Options

T@b 400...worth the upgrade?

Comments

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @roguebooks, just put the @ symbol and type the first letter or two letters of the name and it will show up in a drop down list and select it. It'll now be in blue :).

Dealers will charge as much as the market will bear (almost typed that phonically). My toy hauler at the same dealer jumped up by >$8k from December to June. There's something to say about buying in the off season!

I was willing to drive quite a ways to get my TH. The local dealer wanted the seasonal price. The other one almost 5 hours away was 8k+ less. I calculated gas, time spent there and even calculated a stay in a local park if needed. I was too stoked to do that! It was a long day, but so worth it. Being December, I was nearly the only customer. I felt like a princess! hehe. Goddess would have been better, but I was spending my money, so that title got downgraded hehe.  
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    roguebooksroguebooks Member Posts: 31
    @Ratkity, thanks for the @ tip. Living in Florida almost ten months per year and continually getting my seasons confused, not to mention my days, dates, and months, when exactly is the "off season" for buying T@Bs? I will take your advice. 
    Mike
    Home in Florida/Cabin in Michigan
    Tow Vehicle: Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    Oliver Legacy Elite 18.5
  • Options
    skwheeskwhee Member Posts: 246
    @roguebooks
    - First question: Just type the "@" sign and without leaving a space begin typing the user name you want to tag. After a few keystrokes you can usually just choose the name from a dropdown menu.
    -For the more complicated question regarding options on the 400, we have forwarded your question to a nüCamp representative and will be back with you as soon as we get more information.

Steve and Karen Cullowhee, North Carolina 2008 Ford F150 --2018 T@B 400
  • Options
    @skwhee, I did just find a 400 equipped with what I want and the right color. But it probably won't last by the time I get there in three weeks. I did contact the dealer. So I will appreciate hearing from you on how to go about ordering what I want in case I can't find something already made. Thanks.
    Mike
    Oliver Legacy Elite 18.5
  • Options
    @Ratkity
    Agree that the rooftop solar would work well for keeping the battery charged while not in use assuming that you do not store under roof or under a cover. We opted out of the rooftop solar and instead plug into shore power while it is sitting in our driveway just as we did for the four years we had a 320. That way we can cover her and protect our baby from the elements when we're not out rambling around the country collecting adventures.
  • Options
    @roguebooks
    You should ask questions of any dealer that doesn't happen to have just the unit you are wanting.
    - Are they willing to place an build order for you? Some are more willing than others.
    - Have they reserved any Build Dates that are not already spoken for? Some dealers wait until they get the order (or perhaps three orders), before reserving the Build Date. Others have already made reservations for multiple Build Dates in anticipation of the need for orders that specify the color packages and/or solar option, like you want.
  • Options
    @skwhee, I hate to think this sales rep was telling me an untruth. he said they cannot place any orders for the convenience package or int/ext colors. This dealer resorts to getting what they get from nuCamp. Seems a bit odd to me, and I am disappointed to say the least. Thought I was a better judge of character. No mention of reserving any "build dates" at all. 
    Mike
    Oliver Legacy Elite 18.5
  • Options
    @skwhee, forgot to ask you about the your comment on the solar. I am planning on keeping my 400 in the driveway under a cover and using the solar panels a few days before I head out to the boonies and while out there and on the road. I would most likely plug into the house to keep the batteries charged at home when not using. Is that sensible?
    Mike
    Oliver Legacy Elite 18.5
  • Options
    @roguebooks
    -Driveway storage with a cover is a good option. Note that to our knowledge no one is yet marketing a 400 specific cover but that should be coming in the near future.
    -Opinions differ on the best battery strategy for storage. Some users isolate their battery and put it on a trickle charge while in storage.
    - Our solution for the past few years has been to plug in at the house to keep the battery fully charged. Note that ours is rarely in storage for longer than a month or two, we're in it the majority of the time.
    -If you use either of these methods, there will be no need to use solar prior to heading out for off grid camping.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited August 2017
    atlasb said:
    Hey M. Mike,  Just spent day 2 getting the 400 ready to go.  I think Nu Camp got it right with the storage around the Port hole windows. In fact, every where I look I find more places to take a lot we probably don't need or will ever use.  Wasn't hooked on the graphics, but after seeing it in person, score another one for Nu Camp.  The 400 keeps impressing us the more we are in it!
    I'm very happy for both of you and hope you have some fun adventures while exploring the landscape and that you enjoy your new trailer!  

The 400 is looking more and more as the one for us. Seems we'll have to order one as we do need the solar option and I have never seen a 400 for sale with it already included. Anybody with experience with solar on the 400? 
    The solar plug is easy to install yourself if you are comfortable with these types of projects.  I have two ports installed in the diamond plate tub of my 2015 T@B Max, one for my solar panel, the other for my ARB.  It definitely gives you added capabilities for boondocking and I supplement my power needs via two 6-volt batteries and a 200 watt Zamp portable panel.  Obviously the new 400's have the larger battery and added capability so you should be all set!  Zamp does wire the solar plug opposite conventional quick disconnect plugs, but this is a minor issue and can be easily addressed if you use a panel from a different manufacturer.  

But am guessing it'd be easier to have the plug factory installed as the battery is harder to get to and Steve can probably add to this comment and may have a photo available to post up to give a better idea as to where the solar port can be easily installed relative to the battery.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @roguebooks,  I suggest you speak with another dealer.  We had good results with Haydocy in Columbus.  We visited another dealer that was closer to the factory and they did not leave a good impression.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    @SAM, I already found a dealer who has sent me the order form and I can get whatever I want. I am happy. What I was told never made sense to me. Thanks.
    Mike
    Oliver Legacy Elite 18.5
  • Options
    rhaspyhonkerrhaspyhonker Member Posts: 33
    edited August 2017
    I think I should get some sales commission from nucamp for starting this thread.
  • Options
    AlanAlan Member Posts: 120
    We  are in week 2 of a 2 month trip out west, thru Canada,  and thev400 is AWESOME! Everything we hoped for...well except the "city" water hook up which has been a pain two days in a row. This trailer is soooo. Good!!
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @atlasb, thanks for sharing! Looks like a very relaxing, peaceful location! :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Nice!!! You know you're a T@B owner when most of your pictures are of your camper setup in a natural area, in front of sunsets, etc. hehehe. j/k.. people here take some AWESOME picts sans T@Bs.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Hey atlasb, what is your review of the front table/couch/bed?  This is my wife's other objection.  We've heard its not that comfortable.  Thoughts?
  • Options
    Alan, what's wrong with the City water hookup?
  • Options
    @rhaspyhonker We find the front table/couch/bed to be comfortable for us,nice to use as a dining room, sit at to play cards, read or watch a movie. We have used it once as a 2nd bedroom and found it very comfortable and roomy. The very early 400 models had a different cushion arrangement, which made for a tight fit but the current configuration works quite nicely. The City water hookup is the same used on most RV currently being made. It is lockable but it is tricky to close, extra patience is needed, also needed is an extra washer.
  • Options
    WanderinginWonderWanderinginWonder Member Posts: 47
    @rhaspyhonker we find the front table/couch/bed area very comfortable for us. We primarily leave ours in the couch position since our four legged children love to lay in the area. If we are eating inside (which only happens when is raining) we change it back to the table and it only takes maybe 2 minutes to do that. 
    2018 T@B 400 Silver and Black "Luxo" / 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo - Jeremy and Andrea - Southport, NC
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Here's our camper area for the weekend in Uwharrie National Forest. Sorry for the multiple post. For some reason the picture is in a separate post
    2018 T@B 400 Silver and Black "Luxo" / 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo - Jeremy and Andrea - Southport, NC
  • Options

• Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    raspyhonker.  So far so good with the table.  Best thing is do not need to take it down to make a bed ala, 320.  Only been out with it for 1 night so far and took it down  to try as a bench next trip.
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    NWtabloverNWtablover Member Posts: 13
    We just got home from our first week long outing in the 400 and we loved it!  We were boondocking and without using the fridge we were still at 80% battery after 6 days, turned on the fridge and it almost drained the battery overnight! Maybe it was the initial cool down draw, or maybe the battery didn't have a truly full charge, but I'll be doing testing in our driveway after I do a multiday charge.  We also had the lights flash and the propane detector go offline a couple of times, but it reset - will be checking with factory on that one. 

Love all the little cubbies, our 10 year old finds all kinds of things he wants to keep in his "secret" storage.  I also took some relatively long showers and never ran out of warm water - it seemed  to function as an on demand water heater! 

I was concerned about tongue weight because our Honda Pilot is rated at 450lbs.  We stopped at a scale on the way home and it weighed in at 450 with a 2/3 full black tank, 2/3 full fresh tank, and 1/3 full grey tank (we had grey dump capability at campground).  Total loaded trailer weight (unhitched) was 3500lbs.  Factory told me grey tank is in front of axle so if we are concerned about tongue weight to consider not traveling with full grey. We also had some counterbalance weight in back with camp tables, etc stored. 
    Pic taken at roadstop.

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Good to see the 400 has rave reviews!  Yeah nuCamp!  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    VickeyPVickeyP Member Posts: 47
     @WanderinginWonder - please do post some pictures of your clever storage solutions! We are picking up our 400 next week and will be inspired I'm sure!
    2018 T@B 400 Sw@llowt@il  - 2015 Highlander - Dunedin, Florida
    "Not all that wander are lost..." J. R. R. Tolkien

• Options
    GailandJohnGailandJohn Member Posts: 123

If you want to see what all we have come up with in these storage areas let us know and we can put up some pictures. Its definitely better than just having another flat wall. Its great usable space for us.

Yes, I would love to see photos of how you use the storage areas in your 400! We are thinking about upgrading from our 320 Outback and are currently leaning toward the LG Max.

Gail & John 

• Options
    lapowers57lapowers57 Member Posts: 186
    After seeing the T@B 400 with the roof top solar panels, I assumed that one of the biggest advantages to this would be the ability to run the fridge while on the road and arrive at the campsite with a fully charged battery.  No one has mentioned this as and advantage.  
    2016 T@B M@X S grey/red 16 Foot Airstream, towed by 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6 4x4, Central Connecticut

• Options
    knoxville1915knoxville1915 Member Posts: 60
    When towing, even without solar, the batteries charge and the refrigerator runs. I’ve always arrived at site with full battery and cold fridge!

2018 T@B 400 (Rol@nd) towed by 2012 Toyota Tundra CrewMax (C@lgon)