Jenn's Thoughts on the T@b 400

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
I crashed Ucamp this afternoon, on a side trip from a visit to see my nephew in Akron. I had the chance to meet some folks including @Cyclonic @skwhee and @Carolyn. I wish I would have had the chance to meet @Michigan_Mike, @Verna , and Sunny Day, but alas, another time. 

Steve and Karen were kind enough to give me a tour of their 400 so I jotted down my thoughts before I forgot them!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

What do you on a humid, overcast Sunday afternoon in July? You crash the inaugural Ucamp event in Sugarcreek, Ohio, of course! After catching Nathan Brown’s photo of his  T@b set up at Winklepleck Grove, I decided I might try to swing by and say, “Hello” to the early arrivals and meet some of my online acquaintances. I swung by Akron, picked my nephew and his girlfriend, and away the three of us, and Rocky, proceeded towards Sugarcreek.

As we approached the grove, I noticed that several T@bs were already parked and set up and more arrived in the short time were were at the campground.  nuCamp picked a splendid venue for their first event. There is a nice sized large pavilion and playground towards the front of the campground and I heard that the bathhouses were on their way. The sites seemed more than adequate in size. They appeared to be larger than the sites at the state park campgrounds where I have stayed in Ohio some trees were spread throughout the campground.

In addition to meeting some fine fellow T@bbers, I had the privilege of getting a personal tour of Steve and Karen’s T@b 400. Steve and Karen were the very first owners of a T@b 400. Steve was buys going over details with another couple during most of the tour, but Karen was extremely knowledgeable and really made an effort to point out all of the fine details. I should point out that there were 5-6 adults in the T@b 400 at once!

Thoughts on the T@b 400

Overall, the T@b 400 is the quality build that I expect from nuCamp. It is evident that they have gone to great lengths to pay attention to detail and have taken advice not only from Steve and Karen who beta tested the 400, but from forum members, as well. I am really disappointed that I forgot to take photos.

• Things I liked:
  • The large inside AGM battery
  • The installed inverter
  • The flooring – very nice!
  • The layout
  • The bathroom is a very comfortable size
  • The subtle mood lighting throughout the 400
  • The electronics panel
  • The fact that it has the Alde
  • The new door
  • The location of the axle
  • The bathroom fan and skylight
  • Storage
  • Fabric accent around the window by the bed.
  • White ceiling

What I would like to see changed

I loved the birch in Steve and Karen’s model. Evidently nuCamp has decided to go grey, instead. This comes down to the debate between the Euro and Ohio craftsman décor. Personally, I do prefer the Euro décor, but I am really concerned that grey will make it feel too dark and make the space seem smaller. If I could give one piece of advice to nuCamp it would be to bring an internal design consulting group and create 2 distinctly different interiors, but keep it light, to help open up the space. I think an interior designer could take the 400 to the next level and I think there would be strong enough interest in both décor options to sell them and not loose money.

The other major change I would like to see nuCamp make is in terms of the outside. I expect that they are mostly selling to Baby Boomers and Gen Xers. The retro decal/almost Route 66 look of the current decals have zero appeal to me. I would love to see some more modern looking graphics. I think there is an opportunity for nuCamp to partner with a graphic designer and maybe a sign shop to sell a unique line of high-quality graphics, and maybe even wraps. I am still pining for a “woody” look, a National Parks edition, or something similar. Truck Camper partnered with Woolrich and Airstream with Eddie Bauer and Pendleton, maybe nuCamp could partner with L.L. Bean, Lands End, or another similar style for a National Parks edition.

I would still like to see some interior design improvements, including an Ultraleather offering. Pet owners have grown to love Ultraleather because of the ease of cleaning up the surface from muddy paws

On Controversial Items

The fridge is very deep, so while it is not a big fridge, it holds a lot of food. Steve and Karen really had a tremendous amount of food packed away. With the large AGM battery and the higher efficiency of the 2-way fridge, nuCamp made the right choice forgoing a three-way fridge on the 400.

Some seem less than thrilled with the Alde because they find it overwhelming. I must admit that the Alde is one of my favorite parts of the T@b. It is extremely efficient, keeps the T@b cozy, and heats up water very nicely. I am glad that they have stuck with the Alde and I think the fact that Airstream has started installing the Alde validates the decision. Alde USA is improving their US offering, and I think in a few years everyone will realize how ahead of their time the folks at nuCamp were when they moved to the Alde.

Would I buy a 400?

Maybe. I expect that nuCamp will eventually come out with an Outback version, which might be more practical, for me. I am not sure there is enough clearance on the current model for some of the boondocking that I do. If I were planning to spend a significant amount of time on the road, again, however, I would be seriously considering an upgrade. The closet is awesome.

Closing Thoughts

I liked the 400 significantly more than I thought I would. Overall, however, I am blown away with the quality offering nuCamp has in the 400 and how they have been able to grow at such a rapid rate and still maintain both quality and first-rate customer service. nuCamp should be proud of their new trailer. I cannot wait to see what they do next!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• blackc2004blackc2004 Member Posts: 117
    "a National Parks edition" would be awesome!!
  • lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    Nice write up.  It looks like a 235 ah battery is standard.  Any idea how long one could expect to boondock with out solar panels with the T@B 400?   
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Nice write up.  It looks like a 235 ah battery is standard.  Any idea how long one could expect to boondock with out solar panels with the T@B 400?   
    Your mileage will vary, depending upon your usage, but it seems lime a weekend to 3-4 days without solar is very do-able. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• HvtymwiltravelHvtymwiltravel Member Posts: 51
    Jenn, You mentioned an installed inverter as a like.  I would like to know where you found an inverter.  Was it optional equipment or standard on later model 400's?  I do not have one on my early 400.
    Wayne
    2017 T@B 400   TV  Colorado Duramax
    Jenn, You mentioned an installed inverter as a like.  I would like to know where you found an inverter.  Was it optional equipment or standard on later model 400's?  I do not have one on my early 400.
    Wayne
    Karen said it was located near the battery, under the bed. She said it was standard. Maybe they made it standard after the first few?

• PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    I see that LG has just announced a large teardrop based on the Tabbert 400 design but with more of an "Amish craftsman" look - will be curious to see how the market responds. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • knoxville1915knoxville1915 Member Posts: 60
    @Hvtymwiltravel @jkjenn The inverter is located behind the battery in the rear storage compartment (or under the bed...it's the same compartment). We have been very pleased with the electrical engineering on our 400 and look forward to dry camping with our new one in the new future!

2018 T@B 400 (Rol@nd) towed by 2012 Toyota Tundra CrewMax (C@lgon)
  • TabbieannecamperTabbieannecamper Member Posts: 32
    Jenn,  Very good article and review of the T@B 400. From what I have seen on the forum and youbube of the 400, I agree with your views. I would also like to see some other option for the interior wood color. We have a 2015 Max-S. It would be great if nuCamp offered the same birch wood work in the 400. Lighter colors give the inside appear roomier. Thanks for you input.
  • HvtymwiltravelHvtymwiltravel Member Posts: 51
    @Hvtymwiltravel @jkjenn The inverter is located behind the battery in the rear storage compartment (or under the bed...it's the same compartment). We have been very pleased with the electrical engineering on our 400 and look forward to dry camping with our new one in the new future!
    Thank you both for the information. It must have been a running change for 2017. I am okay without it given the number of USB charging ports located throughout the camper. 

I will add that we are very happy with our 400. The reasons are the design, quality systems, excellent materials and craftsmanship, and top down, top notch customer service.  We hope to utilize it quite often. It will be our comfortable home away from home as we explore our great country. 

2017 T@B 400   TV  Colorado Duramax
    Photomom said:
    I see that LG has just announced a large teardrop based on the Tabbert 400 design but with more of an "Amish craftsman" look - will be curious to see how the market responds. 
    I haven't seen the LG model.in person, yet, but the axle placement on the 400 looks much better and the approach angle on the LG looks like a serious issue.

• RoameyRoamey Member Posts: 239
    The 400 seems to have retained the cute and curvy look of the European model with the upswept duck tail look and the flowing interior. The LG Max seems to have morphed into more straight, conservative lines inside and out, giving people a distinct choice in preference. It will be interesting to see which way the market leans. 
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    My wife and I were able to look at a 400 over memorial weekend.  While we were overall quite pleased with the build quality, we had a couple of concerns. 
    -One was the floor material seems as though it would be difficult to clean.  Any experience with the floor? 
    -The other concern of mine is that the fridge is still too small.  I am fine with the 12V/110V fridge, in fact I think that technology is better than gas absorption.  With the advent of solar power and advances in batteries, the need for gas absorption is not so necessary.  When is the last time you saw a thread on this forum with a malfunctioning 12v fridge?  If they were to switch out one of the cupboard areas to the location where the wheel well isn't in the way they could put a 4.7cu ft. fridge that has .6 cubic ft. freezer.  I might get tempted.

Regarding cosmetic appearances I would much prefer the inside to be all birch instead of the grey plastic wood grain laminate.  I admit it is just personal taste, but at this price it counts.

I do not care for the graphics on the outside.  The graphics are what I dislike in so many "big ugly boxes" on wheels.  I would like the same treatments the 320's have and/or I second JKJenn's attraction to the woody look.

John

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

jcfaber1 said:
    My wife and I were able to look at a 400 over memorial weekend.  While we were overall quite pleased with the build quality, we had a couple of concerns. 
    -One was the floor material seems as though it would be difficult to clean.  Any experience with the floor? 
    -The other concern of mine is that the fridge is still too small.  I am fine with the 12V/110V fridge, in fact I think that technology is better than gas absorption.  With the advent of solar power and advances in batteries, the need for gas absorption is not so necessary.  When is the last time you saw a thread on this forum with a malfunctioning 12v fridge?  If they were to switch out one of the cupboard areas to the location where the wheel well isn't in the way they could put a 4.7cu ft. fridge that has .6 cubic ft. freezer.  I might get tempted.

Regarding cosmetic appearances I would much prefer the inside to be all birch instead of the grey plastic wood grain laminate.  I admit it is just personal taste, but at this price it counts.

I do not care for the graphics on the outside.  The graphics are what I dislike in so many "big ugly boxes" on wheels.  I would like the same treatments the 320's have and/or I second JKJenn's attraction to the woody look.

John

The big AGM battery really helps slim are the need for L.P. for the fridge. As far as size, it is pretty deep and Steve and Karen had a ton of food inside. It is much bigger than the fridge for the 320's. 

I didn't ask about the floor, but Steve and Karen have been nearly FT in it over the last few months and it still looked brand new. I honestly think that the look could make it seem harder to clean than it actually is. But, it is a good question.

• RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Just a thought... many big Class A's and other big campers with 50A service are switching their frigs to a regular kitchen frig. The jostling down the road does affect the lifespan, but it cools better and their vehicle can handle the power pull of the more energy efficient frigs. I thought it was a good idea. Replacement price is truly worth just one replacement of an ammonia-based frig in the long run. I just read it in a blog, so this is not first hand experience. 

On the flip-side, manufacturers are putting 30A inverters into very large rigs (35' with 2-3 slide-outs). Drops cost and they put in the manual that they expect the owner to use propane for the frig, hot water heater and furnace. Apparently, the HW heater is a 110V hog. My friend flipped his main breaker several times until he went on the net about his brand of camper. A household frig would not work in that situation. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    There are 3 good 12 V fridge manufacturers that I know of.  Norcold, Vitrifrigo, and Indelwebasto.  The first is made in Canada and the other two are made in Italy.  They are designed for marine use.  There's no reason that these won't work in RV's.  I prefer to stay native 12/24 volt and avoid the use of an inverter.  We do a lot of boondocking.  I prefer to avoid the use of a generator.  I am tempted to get a t@da and modify it to take a larger fridge.

John

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• blackc2004blackc2004 Member Posts: 117
    I have a question on the dinette bed, how big is it exactly? Is it big enough for (2) people?
  • AlanAlan Member Posts: 120
    Based on what see in ours, only very small people
    I have a question on the dinette bed, how big is it exactly? Is it big enough for (2) people?
    I believe they said it was a queen size bed. It looked a little smaller than the 320 S Max

jcfaber1 said:
    There are 3 good 12 V fridge manufacturers that I know of.  Norcold, Vitrifrigo, and Indelwebasto.  The first is made in Canada and the other two are made in Italy.  They are designed for marine use.  There's no reason that these won't work in RV's.  I prefer to stay native 12/24 volt and avoid the use of an inverter.  We do a lot of boondocking.  I prefer to avoid the use of a generator.  I am tempted to get a t@da and modify it to take a larger fridge.

John
    And internationally made fridge might be more practical for an individual than for mass production, but it would be worth investigating.

• DrewcarrieDrewcarrie Member Posts: 26
    jcfaber1 said:

John

We ordered ours without graphics all together. They make great wraps these days or we might just keep it plain.

We ordered ours without graphics all together. They make great wraps these days or we might just keep it plain.
    They do, but having designers and installers who regularly worked with the units would make it that much easier. 

Jenn, most of the fridges going into RV's are made in China.  Including the ARB, Dometic and Norcold are all made in China.  I think that the 400 is not keeping up with the competition.  For $30-35K you should at least have a 5cu ft like the Lance 1475,1575.  Lance campers are not nearly as attractive in my opinion but are reasonably well made and are at a similar price point.  The Vitrifrigo  fridge would be reasonably close in size and very efficient.  These fridges do not need to be level (up to 30 degrees heel will still work) and do not care about elevation.  They are used mainstream in boating.  We do not eat out a lot and I prepare most of our meals.  Having more space for fresh vegetables and frozen goods would be great.  I would really like to get down to one fridge and sell the ARB.  I do not want to lug around 50 pound coolers/fridges because the one in the camper doesn't quite cut it.  

http://www.vitrifrigo.com/us/us/c130rbd4-f-external-cooling-unit

Drewcarrie - I am glad to hear that you can order without the graphics.  I would consider that a great option.  

John

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

jcfaber1 said:
    Jenn, most of the fridges going into RV's are made in China.  Including the ARB, Dometic and Norcold are all made in China.  I think that the 400 is not keeping up with the competition.  For $30-35K you should at least have a 5cu ft like the Lance 1475,1575.  Lance campers are not nearly as attractive in my opinion but are reasonably well made and are at a similar price point.  The Vitrifrigo  fridge would be reasonably close in size and very efficient.  These fridges do not need to be level (up to 30 degrees heel will still work) and do not care about elevation.  They are used mainstream in boating.  We do not eat out a lot and I prepare most of our meals.  Having more space for fresh vegetables and frozen goods would be great.  I would really like to get down to one fridge and sell the ARB.  I do not want to lug around 50 pound coolers/fridges because the one in the camper doesn't quite cut it.  

http://www.vitrifrigo.com/us/us/c130rbd4-f-external-cooling-unit

Drewcarrie - I am glad to hear that you can order without the graphics.  I would consider that a great option.  

John

FYI, I talked to some folks and in the east you should be able to get one under $30k. You might have to haggle with some of the dealers but you can do better.

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited July 2017
    FWIW, production of the T@B 400 is backed up out into April 2018 so they certainly are popular and in demand at the moment.  Just sayin'   =)
    Dealers want as many as they can get.....  nuCamp is running four lines of production too, the T@G, T@B 320 line, T@B 400 and the Cirrus truck campers so they are busy and not letting any grass grow between their toes down in SC.

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Justin_in_SeattleJustin_in_Seattle Member Posts: 47
    edited August 2017
    Jenn, thank you for the well thought out write-up.

We ordered our 400 without the external graphics. IMHO, those graphics clash so badly with the overall aesthetic that I'm surprised the graphics were approved by management.

Regarding dinette size... We tested it at the dealership in their demo unit. The dinette bed is easily large enough for my 10 year old son to sleep in, with plenty of extra head room.  Laying slightly diagonally, he has about 6"-8" more room in the dinette bed before we need to upgrade to a bigger RV. : )

Ours arrives next month -- can't wait! :)
    2018 nuCamp T@B 400  +  2016 BMW X1 tow vehicle
  • atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    Looking at the lot with all that inventory just sitting there (our's being one)  makes one wonder about the distribution set up.  We have known for some time from a local dealer that they wait until they have a full load to a dealer before it is shipped. We know they are in a rapid growth on many fronts but if the owners and dealers can't get them it may be a  problem. 
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab