Options

First trip plans - advice needed

Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,507
We are 10 days away from picking up our new T@B from the dealer.  We have reservations for 3 nights at a State park that is 45 minutes from the dealer - just in case we need - ah, ahem - assistance!  Really, just in case we need a bail out!  Anyway, there were no full service camp grounds in the area, so we will have electric, a dump station, and water spigots located at various places in the park.  I think the dealer will de-winterize.  I know we will need to sanitize.  So, is sanitizing doable under these conditions?  Should I add the bleach mixture to the fresh water tank before we leave the dealer?  Does the factory add antifreeze to the fresh water tank?  I think we can at least get close to a spigot to fill the fresh water tank.  We are bringing our portable gray tank to shuttle rinse water as needed.  What do you think?

Sharon

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @SAM, it's a weekend so the factory is closed. If you call the warranty department Monday morning, they can tell you exactly how they winterized your T@B. (Be sure to tell us so we can document it, please.) 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    I will call Monday.
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    SAM I think a shorter drive is a smart thing, especially if it your first towing experience. When we picked ours up a week ago we drove back and forth on a semi deserted street by the dealers till I had a feel for it, then I drove an arterial home, not brave enough that day for the freeway. By the time we got her home and got her in the t@bitat we were exhausted and called out for pizza delivery. I've read others who all advised to go shorter distances at first till you get the hang of things. For us this makes sense. Good luck and have fun with it!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Thanks.  The 45 minute drive will be followed by another hour drive south, then a 4 hour drive home!  We will have the park practically to ourselves, so plenty of space to practice.  I am more concerned about what to do about the fresh water tank.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,442
    Anything is "doable" depending on how much time/effort/money you want to throw at it. Personally I'd stick to drinking bottled water (or other bottled beverages--ha ha) for those three days, and save the sanitizing hassles for when I got home.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    What @ScottG said!  Sanitizing would really be a hassle in the conditions you describe, in my humble opinion :)
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Options
    marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    have you asked the dealer to sanitize it prior to pick up? Mine did even without my asking and filled the fresh water tank. 
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited April 2017
    boo said:

Add a cup of bleach to the fresh water tank, preferably full of water.

There are a bunch of sanitize and dewinterize threads regarding the proper ratio with a wide range of opinions. ;)
    2017 T@B manual instructions say -- mix 1/4 cup bleach with one gallon of water to dilute the bleach (important step), pour that mixture into the tank, then fill the tank with water. Then complete all the other steps.
    That means 2 oz of bleach per 11 gallons of water. 1/4 cup = 2 oz = 4 tablespoons = 12 teaspoons.
    @chanw posted this site for reference:  http://www.sanidumps.com/sanitizervfreshwatersystem.php
    The chart there indicates a bit more than 1/4 cup per 11 gallons meets requirements for sanitizing.
    Make sure to dilute the bleach before adding to tank then top off the tank. Also bypass the Alde during the process.
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    I plan on using bottled water for drinking and cooking.  I will ask the dealer to sanitize it - didn't think of that!  Just in case we end up doing it ourselves (I know, it won't be ideal conditions),  would it still be important to sanitize if we only use it to shower?
  • Options
    @SAM, while the pink stuff isn't really antifreeze, do you really want it on your skin in a shower if the pink stuff was used in the water tank?  If the pink stuff is in your water tank, be sure to read the posts here on how to rinse it out without it getting into the Alde's water heater, then sterilize the tank.  If they blew out the lines and only out the pink stuff in the drains you're good for shower but you really need to sterilize the tank. It's not hard. I do it a couple of times a year. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Thanks Verna.  I had to ask.  If we were taking the Tab directly home it would be a no brainer.  2 1/2 hours from the dealer and no full hook ups for our first tome out has made me rethink the process.  I hope the dealer will handle this for our first trip!
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Glycol is sorta sticky too. Kinda like liquid jello. I don't think I'd like to bathe in it. It foams too! Fortunately, I have a by pass for the pump and the water tank built in. Just have to use a sanitizer without nasty bleach or smelling like a salad.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Do a search for vinegar. Photomom told me I could use vinegar since I'm allergic to chlorine. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna, I think Mandy Lea has a vlog about using vodka to winterize because the weather turned and it was all she had. De-winterizing could take on a whole new life of it's own!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Verna, I remember that discussion about the vinegar.  A good idea.  Laundry or salad?
  • Options
    What kind do YOU want in your fresh water tank?!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    I think whatever the dealer wants =)
  • Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    As I understand it (?) --and I have yet to try this-- bleach is best for actual sanitizing, but white vinegar works well afterward to rid the system of the chlorine taste/smell. (The lingering chlorine smell/taste is awful; that much I can verify.)
  • Options
    CCPICCCCPICC Member Posts: 43
    first time out don't use the water or bathroom, the state parks have decent facilities and you can just get used to setting up and working all the gagets and lights and heat or air in the camper. Go slow first time out when you get home do all the sanitation work where you have plenty of water and time to do it right.

• Options
    Thanks for the advice.  The state park we are going to camp at has Porta Potties and no shower houses, so we plan to use the fresh water tank.  We have a plan that involves sanitizing as we depart the dealer.  Will let you know how it all turns out.
  • Options
    An alternative for the toilet is to put one 13 gallon plastic trash bag inside a second one with 2 cups kitty litter in the inner bag. Fold the bags over the stool(seat up) lower the seat to hold it in place. Absorbs urine well, and you will need to change it out after adding "solids" according to the person who told us about this. You can also buy more expensive commercial bags that do the same thing, Double Doodie bags and Amazon has them for camping potty set ups. Anyway, it's another option.
  • Options
    Thanks Homebodyatheart. I have read about the kitty litter trick - very smart.  My DH is more than a little phobic about sleeping next to a toilet, so we are taking baby steps with the plumbing