Options

Slats for "Jackie Wilson"

is there a site or place where you can buy pre made bed slats..? On the occasion that I need to convert from twin to full size sleeping arrangements.
Chris and Toby, the wonder dog
2014 320S
2016 kia Sorrento SXL V6

Comments

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Easy enough to measure and have some boards cut at Lowes or Home Depot.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    Yup, the slats themselves are simple. However, if you don't already have them you do need to install rails on the lower portion of each bench in order to support the slats.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Make sure you measure each slat length to the sides of the benches. Don't assume everything is square!! :)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    I believe the slats and the rails ScottG mentioned are available from Elsie. But you'll probably save money and be happier with slats you can get cut locally. The slats that came with my trailer were pretty rough.
  • Options
    clinckclinck Member Posts: 57
    Good advice..I will measure and shop for them locally.
    2014 320S
    2016 kia Sorrento SXL V6
  • Options
    The rails from Elsie are very nicely finished to match the woodwork and have stops to keep the slats in place. Those are worth getting.
  • Options

Ratkity said:

Make sure you measure each slat length to the sides of the benches. Don't assume everything is square!! :)

Yes, the slats that came with my trailer only fit one way.
  • Options
    marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    I got mine from Elsie. Very elegant, well-finished and inexpensive product that's exactly matched to my T@B. 
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @clinck, I made my own slats from 3/4" x 6" poplar, cut to length with one slat being (if memory serves) about 4" wide. None of the lengths were the same, and I measured an "average" to length, (after carefully measuring from one end front to back at various spots along the benches) cut them all, and made a little wider rails to accommodate the difference in lengths. I then routed the boards on all 4 sides, and finished them with clear semi-gloss polyurethane, sanding between each fully dried coat with 0000 steel wool. They came out awesome & with the wood I chose, matches very well with the interior wood. I have to give credit where credit is due, and tell you that I got the idea, and basis from a posting from @Pop-T@B when he posted with great description and photos on the one he did for his T@B. Take the time to browse his posting it will be well worth your while. Simply type in bed rails to the search box, hit enter, and you'll find a whole array of different ways folks have addressed this issue. A little research goes a long ways, and save a LOT of headaches! Good luck, and MOD ON! :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    edited May 2017
    ^^^^ I shoild have added that I probably would have done the same if I had the talent and awesome tools. :)
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    ^^^^ I was trying to emulate Verna!! Saw and sawdust... ya know (and the slats weren't available pre-made back then - small details).
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    To keep the costs low I bought three 10 foot long 5/4 spruce soffit boards for under $10 apiece and cut/measured with a circular saw, to make my own.  They're roughly 1.25" thick, so they level up perfectly with the existing slat "panels" in my CS to provide a flat sturdy surface.

They're not pretty I'll admit, but with the mattress on top they're hidden anyway.  :lol:
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    I talked to Elsie and i have ordered the slats and the rails..Very inexpensive and I know they will be correct in dimensions..
    In the course of events, it makes sense to me to let them do it and get it right. My father used to say, " make enough money in life to pay people do what they do best"..I love by that motto. Some are always interested in DIYS.."do it yourself"... That's not my mantra, I care more about getting it correct the first time..If it ain't I have recourse.

2014 320S
    2016 kia Sorrento SXL V6
  • Options
    You say potayto, I say potahto--that's what makes this board fun and informative!

However, I'd argue that this DIY did get it correct the first time. The rough pallet stock provided by the factory amounts to a cheap knock-off.

For those with the time, interest and skill (and I realize that's not everybody) there's no greater satisfaction that completing a mod exactly the way you want it!

2015 T@B S

• Options
    Actually the slats I got from nuCamp were finely finished and matched the wood inside the T@B. I do remember earlier comments about it being rough and unfinished, but apparently they listened to their customer base and made the change. 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,527
    Oh Scott - those are bed slats to be proud of!  That is our next project.  We thought we would use some ready made shelves from HD, but we are afraid that the laminate on them will not cut evenly and then the fake wood inside is pretty rough.  What did you use?  

Marknjudy - we have a new Tab and the bed slats are so rough on the ends that they snag the cushions every time I take them up or put them down.  We hope to make bigger ones.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    I have ordered the slats from Elsie..I will report back on their quality and condition..
    2014 320S
    2016 kia Sorrento SXL V6
  • Options
    I spoke to Elsie.  She said there is no difference in the slats between what you receive with an ordered Tab vs ordering through the parts department.  Something that may help is to either sand the edges and seal them or apply a felt edge.  I still find the arrangement for the CS awkward, although they do store well.
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Our slats and rails from nüCamp were nicely finished but we need to add "stops" for the first and last slats on the rails. Our 75# standard poodle moves around enough to move the slats (he sleeps in the middle toward the front in the queen bed formation) and has fallen off of the front after dislocating the slats 2 nights in a row. Poor puppy. Bad momma!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    Sorry that yours are rough on the edges, SAM. Mine were very smooth and didn't present a snag concern. That said, I may sand them a bit to round the edges just because. 
  • Options
    SAM said:
    Oh Scott - those are bed slats to be proud of!  That is our next project.  We thought we would use some ready made shelves from HD, but we are afraid that the laminate on them will not cut evenly and then the fake wood inside is pretty rough.  What did you use?  
    Thanks, @SAM. I used some 1x4 pine boards I had lying around. I rounded over the edges on a router table 'cause I could, but a little sanding would serve the same purpose of knocking down the edge. I agree with your assessment regarding laminate and fake wood.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Scott, do you know if Home Depot will route boards?  Maybe a hardware store?
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    edited June 2017
    @SAM, I just used a hand held router on mine. Did both sides, and the corners and it worked well. Looks like @ScottG's, only I chose poplar to match the interior wood a little closer. Another potato in the mix! :)
    Have you tried any equipment rental places to see if they rent a router? Just a thought. 
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    SAM said:
    Scott, do you know if Home Depot will route boards?  Maybe a hardware store?
    Am not sure HD will route wood but you could call them and ask?  I've had them cut plywood for me but am not aware that they'd take the time to route wood or have tools handy to do it?  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @SAM, it will take longer, but you can use either a sander or sand paper wrapped around a block of wood to sand the edges. Use 80 grit to knock the edges off quickly, followed by 100 then 120 grit to take the roughness of the edges. It's amazing how quickly you can hand sand and change the contour of wood. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Options
    KYkampersKYkampers Member Posts: 19
    How much do the slats/rails from NuCamp and Elsie cost? And does it take long to get them?