Options

Power on all the time

I have a 30 AMP circuit installed on the side of the house where the Trailer is parked. I have it plugged it at present although all power applications are off. Is there any harm in keeping the trailer plugged in? I was hoping that it would keep the battery charged fully. Am I correct?
Chris and Toby, the wonder dog
2014 320S
2016 kia Sorrento SXL V6

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    edited June 2017
    @clink, this has been a topic of much discussion. Some people do exactly what you suggest and have no issues. Others feel keeping the camper plugged in puts undue wear on the converter and risks "boiling" the battery. (I lean toward the latter camp.)

Poke around here and you'll find lots of information and opinions.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221
    I have kept mine plugged in all the time, but I have a habit of hanging out in it doing something almost daily, so not sure if that makes a difference from a 'boiling' battery standpoint.
    Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

• Options
    clinckclinck Member Posts: 57
    Maybe th best thing is to plug in intermittently.
    2014 320S
    2016 kia Sorrento SXL V6
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I leave mine plugged in, but on a 20A circuit. I do have to unplug and hit the battery disconnect every 6 months or so to check the water in the flooded battery. I've had to add a little bit each time to each cell. Doesn't boil off, it just sorta evaporates slowwwwwwwly. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    ScottG said:
    @clink, this has been a topic of much discussion. Some people do exactly what you suggest and have no issues. Others feel keeping the camper plugged in puts undue wear on the converter and risks "boiling" the battery. (I lean toward the latter camp.)

I do as Scott does....  I do plug the trailer in from time to time, leave it plugged in for 3-4 days, unplug it and then turn the battery disconnect off while it is sitting idle.  I think it goes without saying, "different strokes for different folks."  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    Mine is always plugged in but the battery disconnect is shut off.  Batteries are constantly on maintenance charge from an external charger.
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    Same as Colorado Jon here.  I think that's best practice if you have anything invested beyond the stock battery and boondock a lot.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    I have had the same concerns others have had about leaving the converter plugged in all the time. So I have purchased this charger to make sure my two agm 100ah batteries get a deep charge and stay optimized when not in use. NOCO Genius G3500 6V/12V 3.5A UltraSafe Smart Battery Charger & NOCO Genius GC004 10' Extension Cable (Bundle) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M18LKB2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_LNPf3IqtvXyCQ
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    clinckclinck Member Posts: 57
    always insightful...Thanks guys. 

2014 320S
    2016 kia Sorrento SXL V6
  • Options
    Deltaboy59Deltaboy59 Member Posts: 315
    I have been connected continuously for 3 years now with my original stock battery...every 2 or 3 weeks I will unplug and let battery run things for 4 hours or so...then let it charge back up...no problems so far...
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Mine has been plugged in to a 30 Amp plug in the garage for 8 of it's 10 years. I am on my 3rd battery in those 10 years, and the last battery I bought I broke down and invested the money in a Blue Top Optima. I rarely boondock, but do on occasion have the T@B parked in the parking lot at work with the fridge running, and sometimes do an overnight hotel stop and leave the battery running. I did replace the converter about 3 years ago. I do use the T@B as my "thinking" spot sometimes, so nice to have the power there.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    GrandmasKidGrandmasKid Member Posts: 159
    So, I see what people are doing and I appreciate that, but I don't think the original question was answered. "Is there any harm in keeping it plugged in?" We have a AGM battery that does not take water. Is there a chance of hurting that battery if our T@B is plugged in most days? My understanding (or maybe misunderstanding) is that the converter supplies a trickle charge to our battery. Does the converter wear out faster with use or just age? Are there any warning signs before the converter wears out or should it just be replaced after a certain amount of time? Should everyone who owns a T@B buy a separate battery charger? We have a battery charger but it's easier for us just to plug into our house current. Any thoughts are appreciated.
    2021 400 Boondock/ 2021 Toyota Tacoma Off Road
  • Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    So, I see what people are doing and I appreciate that, but I don't think the original question was answered. "Is there any harm in keeping it plugged in?" We have a AGM battery that does not take water. Is there a chance of hurting that battery if our T@B is plugged in most days? My understanding (or maybe misunderstanding) is that the converter supplies a trickle charge to our battery. Does the converter wear out faster with use or just age? Are there any warning signs before the converter wears out or should it just be replaced after a certain amount of time? Should everyone who owns a T@B buy a separate battery charger? We have a battery charger but it's easier for us just to plug into our house current. Any thoughts are appreciated.
    From all the replies to that or related questions about keeping the battery charged with the converter, have had mixed responses. Some do and haven't had any issues, others have either had issues or believe it's a bad idea. I have an agm too and let it charge on converter at times and I have a separate charger that can do a better job at keeping it charged. So periodically I use that get higher level charge which is good for the battery. I just don't think there's a yes or no answer to this question
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.