mount or side mount.  And I need to remove my jack to access the jeep.  So.....I'm leaning towards getting the rack installed on the back and carrying that way.  Thoughts?
    2017 T@B 320-S, Sofitel (M@bel)
    Mabel is my great grandmother that I never knew.  She took her 3 sons (ages 8-2) on an epic adventure from Alabama to Florida in the 1930's in the back of a pick up truck.  I named my female English springer spaniel after my mother.  Might as well go for broke with the brownie points in Heaven!   
    TV: 2018 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew 
    David & Jill, Houston, TX
  • Options
    edited April 2017

I'm still trying to decide.  I'm pulling with a JKU and had the dealer add the outback platform and box to my sofitel.  Tongue weight is my biggest concern.  Besides, I'd like to add the storage bin for hoses (even though it currently won't work w/the outback mods), that would eliminate a jack mount or side mount.  And I need to remove my jack to access the jeep.  So.....I'm leaning towards getting the rack installed on the back and carrying that way.  Thoughts?

@Texasaubiefan That might not be a bad idea. You could also mount it on top of the JKU if you have a roof rack. 

I couldn't fit it on the tongue last year because I had a box for dual GC batteries in front of the storage tank so I carried it in the cargo area of my Grand Cherokee. It was a real pain. This year I had the OUtback platform and storage tub installed and moved the batteries to the storage tub, so I can, once again have the spare tire on the tongue. Since the sewer hose storage won't work with the Outback tub, it makes sense to put the tire on the tongue and move keep the sewer hose either in the tub or in one of those PVC pipe solutions. I am not real fond of the look of the PVC pipe, so, for now, I will stick with the tub. 

I am on the hunt for some type of bag - like Tyvek that I can use to put the hose in to alleviate any sanitary concerns with the hose in the tub. It might be as simple as a garbage bag inside of a mesh laundry bag - but will looking. 

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Thanks @jkjenn.  I think I'm going to go with the side mount.  I don't prefer the look but I really do need the jack-e-up for my bike.  It's also a cheap way to try it before investing in the roof rack - either for the jeep or the tab.  

FYI...teraflex makes a new hinged carrier for those of us with larger tires that doesn't necessitate a change in bumpers and the associated expense.  I've not upgraded yet but plan to.  It'll easily handle the bike, bike rack, and tire.  Only gotcha is the additional jeep mods like rack, jerry cans, etc are expensive.  
    Mabel is my great grandmother that I never knew.  She took her 3 sons (ages 8-2) on an epic adventure from Alabama to Florida in the 1930's in the back of a pick up truck.  I named my female English springer spaniel after my mother.  Might as well go for broke with the brownie points in Heaven!   
  • Options
    HopsHops Member Posts: 48
    edited July 2021
    I went with a converter for my T@b wheel so my Tow Vehicle spare fits the T@b. My story at this thread: https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/84357#Comment_84357
    Hops and Cascade
    2017 T@B 320 Max S
    2014 Ford Escape 2.0 EcoBoost
  • Options
    JTrock59JTrock59 Member Posts: 2
    @texasaubiefan where did you find a side mount & where on the side can you mount the spare?  (very new to my T@b320 boondock, please excuse if this is a no brainer).  I also have thought about mounting on the rear with some form of rack but don't know where or how that would work from a structural perspective.  
    Anyone else with insights on a rear or side mount, please jump in.  I have the box & platform on the front, but am in the process of adding an enclosure for my little generator and planned to put other small accessories, hose etc in there so the weight is growing on the tongue.  
    2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
    2021 T@b 320 Boondock
  • Options
    HopsHops Member Posts: 48
    edited July 2021
    @JTrock59 have you thought of putting it under the seats in the back? Depending on how full that is you can carry a spare there.  Have you checked to see if your vehicle spare will fit the T@b?  Another idea is to have a conversion for the vehicle spare to fit. (I did that - https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/84357#Comment_84357
    Hops and Cascade
    2017 T@B 320 Max S
    2014 Ford Escape 2.0 EcoBoost
  • Options
    JTrock59JTrock59 Member Posts: 2
    Hops said:
    @JTrock59 have you thought of putting it under the seats in the back? Depending on how full that is you can carry a spare there.  Have you checked to see if your vehicle spare will fit the T@b?  Another idea is to have a conversion for the vehicle spare to fit. (I did that - https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/84357#Comment_84357)
    In my 2021 T@b 320 Boondock there is NOT that much room under the seats in the back.  We can squeeze in a blanket and that is about it.  My only complaint so far about this unit is there is very, very little storage.  My tire came loose sitting on the floor of the trailer...no mount anywhere for it that I can find.  Thus I am trying to figure out an option that doesn't require me to carry it in my tow vehicle or leave it home.  My vehicle tires are much larger so I think that a conversion like that would be more costly than another solution to carry the trailer spare.  THANK YOU for your response, it is appreciated.  
    2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
    2021 T@b 320 Boondock
  • Options
    Just a simple side mount on the frame. It was the Tow Tuff TTF-0345TC off Amazon.