Power Cord LED

GrandmasKidGrandmasKid Member Posts: 159
The red LED on my power cord that came with my T@B has gone out. The blue light on the other end is fine and everything electrical inside seems fine. We need to leave in two days to make our reservation in Colorado's Molas Lake, which is about 1700 miles away for us. Do I need to buy a new cord? The one we have is less than a year old. Mostly we'll be running on solar and propane over the next three weeks with only a few nights with hookups but I don't want to have to buy one while traveling. Any help is greatly appreciated.
2021 400 Boondock/ 2021 Toyota Tacoma Off Road

Comments

• RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Personally, I wouldn't worry about a dead LED, but you can call your dealer and have them send you a new cord. That way you'll have a backup!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Lil_LucyLil_Lucy Member Posts: 82
    I have the same problem but with the blue light on the other end. I guess as long as one of them is still working, it lets you know you have power coming in.
    2016 T@b 320 Max-S (Silver/Red Trim) / TV: 2019 Ford Flex
    "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
  • GrandmasKidGrandmasKid Member Posts: 159
    Has anyone been using theirs for a long time with a LED light out? I don't spend money just to spend it. 
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @GrandmasKid, :rofl:, That's a funny one! You DO own a T@B don't you??? :o
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

@GrandmasKid, let me translate @ericnliz's laughter.... the majority of us *need* Amazon Prime because of all the gadgets, decor, some (lots) of potentially unneeded items, and a few truly necessary items. :wink: I am guilty of spending more money on extras and mods for my T@B than any other trailer I've owned in over 20 years! :lol:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    Yep, I'm as guilty as anyone else on that one. That's why it made me laugh! ;)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    Hey! I don't even have second LED on my power cord!

Hmmm. Maybe that's why people keep tellin' me I'm a bulb short...
    2015 T@B S
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    GrandmasKid - if you bought your trailer new from the dealer, you are under warranty.  Why not call Elsie and confirm that using the cord without the LED is safe and you will feel more confident.  They may offer to replace it if necessary.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    @ScottG, Are 'ya sure that's the ONLY reason? :lol:
    Spokane, Wa.

ericnliz, I ain't sure of nuthin'...

Seriously, @GrandmasKid, I'd bet more than a few nickles the little LED tells you nothing more than you have power in the cord. As you have already determined, you can answer that question easily enough by plugging it in and seeing if it works. (ericnliz and Ratkity might opt to stick their tongues on the contacts, but they are professionals and I don't recommend that approach for regular people!)

If you're really worried, pick up an inexpensive outlet tester from almost anywhere. You can use it to test the outlet you are plugging onto (if it's a 15/20 amp), and you can use it to test the outlets in the T@B. If there is a wiring problem (like an open ground) the tester will tell you that right away. Just keep in mind such issues can stem from things other than your power cord.

2015 T@B S
    ScottG said:
    ericnliz, I ain't sure of nuthin'...

Seriously, @GrandmasKid, I'd bet more than a few nickles the little LED tells you nothing more than you have power in the cord. As you have already determined, you can answer that question easily enough by plugging it in and seeing if it works. (ericnliz and Ratkity might opt to stick their tongues on the contacts, but they are professionals and I don't recommend that approach for regular people!)

If you're really worried, pick up an inexpensive outlet tester from almost anywhere. You can use it to test the outlet you are plugging onto (if it's a 15/20 amp), and you can use it to test the outlets in the T@B. If there is a wiring problem (like an open ground) the tester will tell you that right away. Just keep in mind such issues can stem from things other than your power cord.

I was really just wondering if the light going out means the cord is likely to go bad soon.    

ScottG said:
    Hey! I don't even have second LED on my power cord!

Hmmm. Maybe that's why people keep tellin' me I'm a bulb short...
    Does that mean that it went out or that there isn't a LED on your cord? Thanks. 
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @GrandmasKid, I would guess the LED just burnt out and nothing is wrong with your cord. I do not have LED's on my cord , so I either test it (not normally unless there is a problem) or I just plug it into the portable surge suppressor which tells me the power is good on that end. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    @GrandmasKid, my power cord came with only a single red light, located on the T@B end.

RV power cords are pretty simple and sturdy things, so it's unlikely one is going to "go bad" either abruptly or gradually unless it sustains some serious damage. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said of little LED lights.

I suggested the tester on the off chance that your light is actually an indicator of something other than power (like an open ground). That's highly unlikely, and even then it would probably trace to your power source rather than the cord itself.

If your trailer is getting power and everything works normally, I say camp on and save your pennies!
    2015 T@B S
  • MudsharkMudshark Member Posts: 21
    Never hurts to have an extra power cord. Last campground we stopped at, we had wide spot and I needed my extra cord to reach the power source. Sure glad I bought it at a Walmart instead of the campground store.
    2016 T@b M@x CS-S White with black trim. 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4. White Lake Mi.
    Hey @ScottG, I can get a great jolt of energy with them prongs. Almost as good as coffee in the morning - almost.

I only have one LED on my power cord. I've had 4 campers in my life, I had one for 13 yrs. That cord never had an LED (old school) and never frayed or failed. The cords aren't bullet (or mower) proof, but they are pretty tough.
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    The blue light on mine went out last summer. I didn't bother to replace it, since I have other ways to check the power to see if it's working. Seems like a common problem.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
    Thanks for all the responses. I'm going camping and not worry anymore about it. Thanks again.
    @GrandmasKid, cool, no more worries except what you are cooking during your camping trip!!!!! We all love pictures :wink: Safe travels and happy camping!
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    You'd laugh at my setup right now. 75' of 30 amp power cords and 100' of water hoses. But I have power and water and Sunny Day has A/C if needed.  Normally I only need 50' of power cords, but the hickory tree is losing it's nuts (Eric and Ratkity......) and I wanted a bit further away from it. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    :rofl: V... spit worthy and my morning real LOL. Lucky for my monitor, I've finished my coffee. I think I had too much because I have the giggles now. ROFLMAO.
    :whistle: Sometimes 'ya feel like a nut, sometimes 'ya don't..... :whistle:
    Spokane, Wa.

• rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    edited August 2017
    Verna said:
    You'd laugh at my setup right now. 75' of 30 amp power cords and 100' of water hoses. But I have power and water and Sunny Day has A/C if needed.  Normally I only need 50' of power cords, but the hickory tree is losing it's nuts (Eric and Ratkity......) and I wanted a bit further away from it. 
    I've used every inch of my 50ft of 30A power cord in the past.  I'm sure there will be a day when I will wish for an extra 25ft, but those cords are not cheap, compact, or light.  I often pack a 15A extension cord and adapter to cover the scenario where my 50ft of 30A would not reach. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    Just an FYI, if you need to know whether power is coming into your T@B from shore power, just push the battery button on your inside battery/water level indicator.  It should show 13.6 volts.
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed