Options

Solar question(s)

hello
I live in VT and I'm a new T@B owner: 2017 max-s outback. Just turned 50 with a full hip replacement. Been tent camping for the last 45 years, looking forward to the ease & luxury... needless to say, this is my first camper-ever!! Never even stayed in a camper. Ever. So a bit nervous and apprehensive. 
First question: the place where I got my t@b sold me a 90 watt samlex solar "kit". They poo-poo'd the zamp-said it was too expensive. I'm looking for ease. Should I return & order a Zamp online?
i like the fact that there is a "port"(I believe) on this for zamp.
Advice?
I feel so clueless. 
Thank you all!!
Ann in VT

Ann
D@ISY
2017 T@B S Max Outback; 2013 Subaru Outback w/Yakima rack
Bennington, VT

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited June 2017
    I think if it were me I would go with a larger solar panel (lets say a 120 W Zamp) for your T@B and depending on how often and where you plan to camp (e.g., in a campground or boondocking) the majority of the time, you might want to eventually upgrade your battery setup and consider either a larger battery or possibly two 6 volt batteries.  But then again, this will depend on what your energy consumption and requirements are, etc.  

I like the Zamp panels and replaced an 80 W Zamp with the 200 W Zamp portable setup.  The 120 W panel is obviously lighter (if your health limits your ability to handle additional weight, etc.) and no doubt these panels cost more, but this is my own personal preference and Zamp makes their panels here in the US.  To each his own as there are other panels out there that will deliver, but Zamp were the first to develop the portable solar units and their solar controllers are waterproof too and they have a solid product and I believe you get what you pay for.  

Do search the forum for solar panels and information as this has been a well discussed, well researched topic here on the forum and it is always a good idea to hear from others, get their input/suggestions on these products too.  

Good luck!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    awebsterlangawebsterlang Member Posts: 9
    Thank you so much!!

Ann
    D@ISY
    2017 T@B S Max Outback; 2013 Subaru Outback w/Yakima rack
    Bennington, VT
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    The solar port on the tub is only Zamp specific due to the arrangement of the + and - poles of the plug.  It appears that most non- Zamp systems require a simple adapter - $10 at Amazon.  Having said this, what is included in your "kit"?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221
    I have the Zamp 200w, and they are expensive, but it's plug-n-play and easy to set up without a degree in solarology.  :-)  I know they make other less-expensive models (like Renogy) that will work with the pre-wired Zamp outlet on the side of the battery box with the use of an adapter to reverse the polarization.  I can't speak to their ease and durability as I've never used them.  I can say that I agree with Michigan Mike in that the 120w Zamp is lighter and may work just fine depending on how judicious you are with power use.  For instance, if you use portable lanterns for light and limit your use of the TV and entertainment center and aux fans, you may be more than fine on a 120w.  I actually used the 200w in full sun to power my refrigerator all day (thought I was low on propane), but had to make sure everything else was off.  With the exception of the fridge, I can turn on everything, charge a coupled iDevices, and watch a movie or two and the 200w will keep the battery fully changed...until night.  :-)
    Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Hi Ann, just be careful. The 120W and the 200W suitcase panels are heavy. I think the 200W tops at 48 lbs. Can you carry that with your hip?
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    rtolanrtolan Member Posts: 23
    What brand of battery gauge do folks use? I would prefer a portable type. Any suggestions? Thanks
  • Options
    Dave28Dave28 Member Posts: 40
    We recently purchased a Zamp 120W for $670. The controller readout was broken during shipping. Waiting on Zamp to send me a new one. The unit is pretty heavy. In full sun, it can keep our 2 each 6 volt golf batteries (in series) fully charged with the frig and 2 fans going. Our Outback is Zamp ready; however, using alligator clips to connect to the batteries is no hassle.  The 15' cord is a little short. Will probably purchase an extension cord.
  • Options
    The 120W Zamp panel weighs 33# and the 200W panel is 47#
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    rtolan said:
    What brand of battery gauge do folks use? I would prefer a portable type. Any suggestions? Thanks
    I use a cheap (~$10-15) automotive gauge that plugs into the 12V port above the sink. These devices do have limitations--when the battery is under load the voltage will read low. That's true of any basic voltmeter (including my expensive Fluke multimeter) but you will quickly learn what is normal under different conditions.

Some here use more elaborate battery monitoring systems with a lot of cool features. They're spendy though, and for my simple needs don't justify the cost. If you are interested, there's lots of info in older threads, and maybe someone who has one can fill in the details.

2015 T@B S

• Options
    rtolanrtolan Member Posts: 23
    That's perfect for me. Thanks.
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    We also use the one Scott g has.  Ordered it through WalMart.  Gives me some idea of what is going on.  Can also use in the tw to see what goes there also. 
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    RuthTRuthT Member Posts: 5
    @SAM re the adapter from Amazon, I have looked but been unable to find one there, suggestions on search terms (other than Zamp polarity reverser, adapter or cord) would be appreciated.
    Talula 2017 T@B Max S towed by 2010 Forester

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    @RuthT, search Optimate Cable 0-27.  It should take you there.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    RuthT said:
    @SAM re the adapter from Amazon, I have looked but been unable to find one there, suggestions on search terms (other than Zamp polarity reverser, adapter or cord) would be appreciated.
    This is what you are looking for and will get you to other different wire size "quick disconnect" style SAE connectors.  These quick disconnect adapters can be purchased at any local auto parts stores and Walmart or places like Lowe's might have them too.  No doubt you should be able to match the size of the solar panel wires you are looking to splice out and adapt to and to adapt easily to your needs.   the quick disconnect referenced is for a 10 gauge wire and you may be looking for something smaller, depending on the leads you currently have for your solar panel.  

Image result for Pro Trucker 2 Pin Quick Disconnect Wire Harness SAE Connector Bullet Lead Cable
  • Options
    RuthTRuthT Member Posts: 5
    Thanks much @Mike, managed to finally find one and have the tender set up and charging the battery now.
    Talula 2017 T@B Max S towed by 2010 Forester