Options

A/C vent cover custom fabricated

I fabrcated this custom A/C door so rain, wash water, cool drafts will not get in my A/C cabinet. It looks and works great! I ended up building 5 of them with the left over diamond plate. I have 1 left if anyone wants to buy one. Cost is 200 + shipping. Comes with all hardware to install.  Easy install and modification. I may make more if there is enough interest. All hardware is stainless so no rusting! Does not fit on some clam shell models. Questions, you can email john@coolparrot.com 

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Nice!  Spring loaded latch, side supports and no worries about water entry as it's sealed around the edges too.  I love these kinds of custom projects and you did a great job!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    hymiehymie Member Posts: 150
    Just finished our version of this great mod. I added foam blocks between the louvers to help keep the hot and cold air separate.
    James & Jacquie     Almonte, Ontario
    2016 Jeep Cherokee & 2017 T@B Outback
  • Options
    CoolparrotCoolparrot Member Posts: 18
    Very cool! Nice job/design.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    You guys really outdid yourselves with these two designs. Very impressive. However, both seem to render the stock white grill superfoulous. Any particular reason for leaving it in place?
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    To keep the bug screen attached? @Tabaz?
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,495
    Hey Mike and Verna, any chance nuCamp would add this mod as an upgrade or sell it in their upcoming online store?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Nice job guys!!!! @Coolparrot & @hymie!!!! @hymie, Good thinkin' on the louvers & foam blocks. How much does it help your A/C efficiency?
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    SAM said:
    Hey Mike and Verna, any chance nuCamp would add this mod as an upgrade or sell it in their upcoming online store?
    I'm guessing that this is more labor intensive than nuCamp would want to take on unless they could have them made up at a competitive price.  They do have as you know, the vinyl cover that you can buy and that basically snaps on across the face of the grill and costs around $20.   
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Michigan_Mike, I agree with the cover issue, but a better ventilating system needs to be incorporated to "exhaust" the hot air from the inside. The auxillary fan was a good idea, but not efficient enough to exhaust enough of the accumulation inside the A/c compartment. IMHO. After looking at @Dalehelman's mod for this issue, and the one that @hymie just did, the louvers indeed address the issue better. Just a thought.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    The small black vent at the top of the trailer just doesn't seem to allow much air flow for the AC unit.  @hymie, how much of a difference have you found in your over all efficiency of the AC unit with the divider above?  I believe that therein lies the problem/solution for units with the grill and will bring this up at the rally when I speak to the nuCamp R&D reps.  I have discussed this with Pop-T@B and we both concur that some time of (even an add-on) cowling could be designed that fits over the grill, provides separation in the incoming/outgoing flow of air and would improve the efficiency and amount of cooling that takes place with these units.  Shawn did improve his efficiency using his homemade cowling and in conjunction to attaching rare earth magnets to keep it in place.  

Some very creative/innovative work above and should help on all fronts!  2thumbsgif
  • Options
    Thanks Mike.  We have that cover.
  • Options
    @Tabaz the stock grill does very little except direct the air down.

@Ratkity the bug screen is held on using metal duct tape which does not hold. Replaced with red tyvec tape which sticks like crazy.

@Michigan_Mike lol. We live in Canada. Haven't had to use ac yet. Stands to reason that separating the air flow can only work better! I think that @Dalehelman identified this correctly as an issue that needed a solution.

Thanks to all for the great ideas!

PS Working on a fix for the pahaque tent roof not shedding water well. Looks good so far. I will post when complete. Stay tuned!

Cheers from site 61 Bonnecher provincial park!
  • Options
    hymie said:

@Michigan_Mike lol. We live in Canada. Haven't had to use ac yet. Stands to reason that separating the air flow can only work better! I think that @Dalehelman identified this correctly as an issue that needed a solution.
    The only thing you guys need up there is a full-standby case of mosquito spray handy!   =)
  • Options
    Hymie, we used collapsible tent poles and some PVC.  Works like a charm.

• Options
    @Michigan_Mike. Had occasion to test the ac in 90 degree weather (full sun). There is a strong blast of hot air from the centre exhaust that dissapates several feet from the grill. Very little spill over to the cold intake. Only design change that I will be considering is to extend the fins further. Overall I am delighted with how well this works.

Ps the mosquitoes say hi! Drank their fill this last couple of days at Bonnechere provincial park.
  • Options
    richardlacroixrichardlacroix Member Posts: 16
    Michigan Mike, could you please post the URL of the web site with the $20 canvas cover for the A/C grill; Thanks

Richard Lacroix
    Ellen & Richard Lacroix | 2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude V6 | T@B Max S 2017
  • Options
    HerFineMessHerFineMess Member Posts: 23
    @Michigan_Mike I know this is probably an expired post, but do you have the information on the 20 dollar cover for the A/C grill? I want to get a cover, but the beautiful diamond plated ones are not in my budget. 

--Meg 
    Mostly A Solo RV Chick 
    T@B Outback
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 
  • Options
    Here is the picture ofthe vinyl cover that you can purchase (via your dealer now).  Simple and effective.  It comes with srlf tapping snaps.

• Options
    NinabeanNinabean Member Posts: 68
    I have the vinyl cover.  When are we suppose to put it on.  ???? Just for storage? 
    2019 T@b 400 “Hazel”   Towed with a 2013 Ford F-150 STX  4X4 SuperCab 5.0L
    table mod
  • Options
    You can put it on for storage, but be sure to remove it when towing.  We use ours when it is cold and windy.
  • Options
    I never had any issues with it traveling.  I left mine on full time and drove out west with it in place as it’s pretty taught snapped in place.  
  • Options
    Wow @Michigan_Mike.  Never thought it could withstand that!
  • Options
    The cover on my 320 was (let’s say) spot on.  When it snapped into place it was tight.  The only thing I had to do was to make sure I took it off when I ran the AC.  😄
  • Options
    NinabeanNinabean Member Posts: 68
    Thank you all for your responses. Thank 
    2019 T@b 400 “Hazel”   Towed with a 2013 Ford F-150 STX  4X4 SuperCab 5.0L
    table mod
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 542
    Another take on an A/C cover for a 400. Made from plexiglass with Dzus fasteners. The graphics are a result of playing with DW’s scanncut  we are using the cover to put National park stickers  
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,502
    DenisP said:
    Another take on an A/C cover for a 400. Made from plexiglass with Dzus fasteners. The graphics are a result of playing with DW’s scanncut  we are using the cover to put National park stickers  
    It looks great. How did you attach the springs? It seems like there's not much for them to hold onto. Or did you make some kind of backing behind the grate?
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 542
    edited July 2019
    I used Dzus fasteners which have been used in aviation and car racing for years. A quarter turn securely holds the panel.  I purchased them from Chirco Performance & Restoration.

Dzus Spring Retainer W/ Tab Dune Buggy Sand Rail Sold Each | 821104

Dzus Fastener, Self Ejecting Stud Dune Buggy Sand Rail Sold Each | 821100

I used the type that could be pop riveted-on The male part on the plexiglass and the female on the inside of the A/C. I had to take off the cover for the mod which was relatively easy. At the same time I added window screen to the inside of the expanded steel A/C cover to keep bugs and small critters out. 
    Here is the latest picture with our added National Parks stickers from our current trip. 10 US and 4 Canadian so far. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts