Options

Problems with the LP Cover cracking

124»

Comments

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Ok, I'll bite, what's an AirTab?
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,507
    Google it!  They are molded plastic used to reduce turbulence and drag.  Supposed to stick them on the top and side rear of your TV. 
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
  • Options
    Eric, they are molded plastic designed to reduce turbulence and drag to improve MPG.
  • Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    Developed by NASA, I believe. There's quite a lot of documentation, mostly for "big rigs" that have a boxy shape, that these things will create an airflow that reduces or eliminates turbulence created by a 90 degree bend in the shape of an object moving through a fluid, i.e., air.

Reduction in fuel consumption, reduction in effects of (other) passing vehicles, less wear on front tires due to a reduction in trailer "wag," etc. etc. Most effective when placed at specified intervals around all 90-degree surface changes -- like all around the sides & top on the rear edges of a squared-off trailer. They're often placed around the tractor cab as well, which again reduces or eliminates turbulence (& drag) associated with the space between tractor & trailer. Seems like a lot of tractor-trailers now are coming out with built-in drag-reducing shapes, but once in a while I still see Air Tabs, which I would say are a pretty cheap fix.
  • Options
    AldebaranJillAldebaranJill Member Posts: 452
    edited November 2016
    ericnliz said:
    Ok, I'll bite, what's an AirTab?
    Here is the official video: https://youtu.be/ZxKKpevwLqY

They are not developed by NASA, but from the Air Tab video, NASA has performed some evaluation.

Regarding fuel consumption, Air Tab website states it is in 2% - 5% range. Crosswind stability is stated to be a more noticable benefit to RVers.
    2013 MAXX T@B towed by a 2015 Volvo S60 5 CYL AWD Sedan
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Thanks all, just learned something new as I had never heard of them before.  ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    TravelerTraveler Member Posts: 5
    Our original plastic battery/LP box disintegrated on our last trip from Houston to Kansas City. Someone on I-35 N in Oklahoma or north Texas has our black box cover as a hood ornament. Oops. So we purchased the T@B diamond plate cover and I recently took off the remains of the old box. Because the old bolt holes in the tongue are not exactly aligned for installation or removal of nuts, I was going to try self tapping screws like we use on our metal barn to attach the new diamond plate box. The screws will be centered on the tongue struts (she said confidently as she has made a template).  Has anyone done this themselves - attached their own new diamond plate T@B LP/battery box)?  I've searched the forum but only saw where folks had the box installed by others. The two pics below show the "before" condition before I sanded and painted the frame. Second question - the T@B diamond plate box comes with a frame mount for the LP tank but not for a battery (or batteries) I assume so one can customize their energy storage solution. Any pics of custom battery storage inside a diamond plate box would be appreciated. Thanks much!
    T@B 2015 CS S Max
    Durango Citadel

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.
    - Robert Louis Stevenson 

• Options
    irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    Oops.. only one (LARGE) pic showed up. You might try to set your camera for "email" size pics. If the files are large, this forum will often only load one....

Nice move, removing everything and cleaning up your frame, BTW.
  • Options
    TravelerTraveler Member Posts: 5
    Thanks Irvingj, yep, I forgot to reduce the size of the pics.  The other pic showed the factory drilled hole not just through the top but also opening up the side of the right strut. Guess no one has attached the diamond plate lp cover themselves?  I'll get some rubber bushings and attach it with self tapping screws. 
    T@B 2015 CS S Max
    Durango Citadel

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.
    - Robert Louis Stevenson 

• Options
    RamrodRamrod Member Posts: 164
    Where should these be installed? At the edge of the roof, at bottom of bumper or both? This is very interesting
  • Options
    KARKAR Member Posts: 84
    Our 2013 T@B mellow yellow LP cover broke:( Anyone know if it can be repaired? They don't make them anymore apparently:(! So cute!
    We got the new diamond aluminum box but if anyone knew how to repair the other - I'd love it!
    Plus I'd love some photos of how you all mounted yours! Thanks, K
    2015 Tab S with Alde