Options

Fantastic Fan Vent Opening Knob - Ouch

Has anyone found a smaller knob, or done any modification to make this knob more flush to the fan?  It's the most common place I've skinned my head,  and it really doesn't need to be that big of a knob.  If I lived in there full time,  I'd probably have the muscle memory to miss it,  but seems like I at least graze it once a trip.

I took the knob off, hoping I could fashion a smaller one, but it's integrated into the unit with a metal sleeve and the screw goes the entire length. 
2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited April 2017

I agree and have wondered the same thing. It really hurts!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    db_cooper & jkjenn, Wow, I'm tall, and haven't hit it yet..... Only thought I have right now would be a bright colored tennis ball with a slit cut in it to cover it and soften the blow & make 'ya more aware of it. Let's ask the mod gurus....dalehelman, any ideas, Pop-T@B..?
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I've never done that either.......;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    My dad always told me being short would be rewarded - You bend down more than you reach up and you don't have to worry about pesky knobs :-)
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 937
    edited April 2017
    How about a vinyl cap like those used to protect pipe fittings before installation?   The right size would just slip on the outside surface of the handle and not really interfere with operation.

These are about 1-1/2 to 2 inches in diameter and 3/4 deep soft vinyl.

The 2" one fits my MaxFan pretty well.

• Options
    Almost every day. It seems to hit right at that softer, more vulnerable part of the head, too.

The rubber caps wouldn't do it - needs to be thicker. I thought about using a thick batch of Sugru to make a ball around it but I am not sure that would do it. I also thought about one of Rocky's mini tennis balls. 

I doubt Fantastic Fan ever envisioned their product would go someplace with such low clearance. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    hymiehymie Member Posts: 150
    Have you looked at the McMaster Carr catalogue? They have every profile / size ever made. 
    James & Jacquie     Almonte, Ontario
    2016 Jeep Cherokee & 2017 T@B Outback
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    @jkjenn,
    Soft head?
    Eh?  :open_mouth:

(I guess yours just hasn't hardened up enough over the years, and developed calluses, from hitting your head too much.)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Yup and 2 concussions....one that gave me headaches for a year. :(

• Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    I also lack the stringy protein scalp protector, so every bump shows. ☺

• Options
    I think JKJenn and myself probably hit the knob more than tall folks because we're just tall enough to hit that thing but not used to having to worry about it anywhere else.

I may have my tinkering neighbor give it a go, he just got a 3d printer. :)

• Options
    Problem solved, at least for me.  I removed the knob and screw.  You can just put the knob back sans screw, and adjust fan.  Remove knob and store someplace.  With the Outback cargo nets, I'll just throw it up there in a corner.   Cheapest mod to date. :)

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    LOL db!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options

db_cooper said:

Problem solved, at least for me.  I removed the knob and screw.  You can just put the knob back sans screw, and adjust fan.  Remove knob and store someplace.  With the Outback cargo nets, I'll just throw it up there in a corner.   Cheapest mod to date. :)

Perfect, thanks. I have the remote so don't use that black handle, anyway.

• Options
    NewfisherNewfisher Member Posts: 105
    Tennis ball? Like what Dad used to put on the trailer hitch to keep it from getting grease on his pant leg.
  • Options
    1 inch of Velcro to secure knob on cargo shelf = .05 c
    Not bumping head on knob = Priceless