Options

Gift Visa cards for camping and traveling expenses

RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
edited October 2017 in Camping & Travel

Looking for some advice on using gift cards to make online reservations for campsites. Thinking of buying some visa or MC gift cards and use them while out on the road to make the next res. This way if I get hacked only lose whats left on the card. Thoughts?

2020 Tiffin Open Road
2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
Alan & Patty
Southern Az

Comments

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    Some of them have an "activation fee" so your $40 card is now worth $33, or something like that. They also have to be used in a certain time frame or the value drops. Personally I'd avoid them. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    HR_TalyHR_Taly Member Posts: 119
    I'd agree with @Homebodyatheart.  Be careful of the activation fees and monthly maintenance fees that some charge.  And I'm not sure - but I don't know about the fraud protection that these might have.  I wouldn't recommend them.

I have the Chase Amazon Prime card, and I've signed up for the email alerts for all activity.  I swear that thing has ESP.  I feel as if I nearly get an alert each time I use it *before* I hit the "buy now" button!  Maybe it knows me too well :)

I'd recommend checking into the alert options your current card(s) may have.  Sure, sometimes when I use my card frequently it's a bit annoying but then again, it's a simple delete of an email.  If I wanted to I could set it to "online purchases only", or "only purchases above $xxx" but for now, I've got it opted into all of them.  So I'll know within moments if anyone uses my card, and for how much.  And Chase (I've heard - it hasn't happened to me, touch wood!) is very good about not making you responsible for fraudulent activity reported on your card.

2018 T@B Max S silver and black (aka TadT@B), Full-timing since July 2017

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    My Credit Union requires the home zip code to be entered when getting gasoline. They say thieves will try the card first for smaller amounts of gas and then will go back for many fill ups of friends and relatives. I always get a call from the fraud department if I'm driving a lot and fill up more than twice a day. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    edited July 2017
    Yes Verna, we have to give Shell our route before we leave. We just are concerned about CC getting stole and card shut off. Getting a replacement could be a nightmare on the road. That's why I'm wondering if anyone ever used a gift visa to reserve a site.
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    Have you considered using a different card for reservations?  We use a separate checking account for travel (ATM use) to avoid the risk of access to our main account.  That way, we limit the damage.  I think JKJenn had a system that she used on the road involving atypical cards.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    PhotoJoePhotoJoe Member Posts: 34
    Bank of America, along with Chase has been very good about fraudulent charges and as HR_Taley said.  Set up alerts, I'll normally get an alert standing at the cash register when I make a purchase so you'll know immediately if a card is used.  There also is fraud protection with credit cards where you are not responsible for fraudulent purchases beyond $50 if you report it promptly.  This is not true with debit cards.  So far I have not had a bank hold me responsible for any fraudulent charges and we have had a couple of incidents.  If I remember correctly the bank contacted me about the fraud first.  Depending on how far away from home you'll be you can let your bank know where you'll be traveling so your charges will go through.

Joe

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I cashed in airline miles for gas gift cards last year and realized that was a good way to keep safe while on the road. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Also, if you have a newer phone with Samsung Pay, you can use that at more and more gas pumps, as well as regular pay terminals, not just the Tap & Pay ones.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @jkjenn -wait one darn minute! Your T@B flies?!? I want that edition!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Twojgrams said:
    @jkjenn -wait one darn minute! Your T@B flies?!? I want that edition!
    Only First Class. :lol:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Twojgrams, Wait till 'ya see the new pontoon retro-fit! ;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf