Options

Problems with the LP Cover cracking

I have not seen others comment on problems with the front LP cover cracking or coming loose. I have a 2014 TAB and pull it with a Ford Expedition extended length truck. I have had problems with the LP cover shearing off bolts and cracking. It was replaced under warranty once but even the new one with the re-designed support frame had the same problem.  I was able to finally solve the problem by adding lateral supports from the upper frame to the front of the TAB body.  I would be happy to share this solution if anyone that has had a similar issue. 

John D. 
2014 TAB M@X S series

Comments

• Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    I did basically the same thing to prevent problems that I had read about.  The supports I used were L-shaped shelf brackets that are available at almost any hardware store.  Stabilized it considerably.  I have made only a couple of trips with them, so time will tell if they actually do the job.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    TardismanTardisman Member Posts: 54
    I fabricated my brackets with 1/8" x 1/2" steel from the hardware store. I have put about 5,000 miles on with the new brackets and have had no more problems. I shared my solution with a contact at the TAB factory but never got a response. Seems like they should add this type of lateral support to the standard design.
    John D. 
    2014 TAB M@X S series

• Options
    in2mtnsin2mtns Member Posts: 13
    Hi Tardisman

Looks like a great idea.  I think I need to do the same thing.   A few questions:
    - How did you attach the bracket to the shell of the trailer?  Is the diamond plate strong enough to hold sheet metal screws?
    - Did you have to repair the LP cover?  Mine has some major cracks and I'm not sure what the best option for fixing them is... advice welcome!

Thanks
    in2mtns

2013 T@B
    Rich, 2013 T@B, Front Range, Colorado
  • Options
    The diamond plate is strong enough, I pre-drilled holes and used stainless steel sheet metal screws. I put a split lock washer on the screw to ensure it did not come loose. I also replaced the mounting screws on the base of the cowling. The original attachment screws used were “ galvanized #12 self tapping sheet metal screws with large washers”. These I thought were undersized to hold the frame down tightly and the reason for the failure. I then drilled out the mounting holes and replaced the screws with “ 1/4” stainless bolts, oversize washers, split lock washers and self locking nuts”. 

The brackets I fashioned out of a steel bar with a little help from a propane torch, anvil, and hammer. I drilled a mounting hole at the top of the metal upright to attach the frame. My brackets run at an angle to the trailer front. This angle is important to stop the lateral oscillations that were causing the problem.  They do not interfere with the LP tank of battery.  I have attached some photos for reference.

John D. 
    2014 TAB M@X S series

• Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    Thanks, Tardisman for the details on the type of screws & washers you used.  I will be replacing my screws before I tow in the spring, as one screw has come completely out.  T@B is in storage for the winter, so no worries on losing my accessory box on the highway.  Luckily, I have no cracks in the cover. [-O<
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    Thanks for the additional info.   Completely agree that self tapping screws may be part of the problem.

Interesting to note from your photo that the metal frame inside my LP cover has a much shorter "foot" and is therefore inherently less stable.   I'll probably try to beef that up too.

I wonder what the LP cover is made out of.  I want to patch & reinforce some of the cracks in my cover and it would help to know what kind of glue to use for the material I'm dealing with.
  • Options
    I have a crack in the bottom edge from before I installed the supports. It is so stable now the crack has not gotten worse. I thought about trying to patch but the cover looks like injection molded plastic so may be difficult to get something to stick other then attaching a reinforcement plate on the inside with screws.

Good luck.
    John D. 
    2014 TAB M@X S series

• Options
    bigmattbigmatt Member Posts: 31
    I am pretty sure the front box and most of the other plastic parts on the T@Bs are ABS plastic, they are vacuum formed parts,ask me how I know, I worked for a fiberglass and plastic company for 20+ years building patterns(plugs) and designing molds.I really haven't looked at my propane box closely ,but one problem with ABS,it expands and shrinks with temp.It helps a lot to have oversize holes when fastening. If it can't move with temp changes,it hase no other choice but to crack.
  • Options
    bigmattbigmatt Member Posts: 31
    Sounds good Sandra, the rubber washer should help a lot,JB weld should stick very well.Next chance I get ,I'm going to pull my cover off,I would like to remount it myself,I believe the dealer mounts these,Mine looks like it was just bolted down tight,without any concern about cracking,my trailer is still under warranty, If I do find any cracks,the dealer will be contacted immediately. I think one problem,with the covers, is people are using it as a storage box,I don't think it was designed for that,I believe it was meant to be just a cover to hide the battery and propane tank,ABS plastic,really isn't that strong,especially when cold.
  • Options
    OrygunOrygun Member Posts: 17
    My LP cover had a 8 inch crack in it, then the whole cover proceeded to disintegrate in the ferocious winds that inhabit the I-40 corridor of New Mexico, first losing the lid(which was latched), then getting more cracks in it, then the whole thing falling apart in Idaho along I-84 with winds worse than in NM. I am hard pressed to think of a good reason to spend $600 on a replacement cover, considering the durability of the thing. Does there have to be a cover at all? I am new to trailering, so would appreciate any suggestions. I have a 2013 Tab CS which I absolutely love . I don't need it to be cute, though(i.e. buying another cover to match the color scheme). I am more in love with the functionality of the Tab trailers. If there does need to be some kind of cover, are there other options? It looks like the diamond plate cover sold by Little Guy is for the Outback model only.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Sorry to hear about the cover - I feel fortunate that mine survived the winds - NE/AZ, N/NM & SE/CO (so far anyway). Unbelievable winds - Won't be in those area come next spring I can guarantee.
    I would think the Outback box would fit. The frame and physical body dimensions are the same I believe. I'd call the factory. $600 sounds a little steep to me though.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Orygun said:
    My LP cover had a 8 inch crack in it, then the whole cover proceeded to disintegrate in the ferocious winds that inhabit the I-40 corridor of New Mexico, first losing the lid(which was latched), then getting more cracks in it, then the whole thing falling apart in Idaho along I-84 with winds worse than in NM. I am hard pressed to think of a good reason to spend $600 on a replacement cover, considering the durability of the thing. Does there have to be a cover at all? I am new to trailering, so would appreciate any suggestions. I have a 2013 Tab CS which I absolutely love . I don't need it to be cute, though(i.e. buying another cover to match the color scheme). I am more in love with the functionality of the Tab trailers. If there does need to be some kind of cover, are there other options? It looks like the diamond plate cover sold by Little Guy is for the Outback model only.

If you go to the Teardrop Store (at the top of the page, click on "Store"), select T@B Parts, and the Diamond Plate cover is $695. 

I do know that you can get this Diamond Plate cover on any LG T@B, because I have seen a picture of one and I asked about it.  The description says it is used on the Outback, not that it is only for the Outback.  I would take the Diamond Plate cover any day over the plastic--I think it looks sharp!

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Wow, $695 is a lot for a cover - Sorry LG but to me that's outrageous.
  • Options
    OrygunOrygun Member Posts: 17
    Thank you, guess I read that wrong. That would be a good option, versus the plastic one.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Wow, $695 is a lot for a cover - Sorry LG but to me that's outrageous.
    Well, if you consider that a diamond plate box with just straight lines can cost over $300 and sometimes well over $300, and then you consider that this one is made for a specific model of a camper with lots of curves, that adds money, maybe "value" to it.  So, it's one of those specialty items.  And, there's always a markup that the seller needs to receive so that they can sell the product. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Understand but it still sounds rather high.
  • Options
    Yeah, none too happy with the LP cover situation.   The dealer installed our original one incorrectly so it broke off in the middle of Missouri on the way to Colorado.  LG very kindly sent a free replacement a few months later but that one broke up several thousand miles after installation somewhere in New Mexico.  I think there's a design flaw here (at least for the 2013 T@Bs).

I really like the look of the original cover but I'm not too keen on spending money ($600+!) and time on a new one unless I can be sure the solution is robust and will last.  

Funny, but the line of T@Bs across the bottom of the forum are all missing their LP covers.  Hmm....
  • Options
    in2mtns said:

Funny, but the line of T@Bs across the bottom of the forum are all missing their LP covers.  Hmm....
    The photo is one of the T@B's that are ready to be shipped to their locations.  The covers are stored inside the T@B during the trip.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    in2mtns said:

They are ready to be shipped to the dealer. They are shipped with the cover not yet attached.

When my cover goes, I would rather not have the weight of the diamond plate, yet it seems to be the only real option. I would want to paint it to match my trim, of course.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    jkjenn said:

When my cover goes, I would rather not have the weight of the diamond plate, yet it seems to be the only real option. I would want to paint it to match my trim, of course.

Jenn, it's amazing how light the diamond plate is.  It is actually aluminum.  The hardest part is using a cleaning paste and a buffing wheel to shine it up at least once a year.  And, there is diamond plate behind it on the lower front of the T@B, so it really does match part of the front of the T@B's.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    PXLated said:
    Understand but it still sounds rather high.
    As Verna noted these are custom made covers and made specifically for the factory.  I had communicated with Scott Hubble about the fiberglass covers last year and at that time he indicated they were looking into the possibility of having the diamond plate covers fabricated by a vendor.  I was actually amazed to see that they had pulled this off as Scott indicated that the ability to bend the diamond plate was a major hurdle and only time would tell.  So am sure that even with the price, this is a challenging process and takes time to manufacture the individual covers.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Sorry, still sounds high Mike.
  • Options
    I like others had problems with my original cover. My first one broke and was replaced by Little Guy under warranty. The second one also started to break. Having some engineering experience, I filmed the cover while being towed to see what forces were causing the problem. It turns out a simple brace at the top of the frame to the front of the TAB was all it took to stop the oscillation caused by turbulence from the tow vehicle.

I posted my solution in this tread dated Oct 2014 (see above). I also shared this with the factory buy it looks like they have not addressed yet. If your cover is cracked but still in tact, check out my earlier post as it will resolve the issue. Hope this helps.
    John D. 
    2014 TAB M@X S series

• Options
    John - Are those just self-tapping screws?
  • Options
    Yes I used Stainless Steel self tapping screws. I pre-drilled holes in the diamond plate for them on the front of the TAB. The supports are 1/8" steel flat rod I bought at Lowes and cut, bent, drilled and painted. The connection at the top of the cover support frame was stainless hex head bolts and nuts. They were a bit tricky to get the nuts on the back. You could use self tapping screws as well. Just need to pre-drill.
    John D. 
    2014 TAB M@X S series

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Tardisman I checked out your pictures could you tell me how long your braces measure?
    Thanks
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    The support is  7'-1/4" on the long side to the bend. When attached to the flat side of the brace, this distance should reach the front of the TAB at a 45 deg angle. Yours may be a little longer or shorter due to where they mounted the housing.
    John D. 
    2014 TAB M@X S series

• Options
    One nice feature of this solution is it does not get in the way of taking the propane or battery out.
    John D. 
    2014 TAB M@X S series

• Options
    And that's a good thing :-)
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    My screws (self-tapping) came loose at the lower frame of my accessory box (2014 T@B S M@xx) late last year.  I did not have any cracking of the box, thank goodness.  So before I took my T@B out this year for the first time, I drilled new holes (larger) in the frame of the tongue and secured it to the accessory box with large washers and nuts/bolts.  It stayed secure during a recent 2,439 mile trip from Denver to Tucson and endured HIGH winds.  Maybe the wind flow off the back of my Tacoma and over the tonneau cover helped protect the accessory box.  It still feels pretty stable. 
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)