Options

Yet Another Exterior Lagun Discussion

Our T@B came with the Lagun table. We cook and eat outdoors and only use it indoors occasionally to play backgammon or cards when the weather is inclement. Since we sleep in twin bed configuration it is mostly in the way at night.

Because we cook outdoors we use a "camp kitchen" similar in concept to the photo. It is a pain to set up and takes up lots of room in the SUV and makes annoying rattling noises.

I am thinking of installing the exterior Lagun table mount so I can use the Lagun table instead of the "camp kitchen." Questions:

1. How does the underside of the table hold up in damp, humid conditions? It looks like some kind of pressed board. Should I coat the underside with some Spar varnish?

2. What are some ideas for adding storage since I wouldn't have the shelf underneath or the rack with hooks in the back? I keep the pots and pans, cooking utensils, a small bin with cooking spray, salt & pepper, spices, etc there all the time we're camping.
John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York

Comments

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Photomom, Do you plan on using a camp stove on the table? I think my concern would be how much weight the Lagun table could handle, and any heat generated from the camp stove that close to the side of the trailer. Just a thought.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    edited April 2017

ericnliz said:

@Photomom, Do you plan on using a camp stove on the table? I think my concern would be how much weight the Lagun table could handle, and any heat generated from the camp stove that close to the side of the trailer. Just a thought.

I have a folding stove stand for my 2 burner Coleman propane stove and would continue to use that. And the portable grill goes on the picnic table or ground. 

We occasionally use a single burner butane stove (the kind you see at buffets) and I just scored one of the electric Cuisinart tabletop ovens that RVers rave about. The latter does put out a lot of heat. I would put the wooden T@B cutting board under those to insulate the Lagun table.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Photomom said:

ericnliz said:

I have a folding stove stand for my 2 burner Coleman propane stove and would continue to use that. And the portable grill goes on the picnic table or ground. 

We occasionally use a single burner butane stove (the kind you see at buffets) and I just scored one of the electric Cuisinart tabletop ovens that RVers rave about. The latter does put out a lot of heat. I would put the wooden T@B cutting board under those to insulate the Lagun table.

Come to think of it, I could easily use the T@B cutting board on top of the stove stand and put the butane stove or Cuisinart oven on that. Then the Lagun could just be used for food prep. So back to my original questions - humidity and storage.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Photomom, Sounds like you have a plan! We also have an outdoor kitchen. Ours is a Cabellas brand, and has two bags that store all our pots/pans, and dry food goods. The bags we put on the floor of the trailer while en-route, the rest of the kitchen folds up neatly into a carrying bag, and even houses our two burner Coleman stove. it takes MAYBE 5 minutes to set up, and have used it for about 7-8 years....love it, but 'ya know what they say...different strokes for different folks. What works for one, might not for another. :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    edited April 2017

ericnliz said:

@Photomom, Sounds like you have a plan! We also have an outdoor kitchen. Ours is a Cabellas brand, and has two bags that store all our pots/pans, and dry food goods. The bags we put on the floor of the trailer while en-route, the rest of the kitchen folds up neatly into a carrying bag, and even houses our two burner Coleman stove. it takes MAYBE 5 minutes to set up, and have used it for about 7-8 years....love it, but 'ya know what they say...different strokes for different folks. What works for one, might not for another. :)

We could keep using ours, but for the Lagun. Need to find a way to make it useful or pitch it out. Just in the way inside. Also looking to downsize and simplify the stuff we take and have to set up.

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    When I had my 5 wide reverse TD, I took a relatively flat piece of board that was in the basement, polyurethaned it and put a patrick hinge on it. Lift it up and it comes off the hinge. It held the coleman stove fine (one burner plus griddle or grill). Caveat, the board was also slightly resting on the decorative fender (you know, the ones that say "Don't step here"). The hinge was in an aluminum stud too and heavily caulked. I was afraid of too much forward weight of the grill plus food. All of that was probably overkill, but it never, ever moved when the food, stove and griddle were on it (including the 1 lb bottle of propane). It was nice to have outside. When packing up, I just tossed the board inside the teardrop. Stove went in kitchen box.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    drpprmtdrpprmt Member Posts: 117
    I am not sure if we have the "lagun" table or not.  We have a new 2017 that has the slide in post and the table on a swivel arm.  We are also looking at the possibility of using this table outside when weather permits.  Is there an "official" outside mount or has someone gotten creative. 
  • Options

drpprmt said:

I am not sure if we have the "lagun" table or not.  We have a new 2017 that has the slide in post and the table on a swivel arm.  We are also looking at the possibility of using this table outside when weather permits.  Is there an "official" outside mount or has someone gotten creative. 

That is the Lagun table. Elsie has the exterior mount and spacer. Neighborhood of $100, so we want to make sure it will work for us before buying it.
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @Photomom, we used the exterior lagun mount many weeks last year. During torrential downpours in the southwest to below freezing temps in Montana in the months of July and August. The table held up well. I sewed a vinyl cover which handled spills, sun, and light rain. When it was going to rain for days on end I added the protection of a 30 gal garbage bag. Uncovered, my table looks new. No swelling of the pressed board type material. Here is a pic of the table with a vinyl cover and another with the garbage bag on. The table is holding a microwave. It holds the weight fine. I also have a 2017 t@b max s and took delivery May 14, 2016. When installed in the location you see on our t@b, it is screwed into interior 2 x 4 bench braces. If you need to know anything else, plz just ask. 
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289

Photomom said:

Photomom said:

ericnliz said:

Come to think of it, I could easily use the T@B cutting board on top of the stove stand and put the butane stove or Cuisinart oven on that. Then the Lagun could just be used for food prep. So back to my original questions - humidity and storage.

@Photomom What do you consider a 'good' price for the Cuisinart oven?

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
    Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options

dmerzbac said:

Photomom said:

Photomom said:

ericnliz said:

@Photomom What do you consider a 'good' price for the Cuisinart oven?

Overstock had refurbished ones for around $52 and Amazon had refurbs for around $59. I bought two and both are perfect. No idea if they still have them.  If you find them on Overstock look for a coupon.

When I first heard of these some dude was asking $250 on Amazon marketplace. Last time I checked there were some at $200. Original list price was $100. 

• Options
    edited April 2017
    @Photomom Thanks! Was able to order one of the refurbished ones at Amazon.

Update: Actually, I ordered two!

Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    Photomom here is what I do, as I love cooking outside. I'm on my maiden voyage this weekend and loving it! The table folds up to 2'x 2' so up it is 2x4 set up. 

2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Mariner459Mariner459 Member Posts: 146
    edited May 2017
    1.  We are Spar varnishing underside of ours.  If it does not hold up, we are going to try the bamboo cutting board tabletop trick... I think maybe it was Verna who designed that.

And we will put a silicon baking sheet under our 2 qt Cosori being vigilant to avoid any heat to get near table or also exterior Azdel wall of T@b. Saw someone put a heat deflector around crock pot to protect camper wall from heat and food. Ours stays cool enough pushed away from wall.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Bamboo is by someone else. Mine will be cherry with some veneer inlays. But thanks for thinking of me ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    @Mariner459, I added the bamboo cutting board top. Somewhere way back there is another thread on this and some have bought a board and varnished it, some had done custom made, One guy made a top with fold under extensions. It was neat! I wanted wood, quick and easy for now.  
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options

dmerzbac said:

@Photomom Thanks! Was able to order one of the refurbished ones at Amazon.

Update: Actually, I ordered two!

I used my first one at home a few times in my home kitchen a few times to check it out and work out some camping recipes. Liked it so much I ordered a second one for home use. 
  • Options
    drpprmtdrpprmt Member Posts: 117
    I just purchased the outside mount mod.  Any hints for successful installation?
  • Options
    Measure four times, drill once ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,512
    What model?  We have a 2017 CSS - here is a picture of the mount from the inside behind the passenger wheel well.  Not sure, but we think there is an aluminum framing member in that area.  Dealer installed.  The nice thing is that the pedestal required no alteration to be able to drop it to dining height.

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    I have the cargo door on my T@b, so I will need to place the mount between the wheel well and the edge of the cargo door. I'll probably need to add some more reinforcing wood there so all screws will have somewhere to go.

Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    DouayHADouayHA Member Posts: 36
    We have the Laguna mount on the outside of our 2017 Outback. We had the dealer do the install before we picked it up. Couple notes, as others have pointed out the height is an issue. We have not done anything to deal with that yet; there just was not time before we left on our trip as the trailer was delivered late. 

The other problem we ran into is that it is not possible to put the table on the exterior mount while it is put together. It is necessary to remove the vertical arm from the horizontal so that the red trim underneath the window is not damaged. While not a huge deal, it is a bit of a hassle.
    2017 T@b Outback 'Little S@lty' towed by 2015 Toyota Tacoma.
  • Options
    RuntarootiRuntarooti Member Posts: 76
    This is a picture of the 2018 CSS from Wilmington RV that has the mount not sure if dealer or factory installed.
    The mount appeats to be about 1/2" away from the outlet. A little different than the mount on @SAM .

2015 T@B Max CS-S Silver and Black
    Goes where it's towed to by 2017 Subaru Outback
  • Options
    hymiehymie Member Posts: 150
    @Verna cherry WITH inlay??? Are you taking orders? I have trade items.... :)
    James & Jacquie     Almonte, Ontario
    2016 Jeep Cherokee & 2017 T@B Outback
  • Options

hymie said:

@Verna cherry WITH inlay??? Are you taking orders? I have trade items.... :)

I will design just it for me!  

I had a former co-worker whose son worked for an upscale lumber company who specialized in veneers. She gave me over 3 boxes filled with veneer scraps (to the business) that will last me a long time. I have domestic and exotic veneers, some of which I haven't identified the species.  And then there is the Mother of Pearl strips that were left over from a 5 million dollar yacht build from South Africa that were given to me by the head woodworker on the build. Those are hidden!  

I know you have trade items;) .  I may be a bit slow and not produce my mods at the same rate you produce your mods!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Alas, @hymie, you shall learn of the sacred saws that V can use wisely! Amazing scroll work on her back shelf. No such thing as a simple vent hole for her! My Dad does some basic woodworking, but V is well beyond Bob Villa. I'm more at Tim the Toolman's level (hides bandaid on finger).
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,512
    Runtarooti - we ordered our T@B to have the outside mount instead of the inside mount.  We were told by the dealer that the factory would not install it on the outside with a clamshell.  No further explanation, so not sure if the factory just did not get to it with the build or what???  Anyway, the dealer installed it without a problem.  We thought they would have needed to back it up with some wood, but, apparently not.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    @Ratkity I am already in awe of Vernas' scroll work! I have met a number of very talented woodworkers in my travels and am always struck by the patience and skill (and raw talent) that it takes to produce these things. Bob Villa is good but he also has every high end tool in the known universe!

@Verna Sounds amazing. What a treasure trove of veneer and inlay. Hmmm... maybe a little marquetry of a t@b somewhere??? I have been having tremendous fun doing mods this last two weeks (tis true!). That's what comes from doing serious lurking here in the period between ordering and receiving our t@b. Plus cabin fever :) Lots of fantastic contributors and solutions to be found in these hallowed halls. Good to get this all done now as we are just now into planting / spring cleaning etc.

I am almost embarrassed to admit that I also upgraded the Fantastic Fan to the 7350, added a MaxxAir cover, added a cut out switch to the Jensen and mounted an "action packer" type box to the outback platform. Oh yeah- I also modified the ends of my XL visor (where the pole pockets) by stitching a webbing loop on so I can stretch it to the handles ( ala @Nomad )
    :):):)

• Options
    Oh yeah...... And the a/c cover ver 1.0. Not entirely happy with this one- already planning 2.0.... 
  • Options
    @hymie what is 2.0 going to consist of? Adding a cover is on my " list."