Options

Better means of storing the longer stabilizer hand crank bar???

2»

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

Vikings said:

Mike, mounting clamps are Quick Fist brand.  I got 8 clamp kit from Amazon....more than I needed.  
    I see they are available at Cabela's and Northern Tool...so you might be able to actually inspect them before buying.  Other mail order sites also have them.   Good luck.

The Quick Fist is the perfect solution for my solar cable. Why didn't I think of that? I even have a couple around the house that can be repurposed. :)

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,509
    What size quick fist?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    SubismSubism Member Posts: 38
    pthomas745: I have a 12V Bosch driver similar to the one Me_and_my_dog posted a picture of above, but just not an impact.

@Me_and_My_Dog: I got my extensions at Lowes, though Home Depot should have them also. They are DeWalt extensions made specifically for drills.

Extension: http://www.dewalt.com/en-us/products/accessories/fastening-and-screwdriving-bits/sets/12-rapid-load-with-screwlock/dwa2509-12ir

You'll also need a socket adapter: http://www.dewalt.com/en-us/products/accessories/fastening-and-screwdriving-bits/sockets-and-adapters/socket-adapters

Marc and Angie in Burlington, NC. 2018 Ford F150 FX4 3.5L Ecoboost, 2016 320 S Max
  • Options
    VikingsVikings Member Posts: 147
    Sam,
    Quick Fist sizes in kit I obtained include:
    5/8 inch to 1 3/8 inch
    1 inch to 2.25 inch
    2.5 inch to 9.5 inch
    Stabilizer crank took smallest size...actually could have been smaller.   Shovel, yellow shaft on right in photo, required medium size.  
    Kim & Mary Kay,  2016 CS-S,  Spokane, WA

Map of Provinces I Visited

• Options
    Thanks Viking.  Amazon, here I come.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861

Vikings said:

Mike, mounting clamps are Quick Fist brand.  I got 8 clamp kit from Amazon....more than I needed.  
    I see they are available at Cabela's and Northern Tool...so you might be able to actually inspect them before buying.  Other mail order sites also have them.   Good luck.

Thank you!  I'm heading down to the factory today and will pick their brains, but I do like the clamps and will look at them too.  I appreciate everyone's input and suggested to the factory that they look at and consider alternatives for the stabilizer crank handle.  I'll get to the bottom of this eventually!   =)
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    EmyEmy Member Posts: 24
    Is there a longer (newer than 2015) crank handle?  
    emily . northern ohio . 2015 320s . jeep wrangler
  • Options
    Me_and_My_DogMe_and_My_Dog Member Posts: 184

Subism said:

@pthomas745: I have a 12V Bosch driver similar to the one Me_and_my_dog posted a picture of above, but just not an impact.

@Me_and_My_Dog: I got my extensions at Lowes, though Home Depot should have them also. They are DeWalt extensions made specifically for drills.

Extension: http://www.dewalt.com/en-us/products/accessories/fastening-and-screwdriving-bits/sets/12-rapid-load-with-screwlock/dwa2509-12ir

You'll also need a socket adapter: http://www.dewalt.com/en-us/products/accessories/fastening-and-screwdriving-bits/sockets-and-adapters/socket-adapters

Subism, I'm glad you mentioned that you use a 12V Bosch driver. The one I posted is 10.8V and I quite like it. But my husband the tool nut insists that I need an 18V driver, which is considerably heavier to pack. I have not tried either of these on the stabilizer jacks. Do you find the 12V has enough power for the task, or does it struggle?

Katt and Miss Cannoli the Zen Dog
    2008 DM T@DA — Towed by 2014 Dodge Durango — Full time since 6/29/17
    "Travels With The Tiny"
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    Emy I heard about them on this forum and had my dealer ask the factory to change to the longer one before they delivered it. It makes a difference reaching the back two stabilizers for us. There was no extra charge that I know of.
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726

Emy said:

Is there a longer (newer than 2015) crank handle?  

Yes, our 2015 Outback came with a short crank. I know because the previous owner cut and welded a longer shaft in the middle.  Much easier to reach under the Outback.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    CCPICCCCPICC Member Posts: 43
    i use a drill with an 18 inch extension and a socket that I bought at Sears. I drop the levelers in under a minute onto 4 6x6 blocks that I keep under the from seat storage compartment. No cranking for me!!
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

CCPICC said:

i use a drill with an 18 inch extension and a socket that I bought at Sears. I drop the levelers in under a minute onto 4 6x6 blocks that I keep under the from seat storage compartment. No cranking for me!!

Yes, the Dutchman (DM) T@B's take a socket, but the nuCamp/Pleasant Valley T@B's take a slotted end on the stabilizer hand crank. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    I keep mine behind the back cushion on the passenger side. Fits perfectly there and easy to get to from the door. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    So, yesterday John placed two 5/8 inch Quick Fists to hold the crank handle.  He placed them high on the wood outside of the radiator fins.  When we attempted to place the handle, we could not see the Fist Grips and they do not hold it as tight as I would like.  Back to the drawing board.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    edited May 2017
    @Verna, Just an FYI, you can get the slotted socket to use with a drill at Amazon for the newer style stabilizers. It's under ULTRA-FAB PRODUCTS  #48-979071   It's called Ultra T- SLOT Drill Attachment For Scissor Jack
    When you use it with the drill, just make sure you slide the 'slot' all the way on so as not to damage either the socket itself, or the 'nubs' on the stabilizer! ;)  
    Zippity-do-da-done! =)
    I still have the crank handle handy though. :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

ericnliz said:

@Verna, Just an FYI, you can get the slotted socket to use with a drill at Amazon for the newer style stabilizers. It's under ULTRA-FAB PRODUCTS  #48-979071   It's called Ultra T- SLOT Drill Attachment For Scissor Jack
    When you use it with the drill, just make sure you slide the 'slot' all the way on so as not to damage either the socket itself, or the 'nubs' on the stabilizer! ;)  
    Zippity-do-da-done! =)
    I still have the crank handle handy though. :)

I have two of them, one in the underbench cabinet still in the package and one with the drill bag. Sometimes I just feel like I need more exercise so I use the newer long extension ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    edited May 2017
    @Verna, I haven't used my crank handle since I got the socket. Gotta get the Pit Barrel fired up, 'ya know! =) It's all about the 'slow & low' cookin'. I'd much rather be either fishin', cookin', or hangin' out than crankin' on that silly handle. But that's just ME!  :)
    ( Been thinkin' about how to 'adapt' the crank handle in to the Pit Barrel for a rotisserie though!) B)   
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    dinzzydinzzy Member Posts: 180
    Like what was just stated I got my slotted tool from Amazon, put it in my drill/driver I purchased from Harbor Freight.  No need for extensions.  Works like a dream.  The crank is stored in the storage box just in case.  The alde has a wood partion from the factory.  No worries of damage.
    Tow with a 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport, 2016 T@B CS-S Max

• Options
    texasaubiefantexasaubiefan Member Posts: 62
    I spent $20 and got a spare that I immediately cut off and mounted to my drill.  The drill in my spares kit.  As a backup I carry the original in the cargo area passenger side back.   Can't be happier.  I'm a lazy guy.  Besides the drill comes in handy hanging clothes lines, etc.  
    2017 T@B 320-S, Sofitel (M@bel)
    Mabel is my great grandmother that I never knew.  She took her 3 sons (ages 8-2) on an epic adventure from Alabama to Florida in the 1930's in the back of a pick up truck.  I named my female English springer spaniel after my mother.  Might as well go for broke with the brownie points in Heaven!   
    TV: 2018 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew 
    David & Jill, Houston, TX
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    I liked the idea of storing the crank in the battery/propane compartment.  I decided however to go an easier route and use the hose storage compartment.  I used that hose once and went with a better one, which I store in the trailer tongue, inside the the handy dandy containment mod.  I bought one of those foam tubes at the dollar store that kids hit each other with. (really?). It might not be pretty, but it's in a handy spot.

Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    Terry,  that is a convenient place, but it makes it easier for someone to raise your stabilizers and depart with your TaB.
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited May 2017
    Well, if they want to deal with the two wheel locks, the ball hitch lock ( which can be broken of course, and take up the bal leveler, they want my camper indeed.  I'm sure they could deal with stabilizers.  Also, I think the camper door is not really secure to determined people.   Also, I usually run a chain lock attaching my cooler to a camper handle.  That will be bouncing along as well.
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744

TerryV6 said:

Well, if they want to deal with the two wheel locks, the ball hitch lock ( which can be broken of course, and take up the bal leveler, they want my camper indeed.  I'm sure they could deal with stabilizers.  Also, I think the camper door is not really secure to determined people.   Also, I usually run a chain lock attaching my cooler to a camper handle.  That will be bouncing along as well.

Not sure what to think about that? pointing out the number of ways we can secure our Tabs or the numerous vulnerabilities there are? regardless....we'll just make it as hard on them as possible to take it. I figure if the want it bad enough, doesn't much matter what I've done.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    Terry that was quite the visual!
  • Options
    creamsiclecreamsicle Member Posts: 18
    Where did you get the locking aluminum tub?
  • Options
    BirdieJaneBirdieJane Member Posts: 237
    edited June 2017
    We got a 1" light pvc cut it to the length of the Handel, and mounted it on the floor in the compartment left of the door.  Slide the far end under the Alde hose into the rear compartment. Leave room so you can remove the handel from the cabinet lip.
    2017 T@B Outback white w black trim / 2019 Subaru Ascent White with black trim / Birch Bay WA.
    aka BirdieJane towed by Quinn
  • Options
    2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 911
    wizard1880 and @Tabster - We store ours the same way.  We all have CS models... not sure the other models can do this.
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• Options
    We cut a pool noodle the length of the handle and closed one end with a tight zip tie.  Store it under the passenger side bench.  The noodle keeps me from abrading the floor under the bench.

• Options
    RuntarootiRuntarooti Member Posts: 76
    I have a CS and I do what the other CS'ers are doing. Perfect fit inside the passenger bench door in front of fins but not touching them due to the shape.
    2015 T@B Max CS-S Silver and Black
    Goes where it's towed to by 2017 Subaru Outback