Options

Better means of storing the longer stabilizer hand crank bar???

I'm curious what others do with the longer stabilizer hand crank bar?   Have any of you come up with a viable and safe mod for storing the bar outside the trailer?  I have contemplated this one for a short while and it would be nice to find a convenient place or means of storing the longer stabilizer hand crank rod either on the trailer frame or possibly in a tube.  My biggest fear of course would be having it come off while traveling down the interstate and after leaving it home (via my haste to hit the road) on a recent over night trip to Northern Michigan this is something I need to resolve soon.   I normally just slide it into the bed of the pickup, but sprayed the bed out after the Arizona trip and forgot to take it with me....   Grrrr!   :s 

Any thoughts or suggestions for a better means of storing the bar?   
Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    It stays in my pickup, Mike. Someone was saying that there is a slot cut into the rear underbed storage so maybe you can slide it under the Alde fins in the passenger bench seat and then into the underbed storage. I need to check that one out. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I've always considered that area as "sacred ground" and stayed out of there to avoid damaging the fins, etc.  But maybe the under-bed storage area could be a possibility and a rack could be devised there to allow for the bar?  
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    I've been thinking about this, too. What about velcro strapping it to the wall behind the passenger side cushion where the seat meets the wall? While it does fit under you have to have the right spot clear to slide it all the way back from the door hatch. When I've got other supplies there it doesn't slide in easily. Might be my first mod!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    edited April 2017
    i don't know if this works for everyone but I have a storage box I put in the bed of the pickup that I got from Lowes. It's low enough profile that it fits under the tonneau cover. I keep all the external things there like water hook up, chocks, electrical cord, trash bags, extra paper towels -everything except the sewer hose and hookups. The stabilizer jack fits perfectly in that box and I'm faithful to put everything back in it when I'm not using it. It works for us.
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    I store mine inside the Xterra right at the edge of the rear storage.  I wrapped it in Velcro in a couple places, and put some Velcro on my Weathertech mat.  The handle follows the curve of the mat really well,  I got lucky.  No matter how full I have the back of the Xterra, I can always get to it.  I probably have the record of most Velcro on my T@b and accessories. :blush:   I've got the Jensen remote velcro'd to the wall, and now the Fantastic Fan handle velcro'd to a shelf.  I think it belongs in my bag next to the duct tape, WD40,  and bailing wire.  Oxford comma for JKJenn. :)
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    texasaubiefantexasaubiefan Member Posts: 62
    I had thought about drilling a small hole between the two passenger storage compartments so that it would fit up snug against the framing or wall with a little protrusion into the other compartment.   But I decided to buy another one (not as long) and use it in my drill.  It fits easily in the passenger compartment above the wheel.  The only downside I've seen thus far is reaching the back stabilizers is a little more challenging but given the convenience and speed - it's worth a tryout this year.  
    2017 T@B 320-S, Sofitel (M@bel)
    Mabel is my great grandmother that I never knew.  She took her 3 sons (ages 8-2) on an epic adventure from Alabama to Florida in the 1930's in the back of a pick up truck.  I named my female English springer spaniel after my mother.  Might as well go for broke with the brownie points in Heaven!   
    TV: 2018 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew 
    David & Jill, Houston, TX
  • Options
    drpprmtdrpprmt Member Posts: 117
    I put mine crosswise on the tongue, diagonal in front of the propane storage box.  I hold it with 2 bungees.  A bit scary.  I hope someone has a better way.
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    In the CS it's stored just inside the door under the passenger side bench.  The Alde's fins are framed inside a wood box with room on the bottom to insert the shaft of the crank into.

I don't store it outside on the T@B because I use the stabilizers as a security measure.  :D
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options

I don't store it outside on the T@B because I use the stabilizers as a security measure.  :D

Agree, this is why mine is under lock and key!  
  • Options
    VikingsVikings Member Posts: 147
    Box with locking lid large enough for crank, which is seen tucked away on back wall in bottom photo, solved many storage issues including show power cord, water hose, shovel, ax, etc., etc.  

Kim & Mary Kay,  2016 CS-S,  Spokane, WA

Map of Provinces I Visited

• Options
    SubismSubism Member Posts: 38
    Or, you could just get rid of it. I got a small rechargeable drill/driver with two 12" long 1/4" drive extensions and a socket that I cut slots into to fit over the pins on the stabilizer screw. Much quicker to deploy the stabilizers and stores in far less space.
    Marc and Angie in Burlington, NC. 2018 Ford F150 FX4 3.5L Ecoboost, 2016 320 S Max
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,650
    When you say "small" what size battery does the drill/driver use?
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    @Michigan_Mike  there's a gal in this post that says she puts it under the the passenger side storage area above the Alde fins... says she locked it in there somehow... in her picture it looks pretty precarious but I think you could create a little snap or clip that you could drop that into from the top

https://m.facebook.com/groups/87969923985?view=permalink&id=10156080928613986
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    TabsterTabster Member Posts: 118
    I keep mine right inside the door under the seat compartment. Same as wizard1880
    2015 CS. Ford f150 v8. Southern california
  • Options
    I've pondered the battery operated drill route, but that's something additional to get out.  I do carry one with me but the crank handle really takes minimal time/energy.  The Alde fin area might work and I will look at that bench area next to the door or possibly beneath the slat area as that could be a possibility with an opening drilled on the face of the rear bench to stick the bar end through.  I'd much more prefer to keep it clean looking however and I have so much gear beneath the bench next to the door that it might prohibit me from placing it anywhere but in the Alde fin area.  Some great ideas above and I appreciate your contributions!  

This is the lady from Facebook who shared her storage idea and with some hangar brackets this could work.  

• Options
    lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    I store mine with the fins.  But opposite to the photo.  I put the long length on the floor under the the fins and the handle sticks up.  Very out of the way and hasn't done any damage after our first year of camping.
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

I store mine with the fins.  But opposite to the photo.  I put the long length on the floor under the the fins and the handle sticks up.  Very out of the way and hasn't done any damage after our first year of camping.

This is where I carry mine, also. I have it as a back-up because I now primarily use the drill. I love how fast it goes with the drill.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @jkjenn, Yes, agree with the drill....zippity-do-da & you're done! Love it!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Me_and_My_DogMe_and_My_Dog Member Posts: 184
    I have the drill/driver but trying to figure out the extensions. Guys at Home Depot had no idea what I was talking about.

Katt and Miss Cannoli the Zen Dog
    2008 DM T@DA — Towed by 2014 Dodge Durango — Full time since 6/29/17
    "Travels With The Tiny"
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770

jkjenn said:

This is where I carry mine, also. I have it as a back-up because I now primarily use the drill. I love how fast it goes with the drill.

Ditto. It's never been a problem, plus I never used it. Hand crank? Pffft. I have better ways to injure my back and other body parts (um... that last one *did* involve the drill, however).
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Mike, I'm going to try this for a while. I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon as it is wedged in well. I might put some rubber non-skid matting underneath to protect the wood, though.

Displaying IMG_3706JPG

Displaying IMG_3705JPG
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    drpprmtdrpprmt Member Posts: 117
    I tried drilling a hole in the storage cabinet in the back.  Worked great, or so I thought.  Unfortunately we store our pillows in that back cabinet.  When my wife pulled the pillows out, one (hers) had a big dirty streak.  So much for that mod!
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Homebodyatheart, Your pictures don't show up....not sure why.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Eric, that's odd because I can see them just fine. Can anyone else see them?
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    No, @Homebodyatheart, they are not visible, nor "normal". "Displaying IMG_3706JPG" is what it says for the first one. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited April 2017
    Eric, that's odd because I can see them just fine. Can anyone else see them?

It appears the images were not actually uploaded to the forum.
    When you hover over one of the entries (ex.Displaying IMG_3706.JPG) the url points to a Google Gmail location.
    That means the images are attached to an email and not files uploaded to the forum.
    You can see them because you have access to that email.
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Thanks both of you! That means my next post is probably the same way. Back to the drawing board!

Tried something new. Do they show now?

• Options
    Nothing shows but your text in the above posting.   
  • Options

Vikings said:

Box with locking lid large enough for crank, which is seen tucked away on back wall in bottom photo, solved many storage issues including show power cord, water hose, shovel, ax, etc., etc.  

Where did you find the holders shown in the aluminum tub for the crank handle?  
  • Options
    VikingsVikings Member Posts: 147
    Mike, mounting clamps are Quick Fist brand.  I got 8 clamp kit from Amazon....more than I needed.  
    I see they are available at Cabela's and Northern Tool...so you might be able to actually inspect them before buying.  Other mail order sites also have them.   Good luck.
    Kim & Mary Kay,  2016 CS-S,  Spokane, WA

Map of Provinces I Visited