Options

alde is not working

hobbithousehobbithouse Member Posts: 25
ALDE worked perfectly for two days (May 25 & 26) On the 3rd morning had no furnace function. Replaced two fuses in the ALDE. All fluids and ALDE controls re-examined, all fuses in the master panel checked o.k. Circulation pump still inop. Water heater portion still heating until it blew all the glycol out thru the expansion tank and then blew the red hose hose at the top of the boiler apart. At this point the water was boiling, scalding hot water and steam everywhere. What, if any, safety controls are there to prevent over heating and over pressurization of the boiler system? and why did they also fail. I was inside with the ALDE unit exposed when things let go. It's a 2015 CSS Max TAB so probably my problem will be swept under the door and filed with a red flag "OUT OF WARRANTY." Not very happy with the TAB anymore, but the 1st two years were fun.
2019 TAB400 2018 Toyota Tacoma 4dr trd off road

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,507
    It sounds like there was an obstruction somewhere - a hose crimped somewhere that did not allow free flow of the glycol?  Did you turn up the hot water to boost before the overflow?  I think there is a pressure relief tube from the Alde that goes thru the floor under the galley sink.  Were your fuses blown?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Absolutely nothing changed from the first two days and nights that things worked perfectly. The 3rd morning found no heat. Change the two alde fuses, which were blown, and checked all GM fuses in the master panel. As things started to go "south" and the rumblings heard from the boiler, I relieved the pressure via the hot water faucet at the galley sink and turned all sliders and thermostat to off on the alde control. The boiler still continued to heat the domestic water in the tank again until the hose blew. This all happened in the course of 30 minutes or less.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @hobbithouse, this is a frustrating situation to the max! Now that you are looking for a fix/answer, it's easy to forget you and the wife are ok. You don't know how much that means to me. All of our T@BBers are family. I wish you the best in finding out your answers. :heart:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Ratkity, thank you for your kind words. The mrs. and I are fine, could have been much worse. The upside is most anything can be fixed but, we also need to know that this will not be a common recurring problem. Need to build our trust in Nu-Camps product again.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Thanks for the update Bill. It's good to know NuCamp is on top of things (still!)

Glad you feel better about it!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    That is what makes nuCamp special.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @hobbithouse, Hang in there, NuCamp will make things right for 'ya. The more I see them extending themselves to help folks out of tough situations, the more impressed I become with them. Glad to see you got your helping hand! :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    @hobbithouse... did you ever get this resolved?  I have similar symptoms but no explosions!

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Hmmm, this is starting to concern me...

@DurangoTaB, I'd think nüCamp would want to know about your (similar) situation.

Please let us know what you learn. 

From Bill's description, potential scalding etc., there might be need for a recall.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    @ChanW...NuCamp is very aware!

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    The Alde system is new to us as our 320 did not have it.  Our 400 does so we are trying to learn the system.  I noticed in the owner manual for the Alde that it cautions the user to drain the system after use for several times approx once a month.  Seems that the air cushion can be depleted after repeated use.  The air cushion is there to prevent a problem some what like described above. Question,  how many owners do drain the system to re establish the air cushion?
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,442
    I've never worried about draining the Alde mid-season. I fill it up when I pull out the trailer in May, and drain it again when I winterize in October after 30+ days of cumulative use.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do this, just that I haven't bothered and have not encountered any problems with the hot water supply.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Atlasb, the Alde manual instructs to drain the Alde hot water tank with risk of freezing or "when the RV is not in use."  So, that applies for the average user.  To me it it sounds like someone using the RV/Alde continuously should drain the Alde monthly to re-establish the air cushion.
  • Options
    Om3Om3 Member Posts: 72
    We experienced similar problem with our new TAB 400 Alde heating system. We were unable to get the cabin heated...followed directions ... and tried repeatedly to get heat. Finally, we called Marvin at Nucamp...he suggested there could be a crimp in the line...and with a camera this would be detected.  There are not any trained T@B400 techs here in MA...so, we decided to travel to 
    Sugarcreek for the second time in 6 weeks!!!! Once there, Marvin took control and worked on the
    T@B all day and discovered that the line had an air blockage! We left feeling relieved and were 
    pleased with Marvin and his dedication. Once on the road we took the long long ride back home 
    in heavy rain and wind!
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 590
    @Om3, did Marvin suggest how to avoid this air blockage in the future?
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    Hmmm...and how is an air “blockage” different than needing to be bled, or is it the same thing?   Shouldn’t the auto bleed valve take care of that?

J.D. & Sue

• Options
    Om3Om3 Member Posts: 72
    Not sure about that difference. We went to Sugarcreek because Marvin told us that there was a problem with "kinked lines" that were not visible unless a special camera was used to find them.
    Fortunately, that was not the issue for us...