Options

Front window rock protection

Comments

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    @Ratkity, yeah, I wondered about that.  I'm thinking it might be nice to replace it with the plastic one. Probably won't until it turns into 'millions of tiny little pieces that are impossible to clean up' though...  :|
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    @Ratkity it appears to be a double pane window as the cracks are on the outside piece, but the inside piece has no cracks. Thanks for the info on clear Gorilla tape! I didn't know, and wanted something I could see through vs duct tape, my second choice!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    ChanW said:
    I dunno @jkjenn, I wonder if our front windows might be less susceptible to damage because they're (tempered?) glass.

I'm not looking forward to hooking a trailer to the back of the Tab for all its accessories! B)

Maybe better mud flaps would suffice?

Just a thought. (I do like your solutions @Dalehelman ;) )
    I honestly don't know, but I would hate to find out, the hard way. So far so good, but I wouldn't mind a solution if it did not involve a permanent install.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    I suppose finding out 'the hard way' isn't ideal. I wonder if there's some kind of 'roll up' cushioning material that could be attached to the glass for travel. Or maybe some kind of applied film that would permanently protect the glass.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    ChanW said:
    I suppose finding out 'the hard way' isn't ideal. I wonder if there's some kind of 'roll up' cushioning material that could be attached to the glass for travel. Or maybe some kind of applied film that would permanently protect the glass.

Good question. I wonder if you couldn't get some of the refelctix and sew some type of corner pockets on it? The film is also an interesting thought. Sort of like the cell phone protective screens. Maybe we just need Gorilla Glass!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
     Ratkity said:
    @ChanW I recall someone saying they got hit by a rock during travel had their non-opening window and it was tempered, but did not have the 'plastic' sandwich that a front window of a vehicle has. It's more like the side windows of a vehicle. The people who had their window broken said they were picking tiny glass pieces forever.
    I had my former Silvershadow stargazer window shattered by an errant rock that was tossed up by a vehicle traveling in the opposite direction up in Helena, Montana, shattering the safety glass.  I do see value added in Dale's mod, especially if you are traveling on gravel surfaces and on roads like the ALCAN highway.  I sent a note on to the factory to get a flavor as to how many T@B windows or experiences they've had along this line.  I find it interesting that many RV companies do incorporate a cover over the front windows  and I'm curious as to the added value of the Lexan windows in these types of events.   I will see what happens and will post up any information I receive.
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Yeah, the more you-all make me think about it... The more sense it makes. Now I'll have to get creative. Neoprene wetsuit material?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    ChanW said:
    Yeah, the more you-all make me think about it... The more sense it makes. Now I'll have to get creative. Neoprene wetsuit material?
    Now you're thinking.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Just gotta get the diver to hold on tight! :rofl:
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Might be all around easier to replace the window with the plastic one, and use your idea, Dale
    Then we'd have a nice opening front window.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    @ChanW, no, I wouldn't. My lexan front outer window is the one that cracked a couple of trips ago. My vote would be window cover over the plastic/lexan window. That said, I have an old wet suit I could play with...hmmmm.

BTW, The Happy Camper Wives had their front window shatter into smithereens all over the inside of their trailer. They have a YouTube video of the whole mess, and how they handled it. I'll take cracked plastic any day!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    so much for it supposed be bullet proof plastic...I swear I heard the Hadocy guy say that on a video. So I looked it up and sure enough he says it in the Tab 400 video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkRQ7ZbXZCI not so bullet proof window I guess.... but that doesn't sound as good. But the point is well taken that a cracked piece of plastic is better than a shattered piece of glass every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    dsatwork said:
    so much for it supposed be bullet proof plastic...I swear I heard the Hadocy guy say that on a video. So I looked it up and sure enough he says it in the Tab 400 video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkRQ7ZbXZCI not so bullet proof window I guess.... but that doesn't sound as good. But the point is well taken that a cracked piece of plastic is better than a shattered piece of glass every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
    Great example of what the dealer says vs. reality. Hadocey is a great dealer, but they can all over-state things.

• Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    jkjenn said:
    dsatwork said:
    Great example of what the dealer says vs. reality. Hadocey is a great dealer, but they can all over-state things.
    I'm sure he meant it's really tough...not literally "Bullet Proof" 
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    dsatwork said:
    jkjenn said:
    dsatwork said:
    I'm sure he meant it's really tough...not literally "Bullet Proof" 
    True Jenn but it is not likely that It really needs to be billet proof. At least outside of  Chicago.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Them tiny rocks can go faster than a .22! Not that I've measured. Just based on the smack and the heart attack factor while driving.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    COcamperCOcamper Member Posts: 43
    I thought this was a fantastic idea @Dalehelman . I bought the exact same materials, did the project, even cut the plastic a tad big so there's a slight bow when sliding it into the groove as recommended, and everything seemed to fit very tight and great. I gave myself the proverbial pat on the back for a job well done.

And then the corrugated plastic came out while towing. I don't know when but it was there and then it wasn't. The channels remained perfectly in place. 

Does anyone else have ideas to improve this hack? 

2017 CS-S Silver / Red Trim "Tuesd@y" | 2019 F-150 Abyss Gray | 13 States
    On Instagram: @dogmomming
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    I think (yeah, I know, dangerous stuff), since @Dalehelman's posting of this mod, he made improvements to alleviate the condition you just described. I know we were talking, and he mentioned his "sliding" in the channels. Not sure what was done about it. Maybe he'll chime in here and give you an update......Dale?  :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    edited August 2017
    @Dalehelman In addition to being a great hacker, you post great hacking photos!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    COcamperCOcamper Member Posts: 43
    Thank you @Dalehelman. I'll try to figure out something similar, and really appreciate the pics you posted.
    2017 CS-S Silver / Red Trim "Tuesd@y" | 2019 F-150 Abyss Gray | 13 States
    On Instagram: @dogmomming
  • Options
    gbellgbell Member Posts: 88
    5/8 in. x 96 in. x 5/8 in. Thermoclear Polycarbonate Multi-Wall U-Channel
    Model#  PCTWU-16MM

this is what home depot has, i can't find the sunlite brand, would this work? or is there a site that sells what you used for the u channel.

thanks

• Options
    edited August 2017
    gbell said:
    5/8 in. x 96 in. x 5/8 in. Thermoclear Polycarbonate Multi-Wall U-Channel
    Model#  PCTWU-16MM

this is what home depot has, i can't find the sunlite brand, would this work? or is there a site that sells what you used for the u channel.

thanks

Home Depot is where I purchased mine. I found the one I bought in fiberglass roof section.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    BertBert Member Posts: 87
    I ended up buying 1/4 inch aluminum channel. The 8mm originally discussed is .32 inch wide. I don't think you would want the channel to be too wide or the cover might fall out. I'm concerned that the sides of my U-channel might not be tall enough to do the job. How tall was the U-channel Delehlman used? I won't cut my channel until I learn more. 
  • Options
    Bert said:
    I ended up buying 1/4 inch aluminum channel. The 8mm originally discussed is .32 inch wide. I don't think you would want the channel to be too wide or the cover might fall out. I'm concerned that the sides of my U-channel might not be tall enough to do the job. How tall was the U-channel Delehlman used? I won't cut my channel until I learn more. 
    9/16 deep
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Bill_in_TulsaBill_in_Tulsa Member Posts: 65
    Photomom said:
    Nice. We went a different way - full glass coverage on our T@B insurance policy.
    That is great, however that will not take care of a wet bed and full of Glass on a Trip to Alaska.....
    Lynn and Bill-in-Tulsa
    2016 Silver Shadow 5x10 ~ TV 2016 Ford Transit 350 Wagon XLT van.
    "Find the Magic in a Teardrop Trailer"
    Tulsa, Oklahoma USA
  • Options
    There have been several reports of front window damage do to flying rocks. Although we have not experienced that we are getting some very small nicks in the plastic. There is one small dent next to the window. Had that rock hit the window it would most likely have broken it. Here is my approach to protecting that window. I  sourced the 3 items from Home Depot 

1 pc of  corrugated black plastic 24"x36" sku# 074507996159  $9.22
    1 pc plastic sunlite 8mm U channel 8' sku#
    763552401397  $4.47
    1 roll of Scotch or 3M red back double sided trim tape. About $5.00
    Hi Dale,
    Bill Johnson here. Looks great. I read some place that this window is lexan? Is that correct?
    I am surprised that is chatters? I love you modification. No I do not have a T@B as you know I have a Silver Shadow. I just added a lexan cover for my drivers side door window for our up and coming Alaska trip. Good Job should work good!
    Lynn and Bill-in-Tulsa
    Tulsa, Oklahoma USA
  • Options
    ChanW said:
    I dunno @jkjenn, I wonder if our front windows might be less susceptible to damage because they're (tempered?) glass.

I'm not looking forward to hooking a trailer to the back of the Tab for all its accessories! B)

Maybe better mud flaps would suffice?

Just a thought. (I do like your solutions @Dalehelman ;) )

Have you not be driving down a gravel road and have a Pickup drive by at 50 mph and throw gravel that breaks head light and windshields? Well, I have more than once! So I understand the need for this mod unless you will never drive down a gravel road. I vote yes even though I do not have a T@B...
    Good luck. Better mud flaps on you TV will not help.

Lynn and Bill-in-Tulsa
    Tulsa, Oklahoma USA
  • Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    @Dalehelman --good to see you're back at your famous mods!  Just to confirm, you used the double sided tape to attach the U channel, no screws, correct?  
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!