Options

Hydro Flush question

mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
For those using the hydro flush - thinking I'm not using it right (even though the hose water pressure seems strong enough) because I let it "back flush" and think the tank is clean but then I followed that procedure up with going inside the bathroom and turning the hose on strong inside the toilet - and when I go back outside to release the valve, I see it was definitely not cleaned out with just the hydro flush. So what am I doing wrong? I'd rather not have to clean both ways (then why use the hydro flush?) --- any tips/tricks?

Oh, and I do fill toilet with at least 1-2 gal of water after each dump (understand water is a toilet's best friend)!  

And on a side note, when I dump and get to the grey water, I find that stinks way more than black. I've put grey water treatment in the sink (and the smell isn't IN the trailer - only when I dump) --- I've tried various grey water treatments so would appreciate any thoughts on this as well (I have a sink strainer and I always wipe dishes/pots/pans with paper towels beforehand).
Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

Comments

• Options
    larrygonlarrygon Member Posts: 255
    Bleach is always your friend for eliminating odors.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
    2015 T@B M@X S White with Grey trim | TV 2021 Ascent Touring | Flagstaff AZ.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770

larrygon said:

Bleach is always your friend for eliminating odors.

Unless you are allergic to it.. then it's sorta a frienemy.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Might try a tad bit of bleach..

I was still hoping someone uses the Hydroflush and could give advice on using it ---- ???

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    NewfisherNewfisher Member Posts: 105
    I tried HF on last rv and mostly a gimmick. Had better luck rinsing from inside with hose. A bag of ice in the toilet on the way home does wonders
  • Options
    Thank you Newfisher --- I wondered if I wasn't using it correctly.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I actually had good luck with mine until I changed to the single discharge. It's not at the right angle now to shoot into the black tank. I always kept the non-potable hose on top for the maximum force of spraying water into the black tank. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options

Verna said:

I actually had good luck with mine until I changed to the single discharge. It's not at the right angle now to shoot into the black tank. I always kept the non-potable hose on top for the maximum force of spraying water into the black tank. 

Verna - what's "the single discharge"? Your point, though, about the angle - perhaps that's what I need to look at and think I can hook it up so the hose is on top (will look at it again next time I dump).

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @mickietucs, it seems I can never remember the correct term:  
    http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/3453/single-black-and-gray-water-drain-setup#latest

Instead of separate "drain pipes" for black and gray, Dale changed mine to be a single drain pipe which is so very helpful. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options

Verna said:

@mickietucs, it seems I can never remember the correct term:  
    http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/3453/single-black-and-gray-water-drain-setup#latest

Instead of separate "drain pipes" for black and gray, Dale changed mine to be a single drain pipe which is so very helpful. 

Verna - Now I understand (and your terminology makes sense). I will attach the HF next time so the hose part is at the top and see if that helps at all. Thanks!

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

For those using the hydro flush - thinking I'm not using it right (even though the hose water pressure seems strong enough) because I let it "back flush" and think the tank is clean but then I followed that procedure up with going inside the bathroom and turning the hose on strong inside the toilet - and when I go back outside to release the valve, I see it was definitely not cleaned out with just the hydro flush. So what am I doing wrong? I'd rather not have to clean both ways (then why use the hydro flush?) --- any tips/tricks?

Oh, and I do fill toilet with at least 1-2 gal of water after each dump (understand water is a toilet's best friend)!  

And on a side note, when I dump and get to the grey water, I find that stinks way more than black. I've put grey water treatment in the sink (and the smell isn't IN the trailer - only when I dump) --- I've tried various grey water treatments so would appreciate any thoughts on this as well (I have a sink strainer and I always wipe dishes/pots/pans with paper towels beforehand).

Michelle, I am fairly liberal with my water to waste ratio as I flush after using the toilet. This is one of the essential elements of good black tank use. I also back flush a few times, when I have the time and no one is waiting behind me. Lastly, a good tank treatment like Happy Campers or your favorite gel packs really help, too. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    @Verna - That tip about positioning the back flow/hose to be at the top did the trick - it seemed to clean out much better. I also used a stronger force with the hose. Thanks!

@jkjenn - I've used the Happy Campers stuff and also like it, however, those gel packs I think do a great job (in combination with keeping a gal or 2 in the tank after I dump). 

• Options

@Verna - That tip about positioning the back flow/hose to be at the top did the trick - it seemed to clean out much better. I also used a stronger force with the hose. Thanks!

@jkjenn - I've used the Happy Campers stuff and also like it, however, those gel packs I think do a great job (in combination with keeping a gal or 2 in the tank after I dump). 

Yes - I agree! The gel packs work great, too. They are stronger in smell but easier to use on the road.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    I searched for black tank care and saw someone advocated adding a couple trays of ice cubes to the tank via the toilet. then he drove around about 15 miles or so and drained the tank and flushed again.  The theory I guess is that the chunk ice cubes sort of scrubbed the sides of the tank.  Have yet to try it. Just an idea I guess.
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options

atlasb said:

I searched for black tank care and saw someone advocated adding a couple trays of ice cubes to the tank via the toilet. then he drove around about 15 miles or so and drained the tank and flushed again.  The theory I guess is that the chunk ice cubes sort of scrubbed the sides of the tank.  Have yet to try it. Just an idea I guess.

Urban legend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH6acEmqvcw

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    IMHO  based on a You Tube test that I viewed It was ineffective at best.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun