Options

Anything we should know about traveleing with our T@B in Canada versus the U.S.?

gkillmastergkillmaster Member Posts: 89
We drove across the U.S. (we are from the U.S.) and are thinking of heading back through Canada. Are there any issues bringing the trailer into Canada that would be good to know about?

Any tips on such a trip too would be very welcomed. We are thinking of doing this one below (just the section from East to West:
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/04/07/best-canada-road-trip-cross-canada_n_7020650.html

many thanks,

Greg K

Comments

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Passports? :) No idea!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited July 2017
    Google "travel from the US through Canada".

There is a long list of what you cannot have with you, a list of things you must have with you. Pets must have documentation of current vaccinations, a specific type of bear spray is allowed, but not others . Google is your friend. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited July 2017
    I think a lot of it depends on where you are entering into Canada from the US.  You will need your passport for entry through customs and if you are a registered owner of a handgun and have a concealed carry permit, make sure you leave your firearm at home, and be ready for an interrogation as you basically have no rights entering into another country and will be grilled good.  You should also not take along eggs and I believe citrus products and need to check the protocol for entry (the do's & don't if you will) into Canada as eggs were not allowed and there are other items that will be confiscated upon entry.  

I would steer clear of any handgun style firearms as they are certainly banned and illegal in Canada and irregardless of whether long guns are permitted I would also leave them back home too.  We came up through North Dakota, headed up toward Winnipeg and it took us an hour to get through customs after pulling up to the checkpoint.  They went through both trailers and after an extensive interrogation and questioning we were permitted to cross over and it was uneventful after that.  

One thing we encountered was that all gas stations required a credit card with chips to pump gas at the pump.  We entered back in July of 2015 and were headed up to Alaska.  If you don't have a credit card with a chip you will have to go inside the station and they will scan your card inside.  I would also get some currency at the exchange station at the border or prior to entry as having Canadian currency will ease your ability to purchase food, etc.  I would at least get $100-200 in currency and according to the length of your stay.  I'm guessing you will get a bigger bang for your buck too as I believe our dollar is worth more now than the Canadian dollar?  

Other than that, things were fine, we did find campgrounds along the way and the provincial parks up in Canada are well constructed, well maintained and beautiful areas.   If I go back I certainly will search out the provincial parks as Canadians know how to lay them out, the campsites were beautiful, private and peaceful! 

This will help too:

Canada Travel FAQ

All international travellers must carry acceptable identification and a valid visa (if necessary) when entering Canada. A passport is recommended because it is the only reliable and universally-accepted travel and identification document for the purpose of international travel. International transport companies, such as airlines, must make sure that travellers have proper, valid travel documents. If you do not have the proper documents, you may be delayed or unable to board the plane.

When you enter Canada, a border services officer will ask to see your passport and a valid visa, if you are arriving from a country for which one is required. Visit the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website to learn more about what travel documents are required.

Citizens of the U.S. who are members of the NEXUS program may present their membership card to the CBSA as proof of identification and as a document that denotes citizenship, when arriving by air, land, or marine modes.

Citizens of the U.S. who are members of the FAST program may use their cards as proof of identity when arriving by land and marine modes only.

Permanent residents of the U.S. who are members of the NEXUS or FAST programs must travel with a passport and proof of permanent residence, and may be asked to present these documents to the officer upon arrival at the border.

Permanent residents of the U.S. who are members of NEXUS also need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) when flying to or transiting through Canada. Citizens of the U.S. and Canada are exempted.

All visitors arriving from or transiting through the U.S. are encouraged to visit the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website for information concerning the U.S. Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, and the requirements to enter or return to the U.S.

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    blackc2004blackc2004 Member Posts: 117
    I took my trailer into canada with no problem, but I crossed in the middle of no where the guy basically just waived me through. 

I did have a problem coming back into the USA though because I had my dog food in individual baggies and I had to throw it all away because they require it to be in the original bag.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I took my trailer into canada with no problem, but I crossed in the middle of no where the guy basically just waived me through. 

I did have a problem coming back into the USA though because I had my dog food in individual baggies and I had to throw it all away because they require it to be in the original bag.
    Good points!   If you have a pet traveling with you make sure you have accurate and verified medical records for your pets as this is required too.  You can get documentation from your veterinarian and should expect to be asked for these documents if you have a pet inside your vehicle.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    The trailer itself should pose no special challenges getting in or out. I've had agents ask to look inside once or twice, but as I recall that's been coming back into the U.S.

Otherwise, the usual guidelines others have mentioned apply regardless of what you are driving. Leave your guns and pepper spray at home. There are limits on the amount of alcohol and tobacco you can bring in duty free, though they are not necessarily strictly enforced. Concern over food items varies (though the only time I've ever had anything taken was coming back to Nova Scotia from Newfoundland). Forget the whole idea if anyone in your party has has a DUI, even if they are not driving. It's really pretty easy, just don't lie and don't try to hide stuff.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,653
    I love funny autocorrects:  "Pets must have documentation of current vacations."
    What a perfect world that would be.

Take a second to think when you see a mileage or speed sign.  80 KPH is 50 MPH.  Speed limits in Canada are generally lower.

Convert Kilometers to Miles
    http://www.rapidtables.com/convert/length/km-to-mile.htm

The weirdest "conversion" for me was gas prices.  Convert Liters to gallons, the price of a gallon converted into Canadian money at the dollar exchange rate or something like that.......oooof.  I gave up, eventually, but here is a rough conversion:

x/L * 3.76 * .9 = cost per USG in USD

Where:

x = current cost per litre in CDND
    3.76 = # of litres in a US gallon
    0.9 = rough estimate of exchange rate (you won't get that from a bank but you can play with that as you see fit)

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    edited July 2017
    There is nothing specific with regards to the trailer AFAIK.  Perhaps have the ownership on hand if you don't typically.

Sometimes the border guards may have a lot of questions with regards to what you have in the trailer, especially with regards to foods.  There are numerous fresh items you cannot cross with.  You may find it helpful to have a printed list of your contents to pass to the border guard. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I love funny autocorrects:  "Pets must have documentation of current vacations."
    What a perfect world that would be.

Sunny Day is always on vacation!  Corrected....thanks ;). You should see some of the ones I catch before submitting :s
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    edited July 2017
    We ust returned from Quebec for the second time this year.  We have found that going in is a bit easier then going out.  We have never been asked about food going in but the US officials always ask.  We make sure to consume all fresh foods or we stop at the duty free and dump what we have left.  Even if you brought the food with you from the US you can not return with it.

Going in the biggest concern is weapons, not just firearms but pepper spray and knives as well.  I have always replied that I have no weapons even though there is a chefs knife and a paring knife in my galley. One day I may by a really cheap chefs knife and bring that instead and then ask about it at the border.

The next biggest concert coming in is gifts that will be left behind.  Never had any to declare. 

Coming out we have brought back two cases of beer and a couple of growlers.  I think officially you are allowed 2 cases (per person I think).

When we have traveled with out dog we declare we have him and there have been no others questions asked.  I always have his vaccination records and registration records.  If the border guard thinks that the animal may be sick he can require that a Canadian veterinarian inspect the animal and I have heard that there can be quite a wait for one to show up.  You can get a certificate of health from your veterinarian just before the start of your trip and this can help avoid being held up.  I have traveled with and without this paper work but I try to have it with me.  Also some Provinces have rules against pit bulls and probably some similar dogs.  Check before you go.  If you camp in public campgrounds most in Quebec will not allow dogs.  I am not sure of the rules in other provinces.  I know that Canadian National parks allow dogs with the usual restrictions.  Also beware that Quebec often calls provincial parks national parks.

Cash - I go to Canada enough that I usually have 60 or so Canadian dollars from the prior trip.  If not we will stop at a bank to get cash from the ATM.  I think this rate is much better then most exchanges.  I charge as much as I can on my Capital One card.  This is the best rate I can get.  Also be sure to call your card companies and let them know you will be out of the country.

You can still use not chip cards but it is a pain.  At gas stations you have to pay inside.  In any case you have to sign.  The rest of the world uses a pin number with their chip cards.

The best thing to do is to search google look at both the official pages, the pages of pet advocacy groups and travel groups.  Just because I have had good luck doesn't mean I know everything or that I won't have an issue the next time. 

On our first trip in May this year we made a wrong turn coming back from Montreal and ended crossing at a very small station in Vermont.  Guess what, this was the only time they inspected the inside of my T@B.

Going back in three weeks.  
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

• Options
    blackc2004blackc2004 Member Posts: 117
    edited July 2017
    Also some Provinces have rules against pit bulls and probably some similar dogs.  
    This is a very good point... Ontario is VERY strict about pit bull "type" of dogs. They will be immediately seized and euthanized. My dog is an American Staffordshire Terrier, Bull Terrier, Chow Chow, German Shepherd so she stays home when we go to Ontario.

The legislation defined “pit bulls” as pit bull terriers, American Staffordshire terriers, Staffordshire bull terriers, American pit bull terriers, or any dog that has an appearance “substantially similar” to those breeds. 

RE dogs in parks:
    I used to have a house in Saskatoon and I know that Saskatchewan and Alberta are very dog friendly in the parks. I haven't been to a park in either where there were restrictions on dogs.
  • Options
    KBaggins1KBaggins1 Member Posts: 135
    We just got back from Alberta and all the parks were full of dogs. Don't know about getting across the border with them but once you are in Canada nothing to worry about. Something to look up if you have a Pitbull I am not certain but that may be just a Toronto restriction. Food restrictions are the same going both ways, they always ask about citrus fruits and meat. Even if your fruit says it came from California on it they will not let you take it back in to the USA. Change your money at a Canadian bank, much lower charges than at the border. You can also use an ATM at the banks and your home bank should give you a decent rate. Don't throw your US money away at retailers like Macdonalds that advertize a fair exchange rate, they usually give about 10% when a fair exchange is around 30%. If you have bear spray, do not call it pepper spray. No problem with bear spray but pepper spray is considered a no no at Canada border crossings. Even if it is the same thing as far as I know. You can rent bear spray at outdoor stores in Alberta and BC, If you use it you have to buy it but if not it is 5 or 10 bucks for a week. If you are unsure of anything, tell the customs guard everything you have on board and they will sort it all out. Most of the time they will ask very specific questions, just answer to the best of your knowledge. And take your sunglasses off before the crossing and shut your cell phones off.  
    2014 T@B M@XS;  2017 Ford Transit Low Roof, Reg. Wheel Base