Options

Food Storage in Bear Country

TrailpixieTrailpixie Member Posts: 161
Hiya Folks,
I was wondering how everyone deals with bear-proof food storage in their T@B. The T@B as solid walls, but hardly enough to keep out a determined grizzly.

I know there are parks that require all food to be put in a bear-proof locker (Grizzly Bears of Yosemite). I get that.

When you do store stuff in a locker, how zealous are you? do you empty the refrigerator to store canned drinks in the bear box?

Then there are places where the biggest critter you might see is a black bear.  Where do you store food in black-bear country? I generally have used my car to store food when I am in black-bear country. What about you? Would you store food in the refrigerator in black-bear country?

What do you do if you are wildcat camping? Bear bag?

Thanks All!

Comments

• Options
    marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    So... seeing as we're heading to Yellowstone in a couple of days, I'm REAL anxious to hear the answers to this question. All the research I've done on it thus far ranges from one extreme to the other.
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    This has been discussed, before, but worth a new one. I recently saw a news story where a woman and her kids, boondocking in the Book Cliffs, were terrorized by a black bear for hours, until her husband came back and shot off a warning shot. It was literally tearing away the exterior of the RV. 

In Yellowstone, I am guessing they will tell you the fridge is OK, but everything else should go in a bear box. It might make the case for getting a Yeti cooler and lock just to use as a portable bear box for boondocking. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Texas_DaveTexas_Dave Member Posts: 18
    There's restrictions in Yellowstone as far as cooking and food storage in certain dispersed areas and campgrounds in and outside the park. Just read the warnings and follow the rules.

As for me, we have the kitchen in the back and plan on adding a pantry to a toolbox in the front rather than in a tote that we store in the camper. I don't think it would take long for a bear to open these windows on either a t@g or a t@b. 
  • Options
    marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    Good stuff! I did opt for a yeti. I need a lock. We'll planninnputting everything that doesn't go in the fridge in a bear box if there is one or the truck. 
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • Options
    a Yeti with a lock is bear box approved.  I am not sure you want them banging around with your pricy cooler, but it is better than the alternatives.

I stayed in the developed Mammoth Hot Springs campground at Yellowstone where you weren't required to store your food in a bear box.

Then I stayed in an awesome undeveloped campsite called Slough Creek. It was beautiful along a creek. There was a bear box there and I expect it was necessary despite the fact that I saw no bears. One night we did have a herd of buffalo walk through.

My photo album from Yellowstone is here.

At Yellowstone everyone carries bear pepper spray. There are lots of black bears that apparently are pretty noise averse. It isn't uncommon to hear people banging pots or setting off car horns.

As for Grizzlys, I guess you are at the mercy of good planning and luck. I think I would err on the side of caution to put everything in the box.  I am guessing that it would be fine to keep cans in the frig. 

I am still interested in everybody else's opinion.
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    edited June 2017
    I haven't camped in grizzly territory but I've tent camped and backpacked in black bear areas. The rule was no food or drink other than water in or near the tent, ever. When car camping we kept food and our cooler in the car with a blanket over the top since Yogi knows what coolers look like and will open a car to get one. Having had experience with the black bears we have in the eastern U.S. I wouldn't worry about having food in the T@B.

In grizzly territory I'd check the park web site and call the ranger office ahead of time and follow their instructions.

If you are in an area where you need to lock up food, you will need to lock up toiletries and anything with a strong odor too.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    marknjudy said:
    So... seeing as we're heading to Yellowstone in a couple of days, I'm REAL anxious to hear the answers to this question. All the research I've done on it thus far ranges from one extreme to the other.
    Check with the park. The rangers there will know how to deal with their local wildlife.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    TorzanneTorzanne Member Posts: 31
    I agree, always check the regulations as they vary depending on park and location. Some parks will allow you to keep food inside your RV as long as it's hardsided, you keep kitchen windows closed, and you are inside (and will wake up if you hear a bear trying to break in). We always error on the side of caution, so that we don't get a citation, so that our T@B isn't damaged, and most importantly so that we don't contribute to a bear losing its life due to not taking the time to store our food properly. 
  • Options
    Also, Yosemite NP has black bears, not grizzly bears. Black bears are often better at getting human food. They don't always have the strength of a grizzly but are still stong enough to pull apart cars, coolers and RVs. They can also climb more easily and are fantastic at getting food hung in trees. I always recommend a bear resistant canister for backpacking. 
  • Options
  • Options
    KBaggins1KBaggins1 Member Posts: 135
    We just got back from a week each at Banff (Tunnel Mountain) Jasper (Whistlers) and Kootenay (Redstreak).They have done such a good job of bear proofing these parks that we did not see any bears in any of the parks. The garbage and recycle stuff goes in bear proof bins and everyone keeps there camp sites super clean. We had sealed food in the frig in the T@B but the majority of our food was in our Whynter dual frig/freezer in the van. I think the bears have learned there is no easy pickens in these parks anymore so they go elsewhere. The rangers at every park said there would be bears but the only place we saw any was on the side of highways. The days of bears wandering the streets of Jasper are long gone, thanks to replacing the outdoor dump with an indoor facility and an incinerator. We did a lot of hikes and always had bear spray but we were glad not to have to use it.
    2014 T@B M@XS;  2017 Ford Transit Low Roof, Reg. Wheel Base
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    Trailpixie - beautiful photos of my favorite place.  Thanks.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited June 2017
    When I was at Yellowstone in 1986, the ranger station had a "wall of shame" of vehicles that bears pried open where people had food. No RVs or campers on the wall, btw. I think it was in a tent loop. 

The ranger also had a wall where there were very old black & white photos of the old open dump, bears fighting and people putting honey on their kids faces so the people-friendly cubs would lick it off. UGH.

All of that history is probably somewhere else now, but it was an eye-opener. Despite getting rid of the dump over a decade (from 1986), rangers were still trapping bears unafraid of people and re-locating them then. The bear-proof storage bins were huge. That was 1986. The situation is infinitely better now 31 yrs later! Just like KBaggins said, the bears now are all tagged and rarely go into the people-occupied areas. 

In Shenandoah NP, there are black bears. They know coolers by shape and color. Rangers and camp hosts will give you a ticket if you have a cooler out and you aren't actively using it. It goes into your vehicle and covering it with a towel or other items is a bonus. Last time I was there, they were trying to trap a female bear that tore into a tent that had toothpaste in it (no one was there - out hiking). They've since relocated her. The dumpsters are bear-proof.

Follow the ranger's instructions:
    Take your garbage out every evening or when you aren't there. 
    Keep coolers out of sight
    Put snacks where the rangers tell you to do.

Most times, they don't have problem bears in an area. They will tell you the current situation and what you can or can't keep in your camper or TV.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited June 2017
    I've camped in many national parks across the US, been up to Alaska and through Canada and have never had any issues with bears while camping, other than many years ago down in Southern Colorado, outside Buena Vista and along the Arkansas River when a bear emptied out my cooler alongside my conversion van.  Live and learn!

Yellowstone park officials at Madison campground were very emphatic about going over the expectations of camping years back and this included no spitting any used toothpaste on the ground, proper food storage requirements, etc. while in their facility.  There is also a pretty stiff fine that is meted out to campers who disregard park rules, leave coolers outside their tents, etc.  

But nonetheless there are always the ignorant and inconsiderate campers/visitors out there who violate these rules daily, throw abandon to the wind and place these animals at risk of losing their lives, after people discard food on the ground and unfortunately lure the animals into the area via their very sensitive and acute sense of smell, that which also allows them to smell a carcass upwind and from 20 miles out.  It's best to follow all rules, read the bulletins boards in camping areas and find out from camp hosts and park officials if bears have been seen and are frequenting the area you are camping in.  

"Please note that these food storage regulations have the force and effect of federal law: Failure to store your food properly may result in impoundment of your food or car and/or a fine of up to $5,000 and/or revocation of your camping permit."

Bear eating food taken from open food locker
    Car door pulled out by bear in search of food      Bear eating food outside a tent cabin that the bear broke into

Image result for bear damage to vehicle

10603694_760977687271627_815531929633150421_njpg

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Man, Mike... that is some hefty fine!!!! WOW
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Ratkity, Personally, I think the fine should be even stiffer for putting not only themselves and their children, but others in harms way! I could write an entire book on the foolish things I've watched folks do in bear country. From pouring bacon grease on the ground, to leaving food totally un-contained ON TOP of picnic tables and leave for the day. :anguished::angry:
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    nice pics.

I am guessing the top one is the most typical. Those others are epic fails.  I wonder what the story behind the one where the car was eviscerated. 

I think the most nightmarish one is the camper door being ripped off. Camper doors are hardly bear-proof. As I mentioned, the really aggressive bears seam to be the grizzlys. I think the black bears are more opportunistic.

With all the mention of water with food particles in it, I wonder if bears could smell your gray-water tank...even if you washed the sink out well. 

When backpacking we used to make gray water bags with our dehydrated food package with holes punctured in the bottom and stuffed with leaves.  We put that bag in the bear bag.
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,502
    edited June 2017
    One year I saw an RV with its door ripped open at a fully occupied campground in the Sierra National Forest - this is black bear territory, not grizzly. I always ask the rangers or camp host what kind of bear activity they've seen lately.
    From what I've seen, the level of activity varies greatly from year to year. I'm wondering if it will be particularly bad in the Sierra this summer due to all the snow (perhaps affecting natural food supply). 
    If you're in bear country have a plan for storing anything smelly out of your vehicle (including trailer). Think about whether your coolers are going to fit into campground bear boxes. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    TabbyCatTabbyCat Member Posts: 8
    Oh- we camped in that very spot on Slough Creek in 2004.  There were black bears across the creek in that big meadow.  Mostly though, we had a coyote that was hanging out in our camp. So beautiful there....very happy memories.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
     As long as there is no food source available there will not be bears in the area for the most part.   Bears prefer to be away from humans, up in the higher elevations and back country where there is food such as berries and what not. Once the food source dries up they will move to the lower elevations in their quest for food and this is why you see them sometimes in the suburbs of Colorado and nearby mountain towns. 

There are videos on YouTube that show bears breaking into cars out along the Blue Ridge Parkway. I know that out in  Yosemite there was an issue with bears breaking into vehicles. They become rather adept at bending doorframes and entering vehicles to get to food.  As noted in the vehicle above, once a bear gets inside of a car and has difficulty getting out they basically go into a rage and destroy the interior of the vehicle in their quest to escape. 
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Or they trash the car by digging through the backseat to get food stored in the trunk. 
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Here is a link to the story about the bear in the Book Cliffs. The Book Cliffs more or less follow I- 70 from Western Colorado through mid-Utah. It's not Grizzly territory but this was one determined bear! 

Mother and children hide from bear inside RV on campout

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014