Options

Bearing Maintenance

124»

Comments

• Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 471
    I did use the Valvoline full synthetic grease when I repacked last year. Any issues with this? It seemed to exceed all the Dexter manual requirements.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    How's this price for bearings?

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    BrianZ said:
    How's this price for bearings?

I think that seems pretty expensive compared to other options

• Options
    This is the Dexter kit for my 400 on Amazon. Includes bearings and races and seals

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Thanks, @qhumberd.  
    I do see many kits on Amazon that appear to be the right kit for our 320S and are much cheaper, but all appear to be after-market sources, not from Dexter.
    PS: It appears dexterpartsonline.com sells the kit for $49.90 for 2 pair (two wheels/one axle) plus shipping.  Includes the seal, washer & cotter pin..

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,513
    @qhumberd - it looks like it is the same lithium complex grease as the nuCamp recommended blend below:
    • Valvoline Multipurpose = NLGI #2 Grade GC-LB Lithium Complex EP Grease
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Just wanted to also mention, if you pull hubs and completely clean out old grease, then zero worries about needing exact same grease as factory install. Just know what you put in meets specs and then use the same next time.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,461
    BrianZ said:
    PS: It appears dexterpartsonline.com sells the kit for $49.90 for 2 pair (two wheels/one axle) plus shipping.  Includes the seal, washer & cotter pin..
    @BrianZ, where are you finding that listing/price you posted? I found that same kit at Dexter axle but it was $48 for one wheel.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    Just wanted to also mention, if you pull hubs and completely clean out old grease, then zero worries about needing exact same grease as factory install. Just know what you put in meets specs and then use the same next time.
    Along the same line, if you perform this service and have been using the EZ-Lube, note that a bit of old grease will be retained in the drilled spindle. Before reassembly, you can force this out into a rag with new grease. It only took about three pumps of grease in my case.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ScottG said:
    BrianZ said:
    @BrianZ, where are you finding that listing/price you posted? I found that same kit at Dexter axle but it was $48 for one wheel.
    @s@ScottG, try this..
     http://www.dexterpartsonline.com/product/K71-717-00
    For me, it shows $24.95 for one wheel.
    For 2, it was $67 including UPS shipping.

• Options
    Thanks, @BrianZ. That is definitely a different site from the official Dexter site. Not sure of the affiliation, but regardless it seems to be genuine Dexter parts at a decent price for the kits. 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    pakpak Member Posts: 115
    Took a peak at my bearings. I have been using the ez lube without any other maintenance. Everything looks great. The ez lube appears to be working as advertised. Cleaned things up, inspected axle, brakes, bearings, seals etc. Buttoned it up and ready to roll. I did buy replacements to put into the parts box. On thing I do while on the road is check the wheel hubs for temperature at gas stops.
  • Options
    SlackersSlackers Member Posts: 419
    We just did the E-Z lube thing.  The existing lube didn't look that bad.  Our 320 CSS has low miles but considering its age (2019) it was time.  The hardest part of the process was cleaning up the grease gun borrowed from the neighbor prior to filling it with a new tube.
    2019 Tab 320 CSS, 2019 Ranger TV, OH
  • Options
    Jay1415Jay1415 Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2018 Tab 400, and I would like part numbers for the axle seals. Are they the same (same axle) as the 320? So numbers referenced above or the “standard 3.5k listed at etrailer? (58846-seal, bearings L68149 inner, L44649 outer, L68111 inner race, L44610 outer race, bearing kit BK2-100). Thanks.
  • Options
    SusanDSusanD Member Posts: 87
    I have a 2021 tab 320 with approx 7,000 miles on it and will be heading across the country in a month.  By the time I come home, I'll be around 12,000 miles.  I'm thinking that I should grease the bearings before I go and repack them when I come home.  What I don't understand is why my car maintenance schedule just says inspect wheel bearings at 50,000 miles.  No greasing or anything required. Why the difference and is it really necessary to grease the bearings for such a new trailer before I go?
    2021 Tab320S Boondock, 2019 Subaru Outback 2.5
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 618
    Cars today use more expensive sealed bearings that don’t require lubrication maintenance. I wish trailers did the same. 
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    SusanDSusanD Member Posts: 87
    Thanks @Horigan. Makes sense. Guess I'll be buying a grease gun and grease, watch a few YouTube videos and DIY.
    2021 Tab320S Boondock, 2019 Subaru Outback 2.5
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 618
    Yep. The trailers come with lithium based grease, so get that to be compatible with what’s in there. Raise the wheel and rotate it while you pump the grease in slowly. 
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,513
    @SusanD - nuCamp uses Valvoline GM Multipurpose to grease the bearings.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    cbrueggecbruegge Member Posts: 3
    We recently purchased a 2018 320S-BD and want to repack the bearings.  We are only days away from going to 2022 T@bazona, so don't want this maintenance to be a deal breaker for our upcoming trip.  I see we will need Dexter seals: "K71-303-00 ez lube seal"  which I don't see on the etrailer web site.    The comments here also say we will be able to get this part at any local automotive site.  As auto stores don't necessarily sell Dexter parts, how likely is it that they will be able to sell me an equivalent part if I bring in the trashed seal???

• Options
    WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 189
    @cbruegge. It is a very common seal size. Most parts stores shouldn’t have any problem finding an equivalent seal. 
    2021 320S BD
    2006 F-150
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
  • Options
    If you look at this parts list you will see an etrailer alternative listed for Dexter K71-303-00.

I don't recall exactly how I got that part number in the first place, but I think it was from the extensive Q&A on etrailer's site. I ordered seals from Dexter so I also can't say with absolute certainty this one will work, but it might be worth checking out if you can't source one locally.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    cbrueggecbruegge Member Posts: 3
    Thank you WayneW and ScottG for your replies.  I was worried the seal would be trashed and not be able to replace in time for our trip, but WayneW was right about them being readily available.  We took the old seal to AutoZone, and they easily found a seal that looked identical to the Dexter part.  All worked out.  Thank you both.