Options

Inside kitchen sink awkward for use?

I am 5' 9" and concerned about the awkwardness of using the inside sink with the overhead cabinet. In trying it out at the dealer it seemed to require a very uncomfortable position to use it while standing- any input would be really helpful. 

Comments

• Options
    RoameyRoamey Member Posts: 239
    Hi,
      We recently picked up our T@B S and had to leave right away for our planned vacation, so are getting used to it as we go.  I am a hair taller and haven't used the sink yet, but after seeing your concern I tried it. I agree it is very uncomfortable with the cabinets in the way. Also check out the threads on the refrigerator before making a decision. We are finding it doesn't work. It won't charge off the car while driving and the propane apparently blows out while driving. When we stop and check it, the food temperature is in the 50's. It seems there is no fix. The camper doesn't do us much good without a refrigerator. 
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • Options
    cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    Roamey: about the fridge: it's not a good idea to power your fridge with propane while driving. The movement of the rig will knock it out and you'll hear the ticking of the propane trying to recharge it. i recommend cooling it before you leave and either using it like a cooler and just shut the door (short trip only) or put it in battery mode. If your TV isn't charging your battery while driving, that's sounds like your 7-pin hookup isn't working properly. 
    Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • Options
    mandtmandt Member Posts: 158
    Yes the sink is awkward, I agree. However we still like the trailer and work around it. 
    Mickey & Terri
    2016 Max S
    Kalamazoo Michigan
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,527
    Cbarnhill, the 3 way frig while on battery is not thermostatically regulated and results in draining the Tab battery and the heavy draw on the inadequate output from the TV battery results in a warm frig.  Best advice, as you said, is to pre-chill and use it as a cooler with frozen milk jugs.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    RoameyRoamey Member Posts: 239
    Cbarnhill. Thanks for the input. This 2018 has a manual ignitor on the refrigerator control panel that we have to hold in while lighting it. Maybe that is their "fix" for the problem of going off while driving?  Doesn't address the real issue.  
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    edited June 2017
    If the 7 pin connector has been wired for 12v and your car's alternator is beefy enough the fridge should stay cold while traveling. I'm sure someone will chime in about using propane, but all the authoritative sources I've read say to use the fridge in 12v mode while traveling. 

As as for the sink, at 5'7" it works fine for me. if I were taller I'd kneel on a short step to use the sink. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221
    My 6'2" husband kneels when using the sink to wash dishes, and it is awkward for him...not sure there is any way around that due to the cabinets and slope of the wall.  As for the fridge, I tow with a 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and have no issues keeping the fridge on 12v with the 7-pin.  I do turn the temp down...not sure that actually saves much juice, but logic says it should. 
    Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,527
    I have seen some owners use the collapsible dish pans outside the TaB to get around the comfort issue while doing dishes at the sink.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    A suggestion: an inexpensive folding bar stool from Amazon. Fold out and sit to wash dishes, fold up when not in use. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,700
    I'm  5 9, and, yes, it is a bit cramped....but when I camp I don't plan to work at a sink for much more than a minute or so at a time.   If I had to do more than that, I would think I was "camping" wrong. 

My Touareg handles the fridge just fine on 12V while on the road.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    NatalieC_NatalieC_ Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for your input everyone! very helpful...we actually just bought the T@g Outback today....picking it up next week! Which leads me to my next question, however I will take it over to the T@g area....

natalie
  • Options
    Rolltide82Rolltide82 Member Posts: 89
    I always wash dishes outside.....just feel more outdoorsy lol
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    In terms of fridge on battery while driving, you won't notice the battery drain until you are driving pretty much full days. When I put in 10-12 hour days, I try to alternate every few hours between on and off, to keep things cold and keep the battery charged. It wouldn't be very noticeable of a drain in less then 4 hours.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    AldebaranJillAldebaranJill Member Posts: 452
    jkjenn said:
    In terms of fridge on battery while driving, you won't notice the battery drain until you are driving pretty much full days. When I put in 10-12 hour days, I try to alternate every few hours between on and off, to keep things cold and keep the battery charged. It wouldn't be very noticeable of a drain in less then 4 hours.
    This depends on your tow vehicle. I've measured mine by zeroing out my meter, turning fridge on 12V, and driving. Each hour I drive I lose 3 AH. After 4 hours, that's 12 AH, which would be a very significant loss if you're boondocking.
    2013 MAXX T@B towed by a 2015 Volvo S60 5 CYL AWD Sedan
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @AldebaranJill, I luv peeps who take the time to stop and measure. Did you do a spreadsheet too? More T@B University brownie points for that!! :lol:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    AldebaranJillAldebaranJill Member Posts: 452
    Ratkity said:
    @AldebaranJill, I luv peeps who take the time to stop and measure. Did you do a spreadsheet too? More T@B University brownie points for that!! :lol:
    LOL - Yup, I figure too much hypothetical over generalizing misinformation on the interwebs already, I don't need to add to it. Just real data :) 

I did not make a spreadsheet for this but will try better next time. More brownie points please!

2013 MAXX T@B towed by a 2015 Volvo S60 5 CYL AWD Sedan
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    Sam_in_VASam_in_VA Member Posts: 6
    I'm 6' and have a tripod hiking stool that i sit on while cooking and doing dishes inside.  It's ~15" tall and takes up very little room in use or in storage.  Its not a perfect solution, but it certainly makes it better.  It's also useful as a spare seat outside.
  • Options
    lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    At 6'1"  the kitchen sink is awkward to use.  I am the dishwasher and will wash at the picnic table or at the cleaning station if the campground has one.  This also minimizes water in the grey water tank.  And working at the cleaning station is a good way to meet people.  

Same for the stove.  I am the grillman so I do most of my cooking outside.  If I have to work at the stove I sit on the end of the settee.  

My wife at 5'7" does not problem with the sink or stove.

I like the idea of the stool but it would be one more thing to carry so it would need to have additional uses to be worth while.  
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut