Options

Problems with the LP Cover cracking

Comments

• Options
    TardismanTardisman Member Posts: 54
    I had also replaced the lower mounting screws with bolts and nuts. I suspect each vehicle would create different turbulence at the back. I tow with a Ford Expedition EL. When I filmed the cover being towed at 60 and 70mph it looked like a bowl full of jelly being violently shaken. With my vehicle the upper supports were essential. Have not had any problems since.
    John D. 
    2014 TAB M@X S series

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Betting you're right, changes with TVs - Mine's a square box (Jeep Wrangler) and seems to protect the cover from winds.
  • Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    edited May 2015
    PXLated said:
    Betting you're right, changes with TVs - Mine's a square box (Jeep Wrangler) and seems to protect the cover from winds.
    Pure guess work here, I would suspect that it is far less a wind issue and more of a turbulence issue caused by the airflow between the tv and tab.  I wonder what shape tv's create that type of turbulence.
  • Options
    Ya, turbulence, wind gusts rather than straight-line.
  • Options
    The wind is not a factor in the destructive force on the cowling. It is clearly the turbulence caused by the tow vehicle. This was proven in the video I made to diagnose the problem. I have included a link here to two videos I made:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_GsUSoRsoPXfjBBUVJOaGRCZ2ZJM25HWUQxV0FHV2dUaEJMZ0t0YldBcWkxNmRLZnZRUEE&usp=sharing

This is in Google Docs and I have shared with anyone that wants. 
    The first video is taken at 50mph on level ground and there was NO wind from any direction. The second video is the same test but I put long Zip-ties from the top corner of the cowling frame to the top of the gas bottle. This provided lateral support. You will see it completely arrested the movement. This demonstrate that top corner angular braces were required.

Having spent many years in technology and aviation, I am a bit of a geek when it comes to solving problems like this. I also improved the turbulence from my truck by installing "Air-Tabs" at the back edge of the truck. These are small vortex generators that smooth out the air flow and move it away from the front of the TAB. The added benefit has been a 20-30% improvement in fuel efficiency! I would be happy to share this information with others if there is any interest.

Hope this helps.
    John D. 
    2014 TAB M@X S series

• Options
    Would love to see some pics of the air-tabs. I suspect they look similar to those found on some airplane wings.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Would love to see some pics of the air-tabs. I suspect they look similar to those found on some airplane wings.
    +1
  • Options
    in2mtnsin2mtns Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for posting the videos.   Very interesting!

I'm also interested in the air-tabs.  Maybe in a new thread?
    Rich, 2013 T@B, Front Range, Colorado
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890

This is what the Airtab looks like.  I have been debating these for almost a year and have not yet pulled the trigger.  Here is the web site.

https://www.buyairtab.com/

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Ok, not quite the same as the ones I've seen on the airplanes I've flown. They're usually just a little tab sticking up to redirect the air in a different direction over the wing.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

These are used a lot on cargo trailers that have been converted to discrete travel trailers.  Also, you will notice them on the sides of some semi-truck trailers.

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    I think these were invented for big rigs.  I was talking to an ex-trucker at a campground last week who said they were somewhat effective in that application, but did not have any experience with them on a travel trailer.  He was pulling a Little Guy 5 wide with a full-sized V-8 pickup without a bed cover.  I don't think he felt they were applicable to his current situation.  BTW, he used to truck to Alaska and he and his wife are pulling the trailer up there this summer.  I was tempted.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    I checked the web site for the AirTabs and they look interesting.  (Partly because they too are "Tabs" LOL :-) My only concern would be going through a carwash with the TV - how long would they stay on.  I wonder if they would improve fuel economy even without towing the T@B.
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    My Ford Expedition has poor gas milage even without a trailer. Prior to air-tabs, I was getting 13 to 15mph without a trailer. With the TAB in tow I was getting 10 to 12.5mph.

I installed Air-Tabs along the roof line and down the edge of the back windows to see if this would reduce drag. With only half the sides and the top covered my milage when up to 16.6 to 19.0mpg without the trailer, and with the trailer 13.5 to 15.5mpg. These were averages over 50,000 miles and all across the north american continent and Canada.

I recently installed additional Air-tabs down the remaining sides at the back ( I painted to match the body color). While I have not towed the trailer much yet with the addition, the truck is now getting a solid 17.5 to 20mpg at 75 mile per hour over 4,000 miles! I assume with the trailer I will see a good increase to around 15+. For my truck this has added about 90-100 mile range per tank of gas.

Here are some key learnings:
    - Headwind is the biggest factor in milage (every 1mph headwind takes away .2mpg)
    - Tailwind improves milage (about the opposite of headwind)
    - Hilly terrain improves milage (downhill coasting)
    - Flat terrain reduces milage (engine always working)
    - Ethanol in the fuel reduces milage

The Air-tabs are easy to install. They come with adhesive, just peal and stick. You can take them off (use dental floss to pull under the adhesive and clean with Naphtha). They have been through many car washes and never come off. I got white ones for painting. Pictures attached.

John D. 
    2014 TAB M@X S series

• Options
    hatboxhatbox Member Posts: 44
    Ugh, just picked up Sofitel last week, one outing and lp cover cracked already...looks to me like it was screwed in too tight at dealer--wondering why I don't see a washer though...that would be best--a rubber washer.  Alas, contacting dealer and hoping after one week it's a warranty thing.

Lisa and Tim

Cottonwood, Arizona

2015 Max S Sofitel--"The Hatbox"  TV: 2013 Subaru Outback and 1994 Toyota Land Cruiser aka "the Betty"

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    hatbox said:
    Ugh, just picked up Sofitel last week, one outing and lp cover cracked already...looks to me like it was screwed in too tight at dealer--wondering why I don't see a washer though...that would be best--a rubber washer.  Alas, contacting dealer and hoping after one week it's a warranty thing.

The dealer's DO receive the front cowlings (that are placed in the cabin area of the trailers at the factory) and they are installed by the dealer on site once the unit arrives.  This issue will be covered under your warranty and they will propably need to have it replaced for you.  Hopefully things will be easily resolved and you'll be back in business soon!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    mdimdimdimdi Member Posts: 32
    Mike, do you know what other kind of prep the dealer has to do before delivery? Mine is built and about to be shipped and I am trying to guess how long dealer prep will take. 
  • Options
    My dealer prep was one morning - install battery, propane and cover and a general check over. Mine got dropped off late on a Sunday and I picked it up early Monday afternoon. Mike, am I accurate?
  • Options
    Re that crack...emailed dealer, he is ordering New l.p. cover post haste, so all is well, and I'm very pleased as its a costly replacement if uncovered.    I'm going to ask him for some rubber washer/grommets to be placed in between the screws and housing, for bounce protection and to keep screws from edge contact with polycarbonate cover, if that's not contraindicated for any reason.  Wonder if the diamond plate cover adds much weight to tongue, compared to poly? If anyone knows weight difference, shout back.  Thank you.

Lisa and Tim

Cottonwood, Arizona

2015 Max S Sofitel--"The Hatbox"  TV: 2013 Subaru Outback and 1994 Toyota Land Cruiser aka "the Betty"

• Options
    Saw this setup in Sedona last week of Canadians...they had a really large tongue box.  I was envious.

Lisa and Tim

Cottonwood, Arizona

• Options
    Wow - I would think that could cut down your turning radius.
  • Options
    As do I.  But from canada...  do not know what his TV was.  As for me, I'd never learn to back up--too intimidating.

Lisa and Tim

Cottonwood, Arizona

• Options
    hatbox said:
    Saw this setup in Sedona last week of Canadians...they had a really large tongue box.  I was envious.
    Not a fan of the huge box, but they do have good taste in BBQ's........yup, I have one ;)
  • Options
    mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    I was checking mine out today, and was happy to find it was well secured. There is a metal frame inside mine, which sits inside the plastic box and sandwiches the box between the inside frame and the trailer frame, so washers are not needed. There is also a metal loop the extends from side to side along the front of the box.

Is this possibly a new modification to address the cracking issue, or is this the way the previous (pre-2015) models have been constructed?
    Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 
  • Options
    There is a metal frame in mine as well, but cracking ensued from the screws somehow.

Lisa and Tim

Cottonwood, Arizona

• Options
    mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    I think I might add the braces that were suggested by Tardisman in an earlier post in this thread. I was thinking about using the two existing screws that fasten the propane pressure regulator to the diamond plate, just to minimize the holes through the front of the T@B. 
    Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 
  • Options
    lazulibuntinglazulibunting Member Posts: 41
    Mine is cracked on both sides at the bolts as well. My T@B is a 2005, so I thought it was just normal aging/wear and tear. I was planning to take it off and try to reinforce the broken areas with fiberglass tape and resin. Anybody tried this, or other types of patching materials? Hearing about the cover flying apart on the road sounds bad.
    Lazuli Bunting from Utah
    2005 Dutchman T@B & 2010 Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    mdimdi said:
    Mike, do you know what other kind of prep the dealer has to do before delivery? Mine is built and about to be shipped and I am trying to guess how long dealer prep will take. 
    My apologies for the late reply here but it's been tough keeping up with all the threads.   I asked the factory and received this reply, which may vary:

It will vary from dealer to dealer, but basically:
    • install the front tub: including filling LP and installing a battery
    • mount the spare tire
    • walk through all systems to ensure they are operational
    • verify cleanliness and free of damage inside and out
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    DennisHemingwayDennisHemingway Member Posts: 37
    I had a problem with the LP Cover on our 2013 cracking so I replaced it with a Lund 36 in. Aluminum Flush Mount Truck Tool Box.

2015 Jeep Cherokee tow Vehicle. 

Barstow, CA

• Options
    sgttikisgttiki Member Posts: 92
    I had a problem with the LP Cover on our 2013 cracking so I replaced it with a Lund 36 in. Aluminum Flush Mount Truck Tool Box.

Sounds like something I will do right out of the starting gate. Can you post some photos of the box/T@B? How is clearance for LP tank? What else do you store in the box? How is it fastened to frame? Thanks!