Options

New solar panels on 2017/18 T@B

I was watching this cool video about the new features on T@B Outback. I was really intrigued to see the option to have solar panels mounted on the roof.  But...looking at this video, it appears that there may be a bunch of wiring junk on the roof.  Does anyone know anything about this? It looks a bit sloppy.

https://youtu.be/Wz9sEZARyK0?t=132 

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I've seen the new panels from ground level and since the wiring is centered and located just a bit in front of the roof vent I doubt you'd really ever notice or see the wiring.   

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    This comment can apply to these panels and the ones on the new 400.  Being a New Englander  and often camping in the shade I have an  issue with panels that are on the roof of the T@B.  I have the ZAMP 160 watt suitcase panels and the 15 foot extension cable.  This past weekend I was camped in partial shade which kept the camper cooler but would have limited charging if my panels were on the roof.  In the morning I was able to place the panels pretty far behind the camper to get full sun and in the evening I was able to move them pretty far in front. So being able to move the panels to an optimal location was very handy.  Not having to carry the suitcase would be great but being able to move the panels to different locations is a big plus.  I'd like to hear how people who have roof mounted their panels are making out with them.  
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    The is pretty much how I thought I would mount the panels if I ever mounted so that they didn't make the whole T@b look bad.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    TrailpixieTrailpixie Member Posts: 161
    I figured that I'd combine a 100watt suitcase with this 150 watt roof-mounted solar panel. This should keep me in good shape for most ci cumstances. Combining those two with a second battery should be very safe. 

In other discussions I have seen mentions that  charging from the TV sometimes can't keep up with the frig running in 12v mode.  Apparently the solar panels on the roof allow you to arrive at the site with all the batteries topped off (except after dark, of course).
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    MandyLea said:

Regarding what they will charge:
    To be honest, solar is a new world to even the nuCamp people and there are so many variables that its not very straight forward. I have done a lot of boondocking since I got the camper in April. It will not run the A/C. It will not run any 110v outlets (it just charges your battery, you are still using your battery). It will not keep up with your fridge running on battery (sorry, keep it on propane!). But, it WILL keep my laptop charged plugged in all day long if I'm in the sun (I use an inverter in the 12V plug), keep phones and other electrical devices charged, run the TV and DVD player all day.

I'm still finding its limits. While it's not perfect, it offers us something to get off grid and overall I love it. Small, easy to manage, and useful.
    Hi @MandyLea - your limitations are likely more from your battery capacity than solar. You would need a beefy battery bank to think about running an a/c off of solar. It can be done, but the challenge you run into is that the load size can hurt your overall battery life. I might be wrong, but I think this might be an advantage of a lithium conversion. I know that someone on the FB group picked up a Goal Zero Yeti 1000 lithium, only available at Costco, and was able to run the a/c in the T@b (directly from the a/c) for 2.5 hours. It's not amazing, but it something. You might not care about the a/c but using the battery for a/c does get asked from time to time.

RE: the fridge - a point of clarification for newer folks. there is a huge difference in the battery draw between the 3 way and 2 way fridges. The 3 way draws close to 12 ah where the 2 way draws less than 3 ah. This set-up, assuming you are parked in an area with zero shade, could be sufficient for the 2 way.

Last note. The slightest shadow can significantly impact your solar performance. The fan can cast a shadow. The stock fan, open, might cast the lease, but the Maxx Air and adding the Fantastic Fan cover would both increase the profile of the fan and therefore increase the profile of the shadow. I am not saying that it would totally compromise the value of the panels being mounted and some use so little power that the shadow would not make a difference, but it does have somewhat of an impact. 

Some people will, understandably be drawn to the crock pot, or "fix it and forget it" benefit of the mounted solar panels.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    We added 200 watts of solar or two panels, which adds more wiring too. My mounting is not as slick as that one, but pretty nice in my estimation. We also have two 100 ah AGM batteries which give us a pretty substantial battery bank, that can be drawn down to 80% and charge up 5 times faster than flooded. On the road when Jen @Sandiegogal was using her 1200 watt hair dryer off of our 1500 watt inverter, we would only draw the battery bank down to 12.5 and that was recovered by noon. We also have the advantage of being able to add portable solar panels should we need them. We have a generic 60 watt panel that is very manageable size wise and stores nicely in the TV should we need it.

http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/5175/permanent-200-watt-flexible-solar-install

http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/5206/1500-watt-puresine-wave-inverter

2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @MandyLea, Thanks for the write-up on the panels. Like anything else, solar is a tool, and has it's limitations in a variety of ways. I know from using my panels which are mobile, there are still limitations. Adjusting/adapting to these limitations is important for the battery storage capabilities. Please keep us posted/updated on your thoughts on the built-in panels. I have been intrigued since I first saw them incorporated as an option. Thanks.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    DrewcarrieDrewcarrie Member Posts: 26
    So my 400 came with them mounted, advice from Arizona dealer. Utah dealer wasn't charging extra. The cords don't show and hey they are there and working whenever they get sun. Problem is they showed me the zamp outlet on a 320 thinking that's how they all come. Well the 400 showed up without a plug in port, and I bought an extra panel and zamp cord. Anyone know what the best option is for connecting it now? By the way everyone at the dealer was impressed, they have never seen panels from a factory
  • Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    @Drewcarrie are you going with another fixed flexible or are you planning to use as portable? Because if it is portable and the zamp cable..... their plugs are easy to find and install on your box.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,654
    Or, you could just go from the solar controller to the battery with simple alligator clips.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited September 2017
    So my 400 came with them mounted, advice from Arizona dealer. Utah dealer wasn't charging extra. The cords don't show and hey they are there and working whenever they get sun. Problem is they showed me the zamp outlet on a 320 thinking that's how they all come. Well the 400 showed up without a plug in port, and I bought an extra panel and zamp cord. Anyone know what the best option is for connecting it now? By the way everyone at the dealer was impressed, they have never seen panels from a factory
    The best thing you can do is access the battery and hook the Zamp solar port leads to it.  And as I recall the battery is in a tight/hard to access location, so this might require some time and patience.  If it were me and it does seem that the battery in the 400 is mounted near the rear of the trailer, I would keep the Zamp port closest to the side where everything else is located (e.g., the CATV port, electric, sewer, etc.) for ease of use and convenience.   This should be an option (they have stopped installing the Zamp ports) but should also serve notice to others purchasing the trailers to ask before the final build order goes in as solar is attractive to those familiar with it and will use it.  With that said, stay close to the battery with the Zamp plug and you undoubtedly will need to splice on an additional length(s) of wire (of the same size) to make things work.  

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Factory noticed this insight. Nucamp service guy said to put the outlet just outside of storage hatch by the battery, but like u said I can go on other side by the utility hatch. Then the cord wouldn't be on the camping side. Thirty feet isn't very long in the woods. So far my two roof mounts are powering the battery well. Some people are not getting solar but the trailer was the same price with them. Found a Yamaha 2000is for a great price so I don't know if a third rigid solar panel is overkill or just giving me options. We are most always off grid camping and with so much water capacity, we can be out there for a long time. I like the piece and quiet of solar.
  • Options
    Has anyone put a simple amp reader unit inline somewhere so they can see where they're at on power so we don't have to duck our heads under bed, another insight for some reason from factory. Is this part of the theory of having a generator and starting it up and topping it off if battery is low
  • Options
    skwheeskwhee Member Posts: 246
    @Drewcarrie
    If we recall correctly you have a 400. Is your solar controller under the bed a Grape Solar device like the one the factory installed in our 400? If so, did you get the information on the Solar app for Android or iPhone? That's what the factory intended although perhaps some dealers are not clued into that. It's what we use and find it exceedingly useful.
    Steve and Karen Cullowhee, North Carolina 2008 Ford F150 --2018 T@B 400
  • Options
    No, NO ONE has told us about the app. I knew more than my dealer... he kept telling me. Nor the few I talked to at factory. Thanks skwhee!
  • Options
    Ok skwhee where do I find the app? It's not under grape solar. More info would be great. I can't wait to try it
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited September 2017
    Found this on Amazon posted on July 18th under questions for one of their controllers --
    The manufacturer has an app available via email on request that can run on androids and iphones providing more info plus daily logs and graphs. It seems to be very useful information and well worth the trouble of requesting and installing the software to connect via Bluetooth.  
    http://grapesolar.com/contact.php                
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    skwheeskwhee Member Posts: 246
    Drewcarrie 
    You can find the app in the iPhone app store by searching for "solar app nansong zhang". Once you have downloaded the app, you'll need the admin password: 135790123

For the Android app, email support@grapesolar.com and request the app for the Grape Solar 40A Controller. 
    Steve and Karen Cullowhee, North Carolina 2008 Ford F150 --2018 T@B 400